Africa Twin, how is it for sport touring? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:19 PM

Garage
I have a few of the bikes you are comparing, so I will share my direct experience.

The AT is a decent sport touring bike, but it kind of depends on how sporty you want to get on the pavement. The 21" front limits feel and grip. At a reasonable pace, things are good. On dirt roads or dirt trails, the AT is great for its size. Surprisingly good.

I have an FJR and although heavier, it is a better mile eater. I put 22k miles on a Super Tenere and loved it as a sport touring mount, but it is not as good on dirt as the AT. I have a KTM 1290 Super Adventure and it is a GREAT sport touring bike and good on dirt roads and ok on dirt trails. That motor and sweet trans are just a delight. I have ridden a friends FJ09 and it is a very nice sport touring mount. I love the motor and the front end feel is quite confidence inspiring. The wind protection is not as good as the AT.

I love my AT and will be taking some 7-10 day trips on it this coming year. We will see how I feel then, but for now, my all day rides have been a delight.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the feedback, it all helps.

Well, stopped by the two local Honda dealers today and they both had ATs in stock but only the DCT version which one of them let me play with out in their large parking lot. Would have liked to go out in traffic but oh well. First impression is very favorable, smooth motor, torquey, very comfortable seating position, not as nimble as my FJ-09 but then that's expected with the 21" front wheel.

Have an appointment to see a used AT tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out. It's all stock so a fresh palette. Wish me luck.

Last edited by pcarnut; 01-11-2017 at 12:28 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM

I got the AT especially because it has NOT got all the fancy electrical stuff like the GS to go wrong.
I had a Multistrada with all the bells and whistles, the electrics were scary the amount of times they went wrong while many miles from home. Fantastic bike to ride but so many problems.
My choice of bike was not, and is not a cash choice I can get what I want. I checked out the BMW range and it's ALL about which buttons or menus to use, no thanks! No use to me 500 miles from a dealer when it goes into safe mode.
The AT is a gem for touring it loves the twisties and long fast roads too. If you want to go bush it's pretty good at that too.
All together I was really surprised how good the AT has turned out to be, yes the forks dive. And?? So??
The handling at speed and cornering at high speed (100 mph and up) is impressive although I think the Dunlops are total crap and unpredictable, easily fixed by changing to scorpions or similar. Low speed twisties only problem I had was throwing the bike in too quickly. It's very light and turns in fast.
OEM center stand works for me just fine. Actually all of it is fine.
I had both wheels out just to see what to expect rather than find out the hard way on a dark wet night and it was so easy. Rider seat comfort is better than the Mult but perhaps not as good as the BMW but I haven't done thousands on the BMW.
The ABS works perfectly and the traction control is gentle, smooth and easy to change on the hoof not like the Ducati which was aggressive and difficult to change.
Brakes work perfectly even when being tortured on steep twisties on a long down hill stages.
I had to buy without testing and was concerned that I'd be disappointed with the power after going down 50HP well I didn't have to worry it's a rocket ship. All up totally pleased with it. Best bang for for the buck in many years.
dancerdave and SWRapp like this.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Been out on mine today, out to the Welsh coast and back via a bit of Snowdonia. It's a brilliant tourer! The fairing and screen work brilliantly well , I hate ear plugs and just don't need them on the AT. Today was a mixture of sweeping B roads, Anroad blast and loads of twisty back roads, some right along the coast. The bikes at home whatever you throw at it. Yes I find the seat a bit hard after a couple of hours, today less so and I would love a bit more grunt....but who wouldn't 😁
If you want to go off road I suppose it will do that too, not my reason for buying, everything I've thrown at it in 5500 miles it's handled with style.
And it looks fantastic too... mines a tri colour 👍
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:19 PM

The AT is a back to basics adventure bike with a strong focus on real off road ability. The AT isn't BAD at sports touring but why would you want to use it as a sports touring bike at all when there are loads of actual sports touring bikes out there that would kick it's in power, handling and comfort?
eltel62 likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the comments, a big help.

Drumroll: Came home with my new toy tonight. It a manual trans, like new, with 200 miles on it. First owner bought it but never used it so time to sell. Let the farkling begin.

By the time I was home and things put away, only had time for a very short 15 minute ride but wow, I'm going to really like this bike. First impressions are excellent.
SWRapp likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:05 AM

Congrats on the new bike! You'll have a lot on fun with it.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 AM

Let us no how u are getting on with it and what changes u make.best of luck.il hv mine in 2 weeks or so I'm told.im a bit apprehensive
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Let us no how u are getting on with it and what changes u make.best of luck.il hv mine in 2 weeks or so I'm told.im a bit apprehensive
Absolutely, will do. First on the farkle list is a windshield, followed by mounting some crash guards, horns and some Clearwater lights. Luckily the first owner installed the centerstand so one less thing to do.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter V. View Post
Congrats on the new bike! You'll have a lot on fun with it.
Thanks!! Can't wait to put some miles on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page