matching different tires - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SkipD

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

matching different tires

Thanks for your patience in advance I am newbie.
Currently running Pirelli scorpion 2 front and rear. Can I run a Continental tkc 80 knobby on just the front with the Pirelli on the rear. I cant find both a front and rear. What will that do the handling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Garage
Of course you can. They might or might not work well together but the only way to find out is to try them.

I generally try to stay with the same genre of tyre and also generally change them as a pair unless the front is hardly worn, but for best handling it is best to have two new tyres of the same make and type on together.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 03:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3peakstwin View Post
Thanks for your patience in advance I am newbie.
Currently running Pirelli scorpion 2 front and rear. Can I run a Continental tkc 80 knobby on just the front with the Pirelli on the rear. I cant find both a front and rear. What will that do the handling?
Ass Griff saysits not an issue but you have to make sure that you understand the limitations. I often run a knobby front and a road based rear if I am going to be doing high miles on sealed roads with limited grip offroad sections. Its very easy to damage the front in that case if you push to hard and just be carefull if its wet on the sealed roads. You will soon understand what it feels like in different conditions. A lot of people run the TKC80 on the front with a mix of tires on the rear.
Wadeo likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:15 PM

You shouldn't have a problem.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'd be extra cautious during the first few miles just to make sure the difference in traction/feel, if that exists, doesn't mess you up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:30 AM

I just put on a PIRELLI Scorpion Rally "C" Front,
and a PIRELLI Scorpion MT90 A/T Rear.
So far the combo feels great on the road, taking to the dirt this weekend, keep you posted.

The Burger.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 AM

I was also thinking of the Scorpion Trail 2 but i can't find a R18 size. I mainly wanted them because of good rain grip. How do these tires hold up in the rain?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NielsG View Post
I was also thinking of the Scorpion Trail 2 but i can't find a R18 size. I mainly wanted them because of good rain grip. How do these tires hold up in the rain?
I think HONDA caught Pirelli and a few other manufacturers out, with the sizing 150/70-18, but from what I hear we should see more available in the near future. Also I can't speak from personal experience but from what i've read and heard the Scorpion Trail 2 is quite good in the wet.
My combo may seem strange to many, but after the weekend ride 50/50 on & of road, I'm quite happy with their performance, in fact on a section of loose gravel road the front tire saved my bacon a few times. Although I must say that I can't wait to get my hands on the new Scorpion Rally STR, due in Australia maybe early 2017. These I think are going to be great

The Burger.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:08 AM

Wow, those look nice indeed. The Scorpion Trail is my first choice as well and I hope they fix it soon for the AT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page