Adventure Bike TV - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Adventure Bike TV

An interesting UK program on youtube is about adventurers/adventure bikers in general and this episode S3E7 especially about the AT on long distance as well as off road.*

I like to share this with you
https://youtu.be/gijRAAkXI5Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:32 PM

Garage
Yep - take a group of life long GS owners (who are waterlogged on the Bavarian Kool-Aid) and throw in one AT and let them take 5 minute "test rides" on it, they prefer the GS!

Team Dorkmissle
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:41 PM

The bike not set up right, 80/ 20 tires and mud? and the says he is not a good rider and it shows. I have been riding for over 50years started when I was 3yrs old [I had a great dad]ridden over a million miles, 550,000 miles on a 1975 gl1000 alone. Have had over 45 different motorcycles have 25 of them still. Tried the manual and the dct and ended up ith a dct because it gives you the best of both. It took about a 1000 kms to figure it out, the only thing is really tight u turns, but all you have to do is drag the rear brake with your foot or use the left hand brake. I also like the hand brake for slow down hill braking right foot down or standing on the pegs or tight up hill slow trails both feet down.
I have ridden bmw 800gs for two years, and the crf1000 is hands down 10 times nicer bike to ride. The 270 crank gives it realllllyyy nice torque. But beamer guys are beamer guys, a couple of the guys I ride with [beamer guys] will not swap bikes.
I do ride this bike 60-70% off road.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:57 PM

Garage
Sadly the Chap doing the commentary on the AT in this episode would not know a decent Adventure bike if it slapped him in the face. I prefer to take the views of the expert riders who he employs occasionally to ride the bikes. I agree only with his comment that it will take a few years to ascertain if the current AT will be a legend, but Mr Hoskins will not be the person who I will be asking that question of in a few years time.

Yes, You guessed it, I have no time for Hoskins whatsoever, and while I think Adventure Bike TV is a reasonably useful set up, I think perhaps that Hoskins should stick to producing and leave the opinions and commentary to the real Experts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM

Garage
An in "depth review" including pillion, where they couldnt be bothered to adjust the rear damping, so the bike gets slagged for a harsh ride two up, pitiful.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 08:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
An in "depth review" including pillion, where they couldnt be bothered to adjust the rear damping, so the bike gets slagged for a harsh ride two up, pitiful.
Just preload adjustment with pillion passenger is usually not enough. At least with my former GS I allways wondered, why it was considered good with pillion. We are both quite thin, but still the max preload with pillion felt not to be enough. Then once I tried to tighten the rebound damping by 1/4 turn too. What a difference! Then I understood why GS is considered good with pillion.

I only had time to ride a half tank with my new AT before winter, but the back end feels a bit soft so I quess it also needs rebound tightening as well with the pillion.

Last edited by -mek-; 12-12-2016 at 08:22 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:11 PM

Garage
Yes, its a common misconception that adding/removing pre-load stiffens or relaxes suspension, that is not its purpose, pre-load is about ride height and the bike geometry on the its wheels. Damping has a large part to play in their experience no doubt.

Last edited by eltel62; 12-12-2016 at 02:14 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM

I've just found time to watch this and pretty much agree with most of the comments: the bikes need to be re-tested with proper off-road tyres and a proper suspension set up. But I don't think Honda have done themselves any marketing favours by pitching it as a dirt focused adventure bike and then fitting 80 or 90% road-biased OEM tyres. Do that and you are effectively asking to be compared to the more road-biased bikes like the GS, and if you take on the GS on its turf you will lose because it is the better road bike. I bought the AT because of its dirt focus, I ride 70% dirt and swapped the tyres for 50/50s pretty much straight away. What I have now is the best in class...off road. That is the AT's strength, and that's why they should come with TKC80s as OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page