How serious is the 384lb/174kg load limit? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

How serious is the 384lb/174kg load limit?

That is the official weight limit from Honda's literature. I am 200lb/91kg the girlfrien is "approximately" {She would kill me if i gave the real number) 120lb/54kg. That would leave 64lb/29kg for luggage gear and gas when we go two up camping.

I am not going to carry my whole apartment and I know from backpacking that every ounce/gram counts. But that still seems like a slight amount when you consider the weight of alum luggage itself. And i am definately going with the alum Givi or SW-Motech luggage. I live in a big city and there are some thieving people here. I know nothing is going to stop a thief if he/she is really determined but I want to make it as hard as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:34 PM

Sure about the 174kg?? Here in Germany specifikation is a load of 195kg with full gas tank, for manual and DCT.

dry weight 208 kg (STD) / 212 kg (ABS) / 222 kg (ABS & DCT)
with full tank 228 kg (STD) / 232 kg (ABS) / 242 kg (ABS & DCT)
max weight 423 kg (STD) / 427 kg (ABS) / 437 kg (ABS & DCT)
Max. load 195 kg

Best regards from Bavaria,
Wolfgang

Last edited by Batzen; 01-07-2017 at 11:37 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM

My manual (US) says 178kg or 392 lbs. *including rider, passenger, and all accessories.

If you buy the SW Motech, you can also use soft luggage with them which should get you another 20 lbs. or so over the aluminum panniers.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaba1 View Post
That is the official weight limit from Honda's literature. I am 200lb/91kg the girlfrien is "approximately" {She would kill me if i gave the real number) 120lb/54kg. That would leave 64lb/29kg for luggage gear and gas when we go two up camping.

I am not going to carry my whole apartment and I know from backpacking that every ounce/gram counts. But that still seems like a slight amount when you consider the weight of alum luggage itself. And i am definately going with the alum Givi or SW-Motech luggage. I live in a big city and there are some thieving people here. I know nothing is going to stop a thief if he/she is really determined but I want to make it as hard as possible.

Oh well looks like you'll need to leave something at home

Only joking but what I think you may need, most people call it suspension improvements.
Simple, if you don't want to damage the bike on a fall, fit crash bars.
If you want to carry more weight fit heavier springs, then you wont have to worry about breaking things, and enjoy your riding.

The Burger.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Whenever I see motorcycle load limits I think of the time I was in China and saw a family of five on a Honda passport.

Last edited by edzhonda; 01-10-2017 at 08:30 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM

I am nearly 260lbs after all the Christmas cokies and my wife 100lbs. So with luggage I would technicaly need yellow warning lights like a heavy goods transport

So far I never had the feeling that there is a issue for the bike with my weight. The only problem I had so far is that even on max preload the rear spring is too soft.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I got that number from an article in Road Runner Magazine. So it might not be the exact figure.

I definitely need hard pannier and top box. I live in and highly urbanized city where I would not put things in soft luggage while riding around town.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page