Nice surprises about the AT - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Tigerjohn
  • 2 Post By MotoPumps

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Nice surprises about the AT

So, you read the reviews, test rode one and then bought the cherished AT. You knew it would be good but it was even better than expected in some ways. What were these?

Here's a few starters, based on the first few hundred miles:

1. Pillion comfort. I was a bit worried after several reviews suggested it was none too comfy for the missus. Mine says it's the most comfy bike she's ridden. She likes the open knee position (don't be cheeky!) and the raised pillion seat means she can see more than the back of my head! The long travel suspension and big grab handles also get the seal of approval.
2. Light handling. I expected it would be heavier - its lightness and sure-footed handling even with a pillion and luggage are better than anticipated.
3. Stock screen. Probably the best I've come across as OEM fitment. Very little buffetting and good, unobtrusive airflow. (Clearly not to everyone's liking on this forum).
4. Exhaust note. Lovely deep rumble from the standard can, especially when surging forward in a high gear. I don't think I'll need an after-market can (though I can't help looking at the options!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjohn View Post
So, you read the reviews, test rode one and then bought the cherished AT. You knew it would be good but it was even better than expected in some ways. What were these?

Here's a few starters, based on the first few hundred miles:

1. Pillion comfort. I was a bit worried after several reviews suggested it was none too comfy for the missus. Mine says it's the most comfy bike she's ridden. She likes the open knee position (don't be cheeky!) and the raised pillion seat means she can see more than the back of my head! The long travel suspension and big grab handles also get the seal of approval.
2. Light handling. I expected it would be heavier - its lightness and sure-footed handling even with a pillion and luggage are better than anticipated.
3. Stock screen. Probably the best I've come across as OEM fitment. Very little buffetting and good, unobtrusive airflow. (Clearly not to everyone's liking on this forum).
4. Exhaust note. Lovely deep rumble from the standard can, especially when surging forward in a high gear. I don't think I'll need an after-market can (though I can't help looking at the options!)
I think you are dead on with my thoughts as well. I would also add that the looks of the bike I liked at first but now I love it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Garage
1. Great Looks, IMHO
2. Relatively rare on the road. You don't see one every day
3. Decent aerodynamics compared to many other ADV bikes
4. Runs on Regular Gas
5. Fully adjustable suspension
6. Reasonable weight for large ADV bike
7. Smooth motor, but still has character and nice exhaust note
8. Aluminum Fat Bar. Light weight and looks cool
9. Stock headlight is decent for night riding
10. Seat adjustable to two heights
Drum Dog and Flyer like this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 AM

I liked so many things as above, the looks, the sound, the ride. I was surprised that it seemed so surefooted on the stock tires after all the negatives I have read about them. Still going to replace them with 804,805's before we hit anything more than gravel. I took an hour to get familiar with the controls and it all came around to making sense. About the only feature seemingly difficult to me to use is the count down odo, kind of laborious to get to. I ran my maiden voyage in the first sport mode up from D and found that the paddle shifters would change gears even in that auto shifting mode. I really liked that. As others have said very comfortable but will probably want some fatter hand grips. About the only difficulty if see is figuring out which bash plate, crash bars and other fitments to get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page