Africa Twin or Vstrom 1000 ? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Africa Twin or Vstrom 1000 ?

So after 9 years with a BMW 1200RT (couple second bikes in this time span as well), I got bored and need a change. I do not go on multi day trips any more, just a day or half day joy rides, and I am 70 as well..
I had the opportunity to test ride Africa Twin, great handling, great suspension, great engine. Not so great wind protection and overall ride comfort. I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between. However, here in New Brunswick the secondary and tertiary country roads are in terrible shape, lots of badly filled potholes and bumps of various nature. I wonder how the new 2018 Vstrom 1000 with fully adjustable front would handle that. Its 16/16 cm front/rear travel is pretty short of 23/22 cm travel on Africa Twin, but still...?
It seems to me that the AT with its off-road character might be an overkill for my needs and VStrom might give me more ride comfort. Any thoughts/comments on that?

2009 BMW R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Hi.
Had a Vstrom 1000 for 10 years.
Its a great 1000 km 2 up interstate blaster but compared to the AT, no comparison.
The Vstrom is a road bike that you can ride on some dirt so get that it you ride on the road.

The AT is a dirt bike you can ride on the road.
The Vstrom would have nope hope in doing what I am doing with the AT now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sand2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	26417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_140539.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	26425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_150845.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	26433  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:21 AM

IMO, based on your statements, I think you'll do better with the V-Strom. I love my AT, but I ride 50% of the time off-road on technical stuff. I have to agree with reviewers when it comes to the on-road ability/capabilities of the AT. I have a roadracing background and find the on-road manners of the AT to be "okay". When the AT gets pushed hard on-road, front-end feel gets vague compared to the Super Tenere and XCx I previously owned.

On occasion, I ride with a guy with an older V-Strom (I'm not sure of the size as I'm not real familiar with the V-Strom line) and when we do forest service roads, fire roads, and dirt roads, it does just fine. These aren't necessarily smooth or maintained either.

I think you'll be happier with a bike thats more street oriented...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumirB46 View Post
So after 9 years with a BMW 1200RT (couple second bikes in this time span as well), I got bored and need a change. I do not go on multi day trips any more, just a day or half day joy rides, and I am 70 as well..
I had the opportunity to test ride Africa Twin, great handling, great suspension, great engine. Not so great wind protection and overall ride comfort. I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between. However, here in New Brunswick the secondary and tertiary country roads are in terrible shape, lots of badly filled potholes and bumps of various nature. I wonder how the new 2018 Vstrom 1000 with fully adjustable front would handle that. Its 16/16 cm front/rear travel is pretty short of 23/22 cm travel on Africa Twin, but still...?
It seems to me that the AT with its off-road character might be an overkill for my needs and VStrom might give me more ride comfort. Any thoughts/comments on that?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM

I've had Both 650 and 1000 Vstrom. Both are great bikes. The 650 is the better engine although it's down on power compared to the 1000 it's much smoother and free revving. Much better on fuel. If I was road riding only I would get another 650. It's so easy to use and stone cold reliable. 70mpg (uk) is possible. However the AT is miles better than the 1000 if you are going to do anything other than a gravel path. The AT looks better too. It's also narrower than the Vstrom and general easier to move around. AT is better at filtering due to the width. AT feels a lot lighter although I suspect the weight is similar.
cehanska likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:37 PM

What pannier rack and setup do you have there Rotorpix? I like the look.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 PM

Garage
Having had both over the years, as well as a couple of VSrom 650s, I feel the VStrom is a better road and touring bike than the AT. If you are doing 95% street, get the Suzuki.

Do yourself a favor and test ride the 650. I like them better than the 1000s. The frame and overall size is essentially the same, but the 650 is smoother and gets better mileage. Unless you are doing a lot of 2 up, the 650 really punches above its weight.

All that said, the component quality, feel and fit and finish of the AT is a notch higher than the Suzukis. The Suzukis are easier to work on, have a TON of aftermarket support and are as reliable as a hammer.

Rob
cehanska likes this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
IMO, based on your statements, I think you'll do better with the V-Strom. I love my AT, but I ride 50% of the time off-road on technical stuff. I have to agree with reviewers when it comes to the on-road ability/capabilities of the AT. I have a roadracing background and find the on-road manners of the AT to be "okay". When the AT gets pushed hard on-road, front-end feel gets vague compared to the Super Tenere and XCx I previously owned.

On occasion, I ride with a guy with an older V-Strom (I'm not sure of the size as I'm not real familiar with the V-Strom line) and when we do forest service roads, fire roads, and dirt roads, it does just fine. These aren't necessarily smooth or maintained either.

I think you'll be happier with a bike thats more street oriented...

Well I think just the opposite from you, I'd argue that you would need a high level of road racing skills, to be annoyed by the front because being not skilled in racing, I can't feel this while riding harder than I was on a MT-09 and since 3 months none of my friends could stick to my back Wheel, only KTM sometimes burn me.
Then in reverse, the guy being 70 and saying the back roads in his country being that bad, i'd say it's saffer to bet on the AT than on the DL, making off roading that easier and maybe less risks of dropping the bike, which I would like at 70.

I totally loved the big motocross kind of feel on the road, better than knee dragging and thought I could develop my off-road skills with the AT, because that's where I have less background, so bought the AT and not the DL.

Also let me say I really dislike DCT and find it boring on road, but maybe the OP would be better with DCT off road !
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM

To the OP:

I had 2014 new gen VStrom 1000 and now ride the AT. If I rode 95% paved roads, I would not have switched to the AT. I am familiar with the bad roads in New Brunswick and the VStrom will be up to the task no problem. The VStrom suspension is surprisingly good. As well, I prefered the VStrom at highway speed with its 10 extra HP and its true overdrive 6th gear.
mcrag likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogAT View Post
To the OP:

I had 2014 new gen VStrom 1000 and now ride the AT. If I rode 95% paved roads, I would not have switched to the AT. I am familiar with the bad roads in New Brunswick and the VStrom will be up to the task no problem. The VStrom suspension is surprisingly good. As well, I prefered the VStrom at highway speed with its 10 extra HP and its true overdrive 6th gear.

Sorry check your facts, the Suzuki doesn't have 10 extra HP in the specs (101 vs 95) and akrapovic graphics show this, both are around 88-90 HP only the torque delivery is much different on both bikes, in fact they gain about the same HP between 4K-7K RPM.
I once rode an older 1000 v-strom in Arizona up to Sedona and on those highways it was phantastic, but anyway to me the AT works as well and from what i've seen the mileage is better, especially at highway speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRF 1000.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	26577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DL 1000.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	26585  

Last edited by Djairouks; 06-20-2017 at 02:11 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkp View Post
What pannier rack and setup do you have there Rotorpix? I like the look.
Toys2Go stainless steel racks with black power coating. (South Africa)
AndyStrapz side bags. AUS
Both you can get in Australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page