Used Markets? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Superhatch

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Used Markets?

Has anybody noticed a surge in used markets for the AT? Here in Turkey the most popular used vehicle website is full of them, almost all at silly low mileages and many with quite a few extras. It's true that Turkey is an odd market, with most bikes above 250cc sold to people with good disposable income, as they are very expensive here, but with their reputation as a great bike I wonder at why so many are coming straight to the market. None are being sold for higher than retail, so it's not because of people cashing in on short supply. To offer a comparison, out of 100 big enduro bikes on offer in August, over 80% are ATs.

Is this happening elsewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Our western media tells us that there are 60,000 new people in jail so maybe their previous owners are there?

'00 KLR, '08 GSF 1250FA, '16 CRF1000L

Last edited by frostbitevinnie; 09-05-2016 at 09:37 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
Maybe their previous owners are in jail?
I hate to say this, but you may have a point.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
Our western media tells us that there are 60,000 new people in jail so maybe their previous owners are there?
I chuckled. LOL
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 03:36 AM

Those in jail are not known for their love for two wheels.

You are on to a demographic trend here. Usually people with disposable income above 25K TRY per annum can afford a bike larger than 250 cc due to heavy taxes levied based on engine displacement.

The real reason behind this sale is the fact that come November, the owners of these bikes will need to garage them and pay taxes on them and they are unlikely to ride. Also come November, the whole market for bikes will see a depression in prices.

Good part is: I am sure with this many bikes on sale, you can get yourself a bargain without waiting for winter to come!

Owners also expect the showroom price to increase come february, which might give them some leverage in expecting these high prices.

Usually with big displacement bikes, the depreciation is high after the first owner: e.g. Xdiavel is 92 K TRY when new, 76 K TRY with just 100 KM on the clock. AT prices being just below sticker in second hand shows that there is a demand for these bikes.

If you have a work permit, you can purchase a bike without paying any tax on the bike. Ask a dealer.

Last edited by pragmatic; 09-09-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Added the suggestion of getting the bike new with expat pricing
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM

You are on to a demographic trend here. Usually people with disposable income above 25K TRY per annum can afford a bike larger than 250 cc due to heavy taxes levied based on engine displacement.

The real reason behind this sale is the fact that come November, the owners of these bikes will need to garage them and pay taxes on them and they are unlikely to ride. Also come November, the whole market for bikes will see a depression in prices.

Good part is: I am sure with this many bikes on sale, you can get yourself a bargain without waiting for winter to come!

Owners also expect the showroom price to increase come february, which might give them some leverage in expecting these high prices.

Usually with big displacement bikes, the depreciation is high after the first owner: e.g. Xdiavel is 92 K TRY when new, 76 K TRY with just 100 KM on the clock. AT prices being just below sticker in second hand shows that there is a demand for these bikes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post

If you have a work permit, you can purchase a bike without paying any tax on the bike. Ask a dealer.
There is something in what you say, but it doesn't take into account that used BMW's and KTM's for sale are scarce by comparison, and there's still a lot more of them on the roads. I do wonder how many ATs for sale were bought by first time riders who thought the DCT would be an easy bike to start with, but then realised it's still a big powerful bike as a first machine...they might have liked the adventure style (as we see with so many GS Advs on the road) but once out on them they scared themselves. Still, it's an interesting trend.

I would never buy a blue plate bike, when it came to selling it I'd have to find another foreigner to buy it and the chances of that are small. Anyway, the tax might be not payable but a bond equal to the amount of tax must be deposited with the Turing Club and as no interest is paid on it it's not really worth it for a bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinIstanbul View Post
There is something in what you say, but it doesn't take into account that used BMW's and KTM's for sale are scarce by comparison, and there's still a lot more of them on the roads. I do wonder how many ATs for sale were bought by first time riders who thought the DCT would be an easy bike to start with, but then realised it's still a big powerful bike as a first machine...they might have liked the adventure style (as we see with so many GS Advs on the road) but once out on them they scared themselves. Still, it's an interesting trend.

I would never buy a blue plate bike, when it came to selling it I'd have to find another foreigner to buy it and the chances of that are small. Anyway, the tax might be not payable but a bond equal to the amount of tax must be deposited with the Turing Club and as no interest is paid on it it's not really worth it for a bike.
There is truth in what you say.

The DCT will draw in a lot of noobs. And that was Honda's intentions.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
There is truth in what you say.

The DCT will draw in a lot of noobs. And that was Honda's intentions.
I think this is part of it and I think it's Honda fans like myself moving from another bike realm to the ADV world and realizing they don't fit, or it doesn't fit them. I'm curious as to how many people who bought the AT came from the sportbike world or cruiser world and thought this would strike a balance somewhere for them.

Personally I came from sportbikes and cafe racers but the comfort, ease of riding, and technical specs of the bike keep me glued to the seat.

For reference cycletrader.com has LOTS of ATs listed but 0 of them are from private sellers. Using Search Tempest (a craigslist crawler) I found a dozen of them on Craigslist nation-wide. So the used market in the US seems slim to me right now.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5732669845.html
That guy is selling his for 20K!
JasonWD likes this.

When I'm in a car I can't wait to get there. When I'm on a bike I can't wait to not get there. -RR

My DCT AT blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page