Avon Trekrider AV84/85 Tires - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Avon Trekrider AV84/85 Tires

I haven't been able to find many reports about the new Avon Trekrider AV 84/85 tires. Avon claims they are a 50/50 adventure tire, and frankly, I'd be happy with a 70/30 tire.

Anyone have any experience with these new tires? Look like they would be a balanced compromise for a tire between something like the Shinko 804/805 and a more 90/10 tire like the OEM or Continental Trail Attack 2s.

I bought a set. So I'll test them out...

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/adv...port/trekrider
james.mc and Denburger like this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 PM

I look forward to seeing how they work for you.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 AM

Garage
Me too!!!

Adrian

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 AM

I curious as well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm curious and will remain so. Apparently, the one business in Canada that had a line on these tires no longer knows if they'll ship to Canada this summer. Hmmm. Bummer they look like a really great tire and I've tried the Heidenaus, Mefo Explorer (basically the same), so the only other 50/50 or 60/40 tire that I might try next is the Metzeler Karoo 3.

Their next closest tire is the Avon Trailrider which also looks promising and gets excellent reviews. I was just hoping for more of a compromise leaning towards gravel/fire road and offroad. Not a full dirt tire and not a 90/10 tires like the Trailrider.

I am going to put on the Shinko 804/805 tires this summer instead.

If anyone gets to try these out I'd be curious.

__
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I'm curious and will remain so. Apparently, the one business in Canada that had a line on these tires no longer knows if they'll ship to Canada this summer. Hmmm. Bummer they look like a really great tire and I've tried the Heidenaus, Mefo Explorer (basically the same), so the only other 50/50 or 60/40 tire that I might try next is the Metzeler Karoo 3.

Their next closest tire is the Avon Trailrider which also looks promising and gets excellent reviews. I was just hoping for more of a compromise leaning towards gravel/fire road and offroad. Not a full dirt tire and not a 90/10 tires like the Trailrider.

I am going to put on the Shinko 804/805 tires this summer instead.

If anyone gets to try these out I'd be curious.
Try the Mitas E07.... Should be in stock in Canada by the end of april. Try http://www.mx1canada.com/ I've had them on 2 bikes and they are great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	21290  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

That's certainly an option. I'll check in April and see if they have them. Seems almost all motorcycle outlets are out of these so maybe it's a shipment thing.

I've heard good things about the Mitas, although many have said much like the Heidenau that they are hard and slick in wet and cold conditions.

Revzilla in the US has the Trekriders but they won't ship to Canada for tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadarider View Post
Try the Mitas E07.... Should be in stock in Canada by the end of april. Try http://www.mx1canada.com/ I've had them on 2 bikes and they are great.

__
__

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
That's certainly an option. I'll check in April and see if they have them. Seems almost all motorcycle outlets are out of these so maybe it's a shipment thing.

I've heard good things about the Mitas, although many have said much like the Heidenau that they are hard and slick in wet and cold conditions.

Revzilla in the US has the Trekriders but they won't ship to Canada for tires.
I've had both the Heidenau and the Mitas and they are very different tires in the rain from my perspective. The Heidenau with the solid center back are super slick in the rain. I haven't experienced that with the Mitas. I got my Mitas from Revzilla because I need them for a trip and couldn't wait. They shipped them to a US address mailbox service close to the border and I went and picked them up.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 AM

I'm a fan of the Mitas E07s. While I've not used them on my AT, I did on my Super Tenere. I found they provided excellent traction in all but the worst off-road conditions (slick mud, that would be impassable on any tire). They last a long time.

A note those. My E07s center block did not have a wear bar on them. The center blocks went down to the carcass. I notice the newer ones have a center wear bar. I call them a wear bar but they seem to be pretty tall and in my mind there is still quite a bit of miles left on them. I would imagine once it wears to that point they might be slick like the heidenaus on wet pavement.

My only couple nits with them was the transition between upright and leaned over. Unlike more round profile tires it did feel there was a transition point from upright to leaned over. Not a big deal, not sudden, but something I noticed. Also the front end feel was a bit numb on-road. Not bad, but it does remind me of the AT on the stock Dunlop front tire.

I think if I was taking a long trip, I'd opt for the Mitas.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

It looks like Revzilla has both. So I bought a set of each and will drive down to Montana to pick them up. That's provided that there isn't a mishap with their website showing stock when there isn't any.

__
__

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page