Why did you choose DCT over MANUAL? - Page 10 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 35Likes

post #91 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM

I'm sure when they put rubber on wagon wheels someone complained that it wasn't macho. I have a DCT, my only wish now is for some breaks in the weather so I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:12 PM

rbw, I just read your post and without enough time to practice I can't say that I have experienced every situation that you described, but I have done some of them. The key is to figure out the modes that suit your environment and riding style.

It power slides in dirt extremely smoothly just using throttle, forget the clutch, on max settings the throttle response is great.

It will lift the front in third gear enough to completely unload the suspension, (probably wheelie on dry pavement).

I haven't had a chance to duplicate the downhill situation you describe, (avoiding engine braking. Curious about that too.
post #93 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM

I have a NC700x DCT 2012 and I am completely sold on the DCT version. On a long dirt trail recently I found out that the bike "learns" where the shift points are and adjusts accordingly. I always wondered if this was true but when I got back on pavement I could sense that the bike was acting differently until about 5-7 minutes had gone by and then it adjusted back. Plus, I haven't yet figured out how a rider can shift gears easily while standing up on the footpegs offroad.

I have put almost 28,000 miles on the bike and it has been flawless so far. In fact, the DCT technology is pretty well proven and distributed around the world and no longer qualifies as "new stuff" and I wonder if there are more shifting failures per thousand miles on manual bikes of the same class. Taking into account the fact that there is no foot shifter, no gear shift lever, no cable, no hydraulic reservoir to fail there may be a lower instance of failure with DCT than standard shifting when taking the total systems into account.

I have a 2015 Super Tenere and it shifts just fine but I wish Honda would made as good an all around motorcycle as the S-10 but equip it with a DCT. Perfection would be achieved.

I attended an offroad demonstration given by Jimmy Lewis on an adventure bike going over a 3 foot log and he did pause (at the top of the log) to say that auto shifting and Rekluse type clutches were going to be the wave of the future in offroad bikes. When a person of his stature in the motorcycle world says something, I listen. Have fun with the DCT. I sure am. If I order an Africa Twin it would be with the DCT-no question.

post #94 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM

bought dct after testing the machine. only 327 miles in less than two weeks of ownership but my early takes (i'm 49 yrs. and been riding for a long time on my share of bikes so none of that inexperienced nonsense)
*fun
*let's you concentrate more on steering, braking, surroundings by removing shifting which has multiple benefits including better cornering and safety
*similar benefit off road focusing on line and balance, not clutch and gear shifter (yes, i'm a dirt noob but a lot of experienced dirt riders feel the same way i.e. one Jimmy Lewis)
*faster away from stops in the real world by a mile - blast away from traffic because you skip the delay from the clutch release throttle turn
*faster while accelerating - dct throws cogs at the engine to keep the thrust going without interruption (except for professional riders who never missed a hard 1-2 shift in their life ...)
*improved handling due to lack of rear suspension loading/unloading during shift (honda has a nice video of this i saw somewhere on the interweb)
*more relaxed ride when you don't feel like shifting
*eliminates helmet banging with passengers
*different shift modes from relaxing and eco to sporting to fit your mood and environment
*trigger up and thumb down shift buttons allow perfect interplay (thumb down twice for quick pass, as soon as past car trigger up twice to cruise in 6th)
*easier on body, sometimes your hand and tendons get sore in traffic or after a long day, plus i have a bad left knee that appreciates not having to shift when it's not in the mood
*fantastic for riding while standing
*confidence knowing the dct will do its job right and if you don't like what it chooses it's very easy and intuitive to direct it with the buttons
*still have the option of a fully manual mode
*shift manually without rolling off the throttle
*excellent value for $US 700

i'm sure i missed a few other benefits but these came to my mind
post #95 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM

I am still getting used to mine but am definitely sold on it. The only potential issue for me so far is getting used to changing my emergency stops technique. I used to always pull the clutch in when practicing this. I can't do it on the DCT so just something to get used to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page