Why did you choose DCT over MANUAL? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 39Likes

post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Why did you choose DCT over MANUAL?

If you own a AT DCT and have been riding for a long time (10 yrs+), why did you decide on the DCT over manual?

The DCT was created to draw in new riders/beginners. Essentially it's like riding a scooter.

I'm just curious because I could never see myself doing away with the traditional manual. Then again I said the same thing about going from a manual car to an automatic. LOL But that's a whole different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM

It might be the same story. I thought that it was designed to appeal to lazy old men.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
If you own a AT DCT and have been riding for a long time (10 yrs+), why did you decide on the DCT over manual?

The DCT was created to draw in new riders/beginners. Essentially it's like riding a scooter.

I'm just curious because I could never see myself doing away with the traditional manual. Then again I said the same thing about going from a manual car to an automatic. LOL But that's a whole different story.
Have you ridden a DCT? If not you probably need to give one a try before judging it.
Mike

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Garage
Why did you buy an automatic car???

Was it because you got fed up of changing gear in traffic?......is your auto car 'triptronic'? And do you use the paddles on the steering wheel every now and then to do slick overtakes and smooth gear changes?
Elvisto likes this.

Adrian
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Have you ridden a DCT? If not you probably need to give one a try before judging it.
Mike
You're absolutely right. And no I haven't ridden one.

So I take it you own a DCT. Care to share what I'm missing here?

I mean, can you blip the throttle and brake on a DCT? Can you roll on the throttle and modulate the clutch on a DCT?

Honestly I'm just curious what's the benefit of the DCT?

FYI - hardly any dealership in California will let you test ride the ATs.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filtercottage View Post
Why did you buy an automatic car???

Was it because you got fed up of changing gear in traffic?......is your auto car 'triptronic'? And do you use the paddles on the steering wheel every now and then to do slick overtakes and smooth gear changes?
Yes, I got fed up changing gears in traffic.

For a bike it's different. Apples to oranges. I'm rarely stuck in traffic since we can split lanes in California.
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 PM

Because it's better than the manual model (I've done loads of miles on both), and I already have other manual bikes including an Africa Twin. Ridden for 35+ years, all year round all weather

There's a general lack of understanding amongst those who've not spent time on the DCT. A bloke came up to me today in the street and asked, "Is that the automatic one or the proper one". It's 2016 - yes it has automatic modes, but they can all be overridden / intervened with in the blink of an eye if you so wish (think modern DSG boxed car systems with paddles) plus a full manual mode. In manual, it will hold any gear and bounce off the limited all day long until you trigger the next cog. It shifts up and down the box way faster than I can perform clutchless shifts on the manual. Yes, when the conditions are shite and you're filtering through rush hour traffic after a hard day it is wonderful to just lob it in Drive mode and treat it like a big scooter

Something highly addictive about keeping the throttle pinned and lobbing cogs at it with your index finger with pinpoint accuracy. Constant seamless drive - it's brilliant

The slipper clutch is superb when you want to drop 2 or three gears at a time. With a pillion it's fantastic - the seamless drive eliminating any chance of clashing helmets

I look at the DCT as being many bikes in one package. I'm convinced it's the future. Don't forget, it's been on production Hondas since 2009 - so not really new technology

To answer your questions, no - you can't blip the throttle (unless stationary in neutral) and you can't roll on the gas and modulate the clutches. It's a very different experience, but one that took me literally two or three minutes to become comfortable with. I've not once ghosted the clutch lever or gone for the foot shift...... your brain recalibrates really fast

Would urge all DCT owners to force themselves to only use full manual mode once every few rides. It's where the bike really shines in my opinion
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM

Because I test rode a DCT and it shifts quickly and smoothly. I like the idea of not having to feather the a clutch when riding steep rocky terrain. Then again, I AM old and pretty lazy... maybe the best thing about DCT is riding across town with one hand holding the Starbucks...
Elvisto, Nemesis, SurfsUp and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Niceee!

Thanks for your input guys
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:25 AM

Garage
S4MST3R, thanks for the comments and clarifications. I'm waiting for a DCT version with a firm deposit on it, subject to riding it when it is available, hopefully Sept. Still not fully sure on the DCT issue, so I've been reading as many comments as I can find. I ordered that way, since I also believe it will be the future and widen the market to those who've never driven anything with a std tranny, hence are intimidated by the thought.
Plus, I also have another ride that I can keep my clutch skills up on .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page