Why did you choose DCT over MANUAL? - Page 7 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 39Likes

post #61 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:46 AM

You have only had that happen once in a lifetime. My guess is that prior to launching the DCT Honda will have made it happen thousands of times. My bet is that if the engine seizes the gearbox deals with it by disengaging both clutches as fast or faster than you could do it manually. The other things you do (close throttle and apply brakes and stand bike up) you'd do anyway.
Mike
DreamRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dust View Post
And the problem with decades of muscle memory (in my case anyway) is that in a blind panic situation it takes over.
This is a worry I had when I first started riding the DCT. I would go to pull in the clutch at every stop and would phantom shift sometimes. This lasted about a week and then I adjusted and started creating some new pathways and new muscle memories. I've also been rebuilding my wifes CL350 and riding that a bit in the process and the switch after 2k miles on the DCT is just that. It's like flipping a switch.

I took an advanced rider course with the AT to get comfortable with it as it's the tallest bike I've ridden, and it's DCT. The low speed maneuverability is out of this world when you don't have to worry about clutch slip. I think the bike has great balance on it's own but the DCT adds to that at low speeds. During the class we had to do a variety of emergency braking and I had no issues adjusting to the new bike.

I guess I'd sum it up like this: Manual is my first choice for cars, and I've owned 20 of them and but I can still drive an automatic with no problems.

When I'm in a car I can't wait to get there. When I'm on a bike I can't wait to not get there. -RR

My DCT AT blog
post #63 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=Regarding the rear brake, a Japanese owner has already figured out what normal brake pad fits on the parking brake (replacing the thin parking only pad) and modded his PB lever so he can use it as a hand brake as well as a parking brake.[/QUOTE]

Have you got any links to this?

post #64 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I got the DCT because it seemed that the overwhelming reviews I watched and read said that for the intermediate/advanced riders the DCT was the choice at the end of the day and only the pro riders stayed with the manuals for the off road stuff.
Well $h!t, I guess you manual riders are pros!

I'm so jealous.
Superhatch likes this.
post #65 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysneds View Post
Have you got any links to this?
Check this post.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-29425207

2016 Tricolor DCT
post #66 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM

How do you lift the front wheel to ride over obstacles, such as logs or small fallen trees in your path when riding with DCT, please?

Last edited by richgilb; 09-10-2016 at 01:32 PM.
post #67 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:28 AM

DCT or Manual model for touring in 3rd world countries

I intend to do a lot of touring with an AT in less developed countries where there may not be many Honda repair shops. If i were to get a manual, i am sure any repair shops would be able to fix clutch/gears issues. Not sure if i were to get a DCT model though. Anyone knows if this is a valid enough reason to choose a manual over a DCT. Although I would love to own a DCT.
post #68 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
How do you lift the front wheel to ride over obstacles, such as logs or small fallen trees in your path when riding with DCT, please?
You can't 'pop' the front up with the clutch as you can on a manual bike. You can engage the 'G' button on the dash, which provides a far more direct drive between engine and rear wheel - far more aggressive, much less clutch slip. Traction control off, weight behind the pegs, crack the throttle (I prefer manual DCT mode, 1st gear) and hoik it up :-)
post #69 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4MST3R View Post
You can't 'pop' the front up with the clutch as you can on a manual bike. You can engage the 'G' button on the dash, which provides a far more direct drive between engine and rear wheel - far more aggressive, much less clutch slip. Traction control off, weight behind the pegs, crack the throttle (I prefer manual DCT mode, 1st gear) and hoik it up :-)
So it is just as easy to do on DCT? I'd love to see a video of this manoeuvre.....anyone up for recording a video demonstration?

The review in Bike claims it is not possible, but I am happy to sit with popcorn, waiting for the evidence!
post #70 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 AM

Nowhere near as easy as with a clutch in my opinion. Have only tried it a handful of times and it was hit and miss - probably down to the rider!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page