Stock 12V Socket Stopped Working - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By motofabio

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stock 12V Socket Stopped Working

Hello guys and gals. Last night my 12V socket (dealer installed) made a buzz and stopped working. My first thought was to replace the blown fuse, but I'm not seeing a fuse for it. My second thought was that the fuse was in-line, but upon looking at the harness, there isn't an in-line either (photo attached for reference). Everything else seems to be working, although I forgot to check the heated grips. Any ideas where I should look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08U70MJPG50.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	25729  

-motofabio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
If memory serves, the plastic connector holds a blade fuse.
Remember that fuses normally blow for a reason to protect the system, so try to troubleshoot or have the dealer do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4328.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	25745  

Live to ride
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OH WOW I didn't even see that. It's a mini fuse then. That should be an easy fix, but dang, all the wires are tucked in behind the plastics. That's a bummer. Fuses need to be readily available to replace. OK thanks!
Flyer likes this.

-motofabio

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sooo... I went to pull the upper fairing off and after removing the top six bolts, there were clearly some hidden ones holding it all together. Short on time I screwed it back together and went on my way. Today I thought I'd try to get to the harness through a small gap in the plastic, underneath. To make more room I was going to pull the headlight bulb cover off. NO CAN DO. My two previous bikes just had a rubber tab to pull and you have easy access to the bulbs. This looks like it has it, but nothing moves. What gives?! I can't take this bike to the dealership for 3 hours of work to change a fuse or replace a headlight bulb. COME ON, HONDA!

-motofabio
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Headlights are led. Sooo there's no changing them
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:17 AM
pjm

When I raised this as a potential problem with my dealer I was told not to worry as it is a warranty issue. I have watched a video of fitting the socket on YouTube I think the guy is Harland or something like that. In reality it would appear that if you know whatvyouvare doing it should only take about 20 minutes or so to strip off the plastics replace the fuse and about another 20 minutes, at most, to put it all back together. At what point did the buzz occur? Did you just plug something in or switch something on etc? A random buzz and failure is a worry if that was the case.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM

I routed my inline fuse holder beside the plug so it sticks out and I dont need to remove any plastics to replace it. It's a cheapo custom job usb charger though, I dont know how routable the factory fuse holder is. Might be worth looking into when you do finally tackle it, so you only have to take it apart once.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkatsu View Post
Headlights are led. Sooo there's no changing them
Yeah, I did get that rubber ring off. I just didn't want to pull too hard for fear of ripping it. It didn't help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
At what point did the buzz occur?
I was fiddling around and turned the key off and on a few times while something was plugged in, so I'll take part of the blame. That aside, the bad design of making the fuse inaccessible, is not on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwray View Post
I routed my inline fuse holder beside the plug so it sticks out and I dont need to remove any plastics to replace it. It's a cheapo custom job usb charger though, I dont know how routable the factory fuse holder is. Might be worth looking into when you do finally tackle it, so you only have to take it apart once.
That would have been a better option, there's a smidgen of room behind the plug where they could have made it accessible. I'm going to install a panel mounted fuse holder -probably into an unused nearby button space- and route a line back to the fuse. I prefer the blade, but will install the round glass one if the blade doesn't fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	313RMHQchKL.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	26545   Click image for larger version

Name:	1487.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	26553  

-motofabio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page