Help whats wrong here - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Help whats wrong here

Sorry I tried to load pictures but I guess I don't know how. I will try later Thanks

When I got my bike home I noticed my handle bars were off. Being I traveled 100 miles to pick it up I was not going back to them so I went to my local shop after a long weekend of riding (600 mi). The first thing they asked me was "did you drop it" and my answer was no. Anyway we figured that the handle bar clamp got bent during shipping and if I could not get it replaced under warranty I would just buy the part and replace it myself but not till the cold weather forced me to put the bike away. Well that has come so yesterday I pulled the bars off and removed the two clamps and found they were not bent. I loosened up the triple clamps and tried to twist the forks but they will not move. Any ideas on what else could be wrong? Thanks

2016 Silver DCT # 000051

Last edited by Fster; 12-11-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: no pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Nothing wrong. put the front wheel between your knees and wrench the bars back straight. Pretty standard dirt bike practice.

The handlebar clamps are fitted with a rubber mount/washer and there is some movement possible ...

Unless you've really pranged it, no need to go through the loosen front axle / fork clamp / realignment routine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Garage
Mine was the same way at delivery. Just had to twist it back a bit with a friend clamping the front wheel between his legs while I sat on the bike and twisted the bars. Easy.

Rob

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 05:22 AM

Garage
It would be preferable to turn the forks against the lock stop and then twist the bars back into shape on their rubbers. That way one avoids straining the fork seals.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry guys I figured it would be a little hard for me to explain with out pictures so I finally figured out how to add them. As you can see the wheel is straight and the handle bars are straight (per-say) I thought the bar clamp was bent on the left side but I pulled them both and they are fine. I even switched them just to make sure one wasn't bent. Its not the bars that are bent just look at the Honda emblem in the center. As I stated before I loosened the triple clamps from around the fork tubes and tried to twist them to the right but they will not budge. Think maybe loosening the top center triple clamp nut might do it?

2016 Silver DCT # 000051

Last edited by Fster; 12-12-2016 at 01:32 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:27 PM

I noticed mine did that after I had installed some risers, I was worried the risers were the culprit, but apparently it can happen on the stock height. I just turned it all the way to whatever side I could push against to straighten them out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got it! I took everything apart yesterday and reassembled everything and then the bars were off to the opposite side so I figured it had to do with how the bar risers were sitting. After seeing that, I loosened up the bar risers and tightened the handle bars then aligned the handlebars and tightened down the bar risers. If you put the bar risers in and tighten them and they are off it will pull the bars to either side. Thanks for all help.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page