Farkle Priorities - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Farkle Priorities

Just curious what others think is the order of add-ons? Part of the equation is protecting your investment, part is added convenience, part is budget (i.e., how do you shoehorn what you want into your monetary supply?), and perhaps part is availability.

My order thus far is:

1) Centerstand
2) Accessory plug
3) Tail bag
4) Helmet lock
5) Windscreen
6) PC-8 fuse block
7) GPS Mount/wiring
8) Bike cover
9) Rotopax
10) Tank bag
11) Lower crash bars
12) Luggage rack + Pillion rack

This is very different than what I had intended. Some parts that I bought the day I purchased the bike have yet to arrive (Altrider, I am looking at you!). Some I just can't source (SW-Motech luggage rack, out of stock everywhere I shop). Ain't adding the luggage until I get the rack sorted.

Largely my list is pragmatic (I did a very long ride, and needed aux fuel capacity, for example). It is also constrained by my pocketbook and engineer's need to research everything.

Before my trip to Colorado this Summer I will get soft panniers, complete the crash bars (if possible), and get a bash plate. Maybe I will get aux lights. I want a better tail light. Right now, hand guards aren't on my radar.

Anyways, that's my priority. What is/was yours?

2016 Silver Manual ABS
Accessory outlet, center stand, Eastern Beaver PC-8
IBA: 39330

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 AM

The order that I added farkles does not necessarily reflect their priority. This is what I did:

1. Crash bars/skid plate (outback m)
2. Batzen windscreen adjuster
3. Centerstand
4. Givi pannier racks, kappa bags (for on road trips)
5. Luggage rack (altrider with monokey adapter)
6. Tank bag
7. Radiator guards
8. New footpegs
9. Handlebar riser
10. PC-8
11. Power outlet (2)
12 heated grips
13. Barkbusters
14. Auxiliary lights

I would have installed the electrical stuff WAY earlier in the process, but I was doing it all myself and was procrastinating on that project. I did items 10-14 just this past weekend. I still have an auxiliary tail light to install.
Dave77459 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM

I think another part of it is; What do you actually need or are likely to need? I say that as I've had other ADV bikes and I'd farkle the crap out of them and never need or use half of the the items I put on the bike. So with the AT I took a different approach; add what I need as I go.

Now it also depends on the type of riding you do. For me, I ride 50/50, so crash protection is a priority for me.

So my list looks like this;
  • Crashbars - Upper and Lower
    Garmin Bar mounting/wiring
    Altrider rear brake enlarger
    Center-stand
    Altrider luggage rack
    Bigger Bash plate

Suspension upgrade is next on the list so I can properly set sag, then I'll add some pannier racks and run soft-luggage...

My list would look different if I didn't do much off-road or anything that isn't too demanding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave77459 View Post
Just curious what others think is the order of add-ons? Part of the equation is protecting your investment, part is added convenience, part is budget (i.e., how do you shoehorn what you want into your monetary supply?), and perhaps part is availability.

My order thus far is:

1) Centerstand
2) Accessory plug
3) Tail bag
4) Helmet lock
5) Windscreen
6) PC-8 fuse block
7) GPS Mount/wiring
8) Bike cover
9) Rotopax
10) Tank bag
11) Lower crash bars
12) Luggage rack + Pillion rack

This is very different than what I had intended. Some parts that I bought the day I purchased the bike have yet to arrive (Altrider, I am looking at you!). Some I just can't source (SW-Motech luggage rack, out of stock everywhere I shop). Ain't adding the luggage until I get the rack sorted.

Largely my list is pragmatic (I did a very long ride, and needed aux fuel capacity, for example). It is also constrained by my pocketbook and engineer's need to research everything.

Before my trip to Colorado this Summer I will get soft panniers, complete the crash bars (if possible), and get a bash plate. Maybe I will get aux lights. I want a better tail light. Right now, hand guards aren't on my radar.

