Giant brass rod things! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By black99S
  • 1 Post By Wouter V.

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Giant brass rod things!

The other night I removed my hand guards to fit some Barkbusters,when I took the bolt out of the end of each handlebar this big long brass type rod came out with it,this bar is unlike anything iv ever seen before and iv had loads of bikes over the years.
Said bar is about 5-6" long and has little rubber grommets on each end and in the middle,I'm guessing these grommets stop the bar rattling around inside the handlebar.
What exactly does this bar do? Is it to aid the bar weights and reduce vibration or something magical that the Honda boffins have devised!

Completely pointless question I know but like I said iv never seen anything like it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:46 AM

Aren't they the bar-end weights? Keeps vibrations down by weighting the ends of the bar. They really do help and keep you from getting vibrations which cause numbness in the hands.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Q-Ball, You are right,
Honda has used these anti-vibration things for about 45 year's, and they do work great. Different weight for different bikes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1 View Post
Q-Ball, You are right,
Honda has used these anti-vibration things for about 45 year's, and they do work great. Different weight for different bikes.
I know they have always used bar end weights but iv never seen this inside the handlebar itself,I had a Blackbird a while back and all that had was a captive nut thing inside the bar to bolt the bar end weight back on with.
I guess it's something similar to what I used to do with my Supermoto race bikes,I used to fill my Renthal bars with silca sand to reduce vibration,worked a treat aswell.

Maybe this is why the Honda heated grips are also not great,these inserts inside the bars may well be conducting the heat away from the riders hand!

Last edited by Q-Ball; 03-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
The other night I removed my hand guards to fit some Barkbusters,when I took the bolt out of the end of each handlebar this big long brass type rod came out with it,this bar is unlike anything iv ever seen before and iv had loads of bikes over the years.
Said bar is about 5-6" long and has little rubber grommets on each end and in the middle,I'm guessing these grommets stop the bar rattling around inside the handlebar.
What exactly does this bar do? Is it to aid the bar weights and reduce vibration or something magical that the Honda boffins have devised!

Completely pointless question I know but like I said iv never seen anything like it before.
Thant's the anti-vibration damper located inside the bars, with 18mm threaded end. The bar-end weights are separate parts on the bar end.

You can leave the damper in place if you have an 18mm - 8mm adapter which comes with hand guard kits specifically made for the AT - like SW Motech, Highway Dirt Bikes.

I can't find the link, but somewhere on this forum a dude posted pics and descriptions - think he was installing HDB guards.
Q-Ball likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM

When I placed the Hepco & Becker hand guards I was quite disappointed with the heavier steering caused by the extra weight.
Removing these rods in the bars compensated nicely and gave the steering its lightness back when driving slowly.
Q-Ball likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page