Crashes: list your injuries! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnysneds

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Crashes: list your injuries!

I don't know why I'm so drawn to people's crash stories. Sometimes, I'll sit in front of my computer for hours watching crashes after crashes on youtube.

What's even more weird is the fact that if I had the choice to choose which bones I'd want broken over others I'd have to pick the ribs. Mainly because it's a really good pain. LOL

Okay, so here are all the injuries/bones I've broken so far:

1. shattered/crushed ankle bones. Laying down flat on your back, imagine your foot almost completely off, with your toes pointing to your face. Had rod & pins inserted & removed. By far the worst bone I've ever broken. Took me a year till I could walk again.

2. Broken collar bone (who haven't broken one in racing). It's like the first bone to break. LOL

3. Broken ribs. I've broken it so many times, the upper left ribs by the sternum never set right causing a slight deformity in my chest

4. Landed on back from highside, bruising entire back

5. Road rash scars galore. Never buy cheap gear. And by cheap I don't mean in price. I mean poorly stitched. I've gone through & tested over $15K worth of top of the line gear offered to the public (Dainese, Alpinestars, etc to name a couple) in just 2 years and one of the high brands that surprisingly performed poorly had to be Dainese (really poor stitching). For example, the stitching on a custom $3K Dainese 1pc suit came undone in multiple areas in a 50+mph crash turn. Not to mention the fabric wore through quickly. Non-brand custom racing suit for $1300 crashing 80+mph turn resulted in a quarter size opening by hip but that was just 1 of 3 layers. I had one particular low end suit ($800) last me 5 high speed crashes. I could go on & on about road/track gear.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6. Dislocated shoulder - had to have surgery on rotator cuff

7. Several concussions from high speed crashes

8. Had a racer take me out, fell under his bike and his rear tire ran over my neck

9. 4 discs protruding 8mm out - originally injured from working out in gym & golfing but doctors say riding/racing made it worse. I still don't know if I believe them

Oddly, the last non-motorcycle related injury is the one that prevents me from being able to enjoy an active life. Constantly plagued with pain from the time I wake up till bed time, back pain has to be one of the worse to live with. Please wear a back protector! Back pain is no joke.

I have yet to break my arm which I doubt is all that painful compared to shattering an ankle.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share your injuries! Broken finger nail counts.

Last edited by Nemesis; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I don't know why I'm so drawn to people's crash stories. Sometimes, I'll sit in front of my computer for hours watching crashes after crashes on youtube.

What's even more weird is the fact that if I had the choice to choose which bones I'd want broken over others I'd have to pick the ribs. Mainly because it's a really good pain. LOL

Okay, so here are all the injuries/bones I've broken so far:

1. shattered/crushed ankle bones. Laying down flat on your back, imagine your foot almost completely off, with your toes pointing to your face. Had rod & pins inserted & removed. By far the worst bone I've ever broken. Took me a year till I could walk again.

2. Broken collar bone (who haven't broken one in racing). It's like the first bone to break. LOL

3. Broken ribs. I've broken it so many times, the upper left ribs by the sternum never set right causing a slight deformity in my chest

4. Landed on back from highside, bruising entire back

5. Road rash scars galore. Never buy cheap gear. And by cheap I don't mean in price. I mean poorly stitched. I've gone through & tested over $15K worth of top of the line gear offered to the public (Dainese, Alpinestars, etc to name a couple) in just 2 years and one of the high brands that surprisingly performed poorly had to be Dainese (really poor stitching). For example, the stitching on a custom $3K Dainese 1pc suit came undone in multiple areas in a 50+mph crash turn. Not to mention the fabric wore through quickly. Non-brand custom racing suit for $1300 crashing 80+mph turn resulted in a quarter size opening by hip but that was just 1 of 3 layers. I had one particular low end suit ($800) last me 5 high speed crashes. I could go on & on about road/track gear.

6. Dislocated shoulder - had to have surgery on rotator cuff

7. 4 discs protruding 8mm out - originally injured from working out in gym & golfing but doctors say riding/racing made it worse. I still don't know if I believe them

Oddly, the last non-motorcycle related injury is the one that prevents me from being able to enjoy an active life. Constantly plagued with pain from the time I wake up till bed time, back pain has to be one of the worse to live with. Please wear a back protector! Back pain is no joke.

I have yet to break my arm which I doubt is all that painful compared to shattering an ankle.

Share your injuries! Broken finger nail counts.
I commend your persistence! Don't know if I'd still be riding had I had your comprehensive list of injuries.

Touch wood I've never broken anything when I've come off a bike. Probably because I ride too slow. When I've dumped dirt bikes I've always been lucky enough to dust myself off and keep going.

Sorry I have no gruesome stories to share, but touch wood, I'm pleased about that.

Cheers

Wadeo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Horse-riding: 3 broken ribs
Bicycle-riding: 2 broken ribs, broken finger
Rugby Union: broken collarbone
Martial arts: broken right toe
Bar-room fights: broken nose (twice)
Gym: badly torn calf muscle
Motorcycling (road and dirt): damaged knee ligament, cuts, bruises, minor abrasions.

Luck and experience for the last on the list I think.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:27 PM

I went 36 years of motorcycling without an accident (I'm not counting the times I dropped my bike). Then I had 2 crashes in the last 2 years--Feb 2014 and March 2016. Both times I wrote of my R1200GS.

First one: I hit a kangaroo in dark at 100 km/h, went over the bars and slid down the road on my back for 60 metres. Not a scratch. I had a mildly hurty ankle.

Second one: high-side crash at 80 km/h. Slid down the road for 20 metres. A couple of grazes on my back and right leg.

Aside form killing motorcycles, pretty boring really. I appear to be immortal, so far at least.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post

First one: I hit a kangaroo in dark at 100 km/h, went over the bars and slid down the road on my back for 60 metres. Not a scratch. I had a mildly hurty ankle.
LOL that just reminds me...I really don't understand why animals wait at the last minute to jump in front of an oncoming vehicle. If they're afraid wouldn't it make sense to run the opposite direction of headlights/vehicle...kinda like when a predator is chasing it? But nnnnooooo...they head straight for it. LOL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:11 AM

Nasty thread!

Snapped my Humerus in half and smashed my elbow to pieces on a KTM 2 Stroke, wasn't very humorous! 4 operations and lots of bolts later...

Ill spare y'all from the crazy arm angle photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John Sneddon 12 March 2013.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	9042   Click image for larger version

Name:	John Sneddon 30 May 2013.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	9050  
Nemesis likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Wow!

That's a crazy break Johnnysneds. Thanks for sharing!

I should load up my x-ray pics, too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page