Anyways, that's my priority. What is/was yours?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM

+1 on the rear suspension. That's one big thing I still need to do. I'm too heavy to set ideal sag
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM

1. crash bars (I used SW Motech)
2. MRA Vario touring screen
3. Topbox/panniers (OEM)
4. Centrestand (OEM)

I will switch to more suitable rubber in the near future, likely Heidenau K60 Scouts....and will add some sort of throttle stop or cruise control when I can afford it.

Last edited by cehanska; 05-17-2017 at 09:21 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
  1. Bumot Defender Panniers Set (40L/36L)
  2. Bumot Top box mount & Defender Top Box (25L)
  3. RockFox Lower and Upper Engine Guards
  4. Camel-ADV Fuel tank (6L)
  5. Barkbusters with Storm Covers fitted with LED indicators + White Running Lights.
  6. Centre Stand.
  7. Headlight modulator

Later:
  8. Sump Guard Upgrade (Bash plate)
  9. Heated Grips (before the winter sets in)
  10. Extra driving lamps
  11. Auxiliary power socket
  12. 8 way Switched and non-switched fuse block under seat.

I'm sure other things will follow as my AT DCT will be a keeper.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-19-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM

I don't ride dirt and am new to ADV in general so my priorities were safety first and then convenience. I didn't do my farkling in any especially staged way, except for the obvious electrical dependencies as noted below.

Safety
• Eastern Beaver PC8 load center: Had to do this before I could wire in safety (lights, horn) and convenience (GPS cradle, heated grips) upgrades
• Altrider upper and lower crash bars (still waiting on auxiliary support brackets)
• Rigid DOT LEDs: Installed using OEM (Europe) fog light switch (wired to dashboard indicator) and waterproof Sumitomo connectors
• Denali Soundbomb Compact horn w/ AT bracket
• Backoff brake light modulator: Wired using Eastern Beaver plug-and-play wiring harness
• Admore SMT smart brake/turn signal
• Continental Trail Attack 2 tires: Better wet-weather traction on the road (hopefully)

Convenience
• OEM panniers
• Altrider top rack
• Black Dog Cycle Works pegs
• OEM center stand
• OEM power socket
• Koso Apollo heated grips
• BMW Motorrad Navigator 6 w/ cradle: Custom harness made from Sumitomo connector and BMW pigtail
• Batzen screen adjuster
• SWEGOTECH fork tunnel baffle
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Just got my Tri-Color CRF1000A (Manual) doing mostly city/sub-urban/occasional dirt road.
My additions in no particular order or rush...

Installed...
Base extension (big footprint for side stand)
Bark Busters + Storm
BMW Grips (better for me-used to it)
Hepco & Becker Top Rack & Box

Waiting for...
Main stand (yeah, didn't come standard :/)
Tutoro Chain Oiler
Seat Concepts (2-pc seat for AT)
Headlight guard (acrylic cover)
Batzen (screen adjusters)
Forkshield (wind buffer)
Denali Soundbomb (to assist hearing-impaired drivers)

Considering...
AltRider Crash Bars/ Bash Plate/ Skid Plate > BUT it seems like their delivery is late or delayed (from various comments and ppl who've ordered?) so I'll wait and see what's going on with them.
Ram Mounts (cams/ phone)
Comms systems (probably Sena)
Mark3 Pivot Pegs w Toppers/ will change pillion Foot pegs also (not sure which ones yet)
Waiting to see how the Seat Concepts works out before deciding on Handlebar Risers (and other adjustments)

Probably will have more as time goes by... ^^
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 PM

I haven't had my bike but a couple of weeks and all I might need so far is foot pegs and center stand.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
I haven't had my bike but a couple of weeks and all I might need so far is foot pegs and center stand.
Which is fine if you don't plan to get too adventurous with the bike and might be what you have in mind. There is nothing wrong with that. However, the AT is pretty tall and reasonably heavy. If it falls over, for any reason, like in a car park, at traffic lights, or in a slow speed wet road slide, a pre installed set of crash bars might prove a worthwhile investment at a minimum. Just a thought.
cehanska likes this.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page