Advise needed - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Advise needed

I am seriously considering doing the TAT. My concerns are, I will be doing it alone, I will be doing it on a big heavy bike (my AT) and my final concern is my age (57). I have been riding a motorcycle now for 47 years and consider myself above average but have not been on a dirt bike for a very long time now and I am new to this adventurer thing. A big concern is getting into some ruff stuff dropping the AT and not being able to pick it up. I will not have time to do the whole thing but I would like to make it to the Colorado border (about 1900 miles) then slab it for home. I'd like to hear from others who have done the trail and what they think about doing it alone on a big bike. I have done many long trips on the road but none on the trail so I think I'm just looking for some encouragement to tackle something like this.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Garage
I have no doubt that you can do the TAT at your age. Always better if you ride with a partner. Hard to do, but take it slow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arkansas Orak Cafe.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	13834  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 PM

Thumbs up

Hi - I'd love to do that trail some day too.

Have you put the bike down (gently) and tried to pick it up?

I realize this is not the same as being in a tough spot out on the trail but it might give you an idea.

You've probably got this covered but another task to master for that trip could flat/tube repair.

Keep roll'n!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fster View Post
My concerns are, I will be doing it alone, I will be doing it on a big heavy bike (my AT) and my final concern is my age (57). I have been riding a motorcycle now for 47 years and consider myself above average but have not been on a dirt bike for a very long time now and I am new to this adventurer thing. A big concern is getting into some ruff stuff dropping the AT and not being able to pick it up.
Hi Fster, as suggested try to pick it up at home first, 250kg+ its almost impossible unless your name is Arnold.. I know i've tried out on the trail myself, being 59 and 85kg there was no way i was picking it up by myself, so I did some researsh, maybe your interested maybe you not? Check this out, I'll be getting one for my long solo trips. Dustriders Hoist.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/index.ph...product_id=531

Hope this helps.

The Burger.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK I have dropped my AT already and had to wait on this dirt road till a farmer in a tractor came by to help me lift it. I was on a slight incline with made matters worse but even so I don't think I would have gotten it up by myself. I can pick up my 700lb ST 1300 easier than the AT because it has tip over wings which keeps it from going over all the way and a lower center of gravity. I thought maybe a ratchet strap and some rope to carry along and if I do go over maybe hook it to a tree and ratchet it back up. I do suffer from a bad back and pulling my back out on a ride would be the end of the trip.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 PM
DLG

If I was going at it alone I'd for sure get a Warn X-17 Adventure winch. :-)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fster View Post
I am seriously considering doing the TAT. My concerns are, I will be doing it alone, I will be doing it on a big heavy bike (my AT) and my final concern is my age (57). I have been riding a motorcycle now for 47 years and consider myself above average but have not been on a dirt bike for a very long time now and I am new to this adventurer thing. A big concern is getting into some ruff stuff dropping the AT and not being able to pick it up. I will not have time to do the whole thing but I would like to make it to the Colorado border (about 1900 miles) then slab it for home. I'd like to hear from others who have done the trail and what they think about doing it alone on a big bike. I have done many long trips on the road but none on the trail so I think I'm just looking for some encouragement to tackle something like this.
Hi Fster:
I have no doubt you will be able to do it! We are in about the same 'bracket'. I would strongly suggest, what other guys are also saying, to practice the pick up technique. It is a technique.
I rode GSA's for many years and had to pick up a couple of time. If you can get a tool to help and a good technique you will be fine. Also, having a set of crash bars on the bike will assist because it changes the angle that you have to lift.

It is always wiser to have a riding buddy with you on a extreme type of ride. You will be fine..
Jimrides likes this.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 PM

The AT lays quite flat when you drop it, even with crash bars. Having said that, I find it quite easy to pick up by turning the handlebars in and using the frame just below the rear brake reservoir with the other hand. It's even easier if you have Barkbusters fitted. Put it in first gear or lash the front brake if you are on an incline. Take a series of short squat lifts, stepping backwards into the machine as you go, job done. The first foot or so is the hardest, after which it becomes progressively easier. Oh, and don't take off the pillion footpegs or it will lay even flatter. All this is from experience as I have dropped mine several times now. I feel sure anyone of average strength could lift an AT in this way, but if you are worried about a potential back injury then don't risk it. I tried one of those strap lifters and found it much quicker and easier to just lift the bike manually.
I often ride alone in the Australian bush btw, it's riskier than travelling with a mate I know, but I am OK with my bushcraft skills. I carry a Delorme Inreach, map and compass, tarp, first aid kit, Sawyer mini water filter, knife and ferrocerium fire rod as an absolute minimum. Tell people where you expect to be every day, and happy adventuring....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Derek for the info, I will have to practice that method before I make the commitment. I'm still searching for a partner to avoid being stuck out there. Be safe out there in the OutBack.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Fster, go for it. You can always bail out if you get too tired. As regards your age, poof, I have you by 11 years and live by the philosophy that you're never too old to hurt yourself.

Lifting the bike is easy, lifting the bike with a sprained ankle or twisted wrist might be hard, try to find a partner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page