I don't know why I'm so drawn to people's crash stories. Sometimes, I'll sit in front of my computer for hours watching crashes after crashes on youtube.
What's even more weird is the fact that if I had the choice to choose which bones I'd want broken over others I'd have to pick the ribs. Mainly because it's a really good pain. LOL
Okay, so here are all the injuries/bones I've broken so far:
1. shattered/crushed ankle bones. Laying down flat on your back, imagine your foot almost completely off, with your toes pointing to your face. Had rod & pins inserted & removed. By far the worst bone I've ever broken. Took me a year till I could walk again.
2. Broken collar bone (who haven't broken one in racing). It's like the first bone to break. LOL
3. Broken ribs. I've broken it so many times, the upper left ribs by the sternum never set right causing a slight deformity in my chest
4. Landed on back from highside, bruising entire back
5. Road rash scars galore. Never buy cheap gear. And by cheap I don't mean in price. I mean poorly stitched. I've gone through & tested over $15K worth of top of the line gear offered to the public (Dainese, Alpinestars, etc to name a couple) in just 2 years and one of the high brands that surprisingly performed poorly had to be Dainese (really poor stitching). For example, the stitching on a custom $3K Dainese 1pc suit came undone in multiple areas in a 50+mph crash turn. Not to mention the fabric wore through quickly. Non-brand custom racing suit for $1300 crashing 80+mph turn resulted in a quarter size opening by hip but that was just 1 of 3 layers. I had one particular low end suit ($800) last me 5 high speed crashes. I could go on & on about road/track gear.
6. Dislocated shoulder - had to have surgery on rotator cuff
7. Several concussions from high speed crashes
8. Had a racer take me out, fell under his bike and his rear tire ran over my neck
9. 4 discs protruding 8mm out - originally injured from working out in gym & golfing but doctors say riding/racing made it worse. I still don't know if I believe them
Oddly, the last non-motorcycle related injury is the one that prevents me from being able to enjoy an active life. Constantly plagued with pain from the time I wake up till bed time, back pain has to be one of the worse to live with. Please wear a back protector! Back pain is no joke.
I have yet to break my arm which I doubt is all that painful compared to shattering an ankle.
Share your injuries! Broken finger nail counts.