Why did you choose DCT over MANUAL? - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 39Likes

post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I appreciate your honesty.

So, here's mine...not trying to start a fight. I'm really trying to understand what I'm missing about the DCT.

Having come from a sportbike/racing background, giving up the clutch/gear shifter is hard to do. And it's essentially what makes a motorcycle a motorcycle IMHO. Thinking long time riders would feel the same, I'm trying to understand what convinced them to make the switch. If it's laziness...that's not good enough reason for me.

But I'm not young anymore and my body is falling apart. <--I'm serious. So I really need to think twice about my purchase. Hence the thread.
Well I'm not young nor am I a new rider. I have a manual bike as well but have never had an out and out sportsbike (nearest was a Honda Vf1000F). Your argument about gears making a motorcycle what a motorcycle should be is the main argument put forwards by the minority of diehard manual bikers on the Uk NC forum, and our experience over there is that it's impossible to change a person's perception by writing some words on a forum. It has been possible to eprsuade a few of them to go try a DCT though. However I think the sample size would be too small to reliably report whether that changes the diehards' opinions.
Rumours are that the DCT is appearing on the Fireblade next year. If it is as well received as the AT DCT has been by generally diehard journalists, it may prompt some more diehard ex sportsbike riders to roadtest the DCT
Mike
S4MST3R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ad Venture View Post
This assessment is spot-on.

I test rode both versions and bought the DCT because it was notably quicker. In fact, if only the manual was available, I would have just kept my S10.

The DCT tranny really makes the engine punch above its weight. It also takes the drudgery out of city commuting and is brilliant in the dirt as well. Like the post above, I also think the bike really shines in manual mode, both onroad and off, and it's the mode I use most for fun riding. For drudge riding or when you just want to chill, the automodes are very handy though.
A couple of points here - and they relate to the NC dct but my guess is that AT DCT owners will find the same holds true.
Firstly:
I can filter to the front of a queue, and accelerate away from the cars with a very modest throttle, and little noise or violent lurching of the bike. It makes it look much more civilised and I think it avoids putting up the backs of the drivers that you have just filtered past.
Secondly:
My pal has a Triumph Explorer 1200 and says that I always beat him away from the lights (and I drive like above). Now obviously if he wanted a race he could completely destroy the NC750X, but riding normally he has several extra operations to perform including a foot dance and probably 3 maybe even 4 gearchanges up to 60mph. That saves 2 or 3 seconds - under normal riding not drag racing.
Mike
S4MST3R likes this.
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:55 AM

I'm just not closed-minded and am willing to try new things.
S4MST3R likes this.

post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Question for DCT owners: Can you short shift on the DCTs?

I hope it's nothing like the tiptronic on my Tundra cuz the answer would be no.
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:26 PM

Yes - you can short shift. Lower sports mode and the Drive mode tend to favour the torque wave versus top end power and it shifts up pretty early. In manual mode you have full control - well actually you can't select 6th at 15mph - it will protect itself from stalling at all times, but yes you certainly can short shift
post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Rumours are that the DCT is appearing on the Fireblade next year. If it is as well received as the AT DCT has been by generally diehard journalists, it may prompt some more diehard ex sportsbike riders to roadtest the DCT
Mike
There's a big attitude about weight in that segment. I can't believe they will sell many if they do offer DCT on the Blade. There is also a bit of a resistance to electronics in many segments. Colin Chapman's philosophy of 'simplify and add lightness' has been an inspiration in every bike I have bought. And a few cars.

The carby R1 and Firblades now fetch high prices, as do 2 strokes. And there is a reason for this. Something is getting lost with technological advance, even if something else is gained. You don't get it all and then some. For me that loss is connection to the bike and consequently your surroundings. I'll always support the simpler version of a bike in my lifetime, I reckon.

So I bought a manual AT because of those reasons, but also the fact that my off-road mate got rid of his after a month of persevering with the DCT. I don't think a test ride is that conclusive. You might need a couple of weeks on DCT. And that is not going to happen for most of us. If it does not work for you quickly on a test ride and you believe the stuff you read that you get used to it, you are taking a risk you might regret.
Nemesis likes this.
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:05 PM

Rich - I suspect the older carby bikes ride so well because they didn't have to comply with ever more stringent emission controls. That hasn't really got anything to do with technological progress and it's more about strangulating engines because that is what society wants. The DCT hasn't got anything to do with that. There are many other tech advances that undoubtedly improve the ride. Brakes for one thing
My 1960's Triumph 6T was a pig of a bike. It had a floppy frame (the Bonneville wasn't much better), twin leading shoe brakes, a tickler for heavens' sake to get the engine going which was done via a kickstart. ..... but it was simpler.
Mike
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM

Yes there is them pesky regulations.

And brakes are definitely nicer. But ABS is not.....and that has pretty much snuck into the whole range of bikes now.

My road bike is an old Ducati air-cooled Supersport. still feels modern to me in terms of handling and braking....engine less so.
Nemesis likes this.
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
There's a big attitude about weight in that segment. I can't believe they will sell many if they do offer DCT on the Blade. There is also a bit of a resistance to electronics in many segments. Colin Chapman's philosophy of 'simplify and add lightness' has been an inspiration in every bike I have bought. And a few cars.

The carby R1 and Firblades now fetch high prices, as do 2 strokes. And there is a reason for this. Something is getting lost with technological advance, even if something else is gained. You don't get it all and then some. For me that loss is connection to the bike and consequently your surroundings. I'll always support the simpler version of a bike in my lifetime, I reckon.

So I bought a manual AT because of those reasons, but also the fact that my off-road mate got rid of his after a month of persevering with the DCT. I don't think a test ride is that conclusive. You might need a couple of weeks on DCT. And that is not going to happen for most of us. If it does not work for you quickly on a test ride and you believe the stuff you read that you get used to it, you are taking a risk you might regret.
Well said.

100% agreed! And I feel I'd be more in control with the simpler version than the DCT.

As for the whole DCT Blade argument, yeah...weight is a huge issue in that segment. Even ABS brakes is a feature undesired by the skilled.

However...even with all said, I'm still curious to try one out. Just need to find a "friend" who has one. LOL!
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM

The DCT will be awesome on the CBR1000R and they will sell bucket loads once people realize the performance benefits.

2016 Tricolor DCT

Last edited by True Ad Venture; 08-30-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page