Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2017 model year changes to Africa Twin

142K views 159 replies 77 participants last post by  fuelpincher 
#1 ·
#6 ·
True cruise control on motorcycles with cable actuated throttles has been around a long time. My '84 Yamaha Venture had a factory vacuum servo cruise control system, as did high end '87 on Goldwings. MCCruise (Australia) has offered similar aftermarket systems since 1997. And a lot of bikers have adapted automotive aftermarket systems to motorcycles, both vacuum and electronic (Audiovox/Rostra and more recently Brandon AP500 systems). Honda wont have any trouble putting cruise control on the Africa Twin...if they choose to - and they should.

#8 ·
I wonder where that leaves those of us with corroding spokes on the 2016 models. Mine have already started albeit I am trying to keep it at bay with AFC50. However we haven't even seen salted winter roads yet and it is happening already. I am holding fire for the time being.

#107 ·
Hi, I live in Portugal and even with a very moderate weather my Africa Twin spokes are very rusted. I need to take her for the 12.000km service and will complain about it. I also have trouble with throttle hiccups. Sometimes even the engine cuts off. It seems to be a general problem.

#11 ·
A friend of mine was told last week by a Canadian Honda dealer that Honda Canada and US would receive the tri-color (White red and blue) for 2017, and that the Rally Red bike wouldn't be available.

Let's wait and see... ;-)

#12 ·
Hi Griff,

Bike was registered in Mar '16.
I have rusty spokes and the bike has not been out in the salt. I called HONDA UK who took the bike's details, my dealer requested images which have been sent to HONDA UK. I await a decision.
As a matter of interest I had this problem with my 640 Adv, KTM agreed to replace the wheels or allow me a credit to that value. I took the credit and had the spokes & nipples replaced with ss at Central Wheel, B'mingham. No issues since and they look very good.

M

#13 · (Edited)
I just hope I get my AT Dakar DCT soon. Been waiting since April! Dealership has gotten every kind in, but the Dakar DCT. The Dealer has two AT's on his show room currently, both a manual and a DCT that are silver. I have been offered every thing but what I paid for. Now the tyhoon has hit the plant in Japan. A earth quake in April and a typhoon in September. The dealership has just not been sent a AT Dakar DCT and I can not blame the poor folks in Japan either. Sometimes, STUFF just happens.

#17 ·
There might be something coming?

http://hondamotoglobal.com

Local dealer has been advised by West Australian State distributor that for 2017 we will get Red instead of Silver for the base model, and that for ABS the Dakar Rally Red is replaced by Blue. Cant see Honda including the Africa Twin in a 2017 promo just for recolouring though.

One would presume Honda would sort the spokes as they were able to better spec and QA their suppliers and not wait for a model update?

#64 ·
Motorcycle News published and interesting article on Euro 3/4 standards a few days ago. Thought you'd like to see this paragraph...

Euro 4 affects all new models introduced in 2016, and all new bikes from 2017. So, for example, the new Honda Africa Twin, new Suzuki GSX-R1000 and Yamaha MT-10 are all Euro 4 compliant, and by 2017 all existing new bikes will have to be too. Some models already are, because similar emissions requirements to Euro 4, including the evaporative emissions test, have been in force in California for several years.

Here's link to the whole article...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...missions-impossible-what-euro-4-really-means/

#22 ·
2017 USA colors will be Dakar (Red, White, Black) and White, Red, and Blue for manual.
DCT will also be offered in these color and Red.
This is from Honda site. Says that handle bars and foot pegs can be adjust for comfort. I do not know if this is a new feature or just advertising.

#27 ·
Everyone has either the tricolor or the black and red over here. They are as common as GS's. I am now sorry that I didn't go for Black in the first place as they are very rare. I could have got one but didn't know that the shop had one in storage. :(

#31 ·
Is this true?

Are they really going to bring the HRC-style tri-color to north america?

Anyone else heard anything on this?
My dealer in Quebec Canada (North Enough Eh!), received a brand new HRC-Tri-Color this week and it's on the show room floor since last Saturday (11-19)! It's a beautiful machine. I had the opportunity to Test Ride the DCT model...I was impressed - never ridden an automatic bike before!
Now I play the patience game...wait to see the 2017 offerings and see the cost and any improvements and see if it's worth the difference or pull the trigger on the 2016.

#36 ·
No1 item needed is electronic Speed Control/Pit Control miss named "cruise control" - once you have used this you understand how it can save your licence in towns. I first had it on a Tiger1200explorer and since on a KTM1290Adventure and it soon pays for itself and saves your drivers licence points - when you come into a small town and suddenly have to ride at 50kph this system makes it easy and gives your brain time to adjust to what seems like 20kph. All the usual anti-tech people will say you dont need it , and i never use it on twisty roads where i love to twist the throttle myself - but having owned and used this - its now my number 1 "need it " item for long distance ops because its a true licence saver when police hover with laser guns to strip points away from your licence is slow zones where you find yourself doing 72 in a 50 zone. Far superior and safer than throttle locks , Electronic CC is very easy to fit to any bike with a servo actuated throttle/injector system and works very smoothly and safely - not having the option to fit ECC on a 2017 Adv bike is a deal breaker for me going forward now.

And Red is only colour for a Honda

#41 ·
I made a point of chatting to one of the Honda reps at the NEC show this week. The chap admitted cruise control is the most requested feature on the Africa Twin and Cross Tourer but Honda believe it detracts from the experience. I pointed out people don't have to use it! And they are losing at least me as a customer by not having it as an option. He also said both the bikes are 'ride by wire' so it would be easy for Honda to fit.

Come on Honda!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.