Carbon Fiber Parts - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Carbon Fiber Parts

Hey all,
I just took delivery of a 2017 AT and excited to start riding again after a hiatus.

Anyway, I work in a Carbon fiber shop and we do a lot of custom work. Race cars to helicopters to ballistic plates etc. We have designed and made a carbon windscreen for the Ducati Diavel in the past as well.

So I'm wondering what sort of items would you guys like to see made out of carbon fiber? Since I have a test mule now, I can start developing things for the bike.

The first thing to come in mind is the skid plate.
Mudslingr, crstep, Savas and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 PM

Yes👍👍carbon fiber skid plate would be awesome BUT depends on the cost
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:48 AM

Hi Katsu,

I hope you enjoy your new AT. It's really good that you are thinking to develop carbon parts for the bike. I personally would prefer to go down the carbon route as it would save a lot of weight.

Yes I think a carbon bash plate would be a good starting point. Maybe make it in a way that protects the engine covers.
The B&B bash plate would be a good example for that. I really would be interested in one for the dct version as well.

Would some short of lightweight upper frame slider/ crash bar be possible as well? I am asking the question because even though I don't know if that's possible with carbon, all the existing solutions are quite heavy. I understand that many people need that for their own reasons..But I prefer to keep the weight down.

Looking forward to your response.

savas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:50 AM

Hi it's me again..The bumot defender is another bash plate that provides a lot of protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
james.mc likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Bash plate is certainly do able and pretty easy to engineer. I'll investigate the feasibility of upper crash bars. It can definitely be made strong enough!
Savas likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

As far as the cost for the carbon bash plate, it will probably be comparable to the others on the market, just light and carbon.
james.mc and Savas like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkatsu View Post
As far as the cost for the carbon bash plate, it will probably be comparable to the others on the market, just light and carbon.
Hi K, that sounds great, and I would buy one, but excuse my ignorance when it comes to brute strength 4mm Aluminium V ? mm Carbon Fiber.
I'm talking about casing-out a 250kg AT over medium size sharp rocks (say at 15k/h). The Alloy one will just get a big deep scratch.
I said, I admit my ignorance because so far all the Carbon Fiber stuff I've see are for Road Bikes, which are pretty thin and most of the times I've seen them crack just from general vibration. (also, I think I saw one (carbon bashplate) on a KTM dirt bike once, but I don't know the outcome?)
So can I ask, how thick and heavy? would a Carbon Fiber bashplate have to be, if it was the same shape and toughness as the B&B Safari?
Thanks.

The Burger.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 AM

I'm an Engineer in the Aerospace Industry, and while I'm not an ME or anyone that is involved in the design of the hardware (I'm a software eng.) I do work with alot of design engineers with whom over the years we've discussed the application of certain materials to our hobbies. My point is CF is not the end-all material. It has benefits for the right application. Everything has a trade-off; weight vs strength being one off the big ones and just the fact about choosing the right material for the job.

I've seen this for years in this and my other hobbies. People have access to "exotic" materials and make stuff because they can with no engineering considerations and it doesn't tend to work out well in the wrong cases/uses. IMO, unless the bashplate is more eye-candy than practical, its not going to have the durability to do a good job. I ride 50/50 which includes lots of rocky terrain and have had some really high-end heavy duty bashplates come back with some nice dents and gouges on them. I've had my bike slide over a rock steps on the bash plate that scratched it up good. I know CF wouldn't fair well in those conditions...

If you guys want to make a bashplate and need a "beta tester" for it; you can make one, send it to me, I can put it through some real-life scenarios (not abusive) and see how it fairs and send it back with a review. I just don't think its going to do as good a job as some of the metal ones out there.

I go back to my early days of mountain biking. A huge number of after-market parts were offered in Carbon Fiber. You don't see that anymore. They use a "carbon" composite material now, not "Carbon Fiber". One of my favorite examples early on in Mountain Biking was Carbon Fiber handler bars. Many companies simply made CF copies of existing bars. Failure rates were very high. Being CF, they didn't simply bend, they would shatter or just completely break off causing the rider to crash badly. They recognized this and added support bars which just put localized pressure points on the bars which made them heavier than their metal counter-parts. They tried making them thicker, to no avail. Do a search to and see just how many CF Mountain bike bars there are on the market... Basically none from well-known builders/manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things CF is good for, but IMO, a bashplate isn't one of them...
Chris Topher and kianster like this.

Last edited by AdvArt; 05-14-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:00 PM

You are wrong about carbon fiber mountain bike bars. They are the standard now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas View Post
Hi it's me again..The bumot defender is another bash plate that provides a lot of protection
I agree, the Bumot defender bash plate offers good lower all around engine protection and would be a decent start point for initial design. I'd prefer it more contoured and less angular of possible.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page