Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

New Rack with removable hand rails!

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gman 
#1 ·
Just finished designing and mounting a new rack! I can finally remove those hand rails to run soft luggage!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
quickly describe why handrails limited your soft bags?

I've seen a couple cases, where like the Big Loop bag would really rub the **** out of those handles.

And the bag would get poked by the spurs on the stock passenger pegs.

What does your custom tailpiece hope to do better?

(I'm being serious here, because very interested)

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
I've seen a couple cases, where like the Big Loop bag would really rub the **** out of those handles.

And the bag would get poked by the spurs on the stock passenger pegs.

What does your custom tailpiece hope to do better?

(I'm being serious here, because very interested)

Thanks!
I run Mosko Moto R80's. With the OEM rack and hand rails, the hand rails extended too far outward and prevented the R80's from fitting properly - ie following the contour of the seat, folding at the edge of the seat and fitting snugly to the side. With no hand rails, the R80's fit snugly as intended. I also have my passenger pegs and brackets removed.

#6 ·
Nice work man!

Yeah I was seeing a couple troubling videos of the 'throw over' saddlebag styles.

something definitely wasn't adding up, and that big grab handle set was definitely the problem.

let me ask:

I've seen guys complain about that tailpiece before, and also claim: 'it's part of the back end, so unfortunately, you'll never be able to take it off'

obviously you have done this.

did you have to let parts of the original structure remain, and have to cut large sections of it off, and use it to anchor your new plate?

#7 ·
No, we built a complete new rack assembly that starts just at the back of the rider seat. It completely replaces the OEM rack assembly - bolts to the subframe utilizing the same bolt points of the OEM rack. We have a detailed description and discussion on another forum if you're interested.

#8 ·
Nice work, are you putting these up for sale. My handles are already showing lots of wear from my soft panniers rubbing them - another problem to solve.

#9 ·
I saw this over on advrider.com. I just went over there and can't find the link. It must in the "Land of the Rising Sun..." section. The thread even includes videos how to mount the unit. Very well thought out and executed unit. There is even a picture/image of it in black with the "production" removable grab-rails. I'm really impressed with it!

Last I saw, they were trying to get "X" number of pre-orders and it appeared they were very close. They may have hit that number now. I believe the price was just under 400 USD... But before you balk, you really need to see the thread and just how complete and solid the unit is... I apologize to the OP if I mis-stated anything and please correct me if I'm wrong....

I'm considering the unit as I'm a user of soft panniers and have a set of Wolfman panniers that may work fine with standard pannier racks. I've yet to put pannier racks on the bike so not sure if I need to go this route. But if I do, I will order this item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.