What do you like about the Africa Twin CRF1000L (Manual or DCT) and why did you choos - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question What do you like about the Africa Twin CRF1000L and why did you buy one?

I see quite a few posts on here discussing what people might not like about the Africa Twin CRF1000L (Manual or DCT) plus there are a number of posts about niggles, what may have broken or not quite met with peoples expectations. I guess that's mainly because reading "I rode my Africa Twin today and all was normal" doesn't make for much of discussion topic.

So! How about we get some positive points registered in the Forum. By all accounts its a great bike ('motorcycle' for those in North America) and it seems that Honda have done a great job of giving the other ADV bike manufacturers a good run for their money.

I wonder how many people considered another make before settling on the Africa Twin or why they settled on the Africa twin in the end?

Question: What do you like about the Africa Twin CRF1000L (Manual or DCT) and why did you choose to buy one?

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-19-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 AM

Agree, James...sometimes it's too easy to come up with niggles. Here was an earlier attempt to balance things out.....

Nice surprises about the AT

I looked at KTM, BMW and Ducati before settling on the AT. For me, it was a reasonable price and Honda reliability that clinched the deal.
james.mc likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:46 AM

I absolutely love the AT. I own the DCT model and it works fantastic. I use mine 50/50.

I've owned a Super Tenere and a Tiger XCX prior to the AT. I was trying to decide between the KTM 1190/1290/1090 and the AT.

I chose the AT because;
Its the most dirt oriented ADV bike which it proves itself every time I go off-road. It low center of gravity belies its true weight. The power delivery on the dirt is so smooth, you hardly feel the rear wheel braking lose unlike my XCx. The bike just wants to drive forward in the dirt. Power slides are so smooth, easy, and controllable.

The DCT is excellent off-road too. Clutch is one less thing to manage. Nice not having to worry about stalling the bike on steep, technically difficult ascents and descents. No fear of stalling the motor out. However it does require use of the rear brake than I have on my ST on descents...

Every time I go off-road I'm always amazed just how good this bike is...
james.mc and G20 like this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 AM

I'm very impressed with every aspect of this bike.

For starters fit and finish, quality for a first year bike is really high. You can tell engineering looked for cost savings but rugged build.

Handling it really is a good street bike - handles much better than I expected given its bias towards offroad suspension.

Sound *had a Varadero before it with a big twin growl, this sounds equally awesome.

Fuel Economy my bike isn't even fully broken in and i get 4-5.1 l/100 kilometres or over 55-65 mpg.

Being different there are lots of KLRs, BMW adventures, etc. This one is just a bit different from all of them

It's a Honda *it should ride, and ride, and ride and require routine maintenance and be a long-lasting bike.
james.mc likes this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't even have my new AT yet.... however did own an SD01 Varadero XL1000V from new for 10 years in The Algarve, Portugal and rode all over European mainland on it, plus the UK. We moved to Vancouver Island, Canada in Feb 2013. In 2014 I bought a used Triumph Tiger 1050 to fill in the time whilst all the hype was being released by Honda about the (then) upcoming Africa Twin.

I bided my time, test rode nothing, had fun with the Tiger (its a good bike for sure) and just knew, from all that I have read, that a CRF1000L DCT would be the next bike for me. I like the way Honda do things, In the last year I like 99% of what I read out the AT. Sold! to the man in black! So, new DCT in August and Tiger 1050 up for sale at the same time.

I've already ordered a full Bumot Pannier set, Bark-busters, RockFox crash bars (Upper and Lower) and a centre stand, so will have plenty of fun fitting that lot when I get my hands on the bike Which kind of makes me rather pleased that I am away at work at this stage of the spending spree!!

Let the fun begin!

regards
James Mc

Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Garage
Here is my list:

Reasonable weight, carried pretty low.
Motor has nice character. Decent exhaust note and intake honk.
Aerodynamics are pretty good for an ADV bike. Fitted an MRA Vario Touring screen and I am good to go.
Fit and finish are nice.
Manual trans has reasonably light and positive shift action. I have had some false neutrals between 4th and 5th, but seems to be waining.
Good ergonomics for me, 5'6" 30" inseam. Everything is tall, but most ADVs are taller than the AT.
Fully Adjustable, decent suspension.
Decent Brakes, nice feel, good power.
You can turn the TC off and the ABS off on the rear wheel on the fly.
Handles well on and off road.
Attractive bike.
You don't see one every day.

Not a fan of the tube tires/wheels. Going to convert them to tubeless.
Wish they had made it with a 6.5 gal fuel capacity, less than 5 gal is not enough.

As I told my wife yesterday after coming back from a test ride (just installed a Booster Plug), it is a Lovely bike!

Rob
james.mc likes this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:43 PM

James: I was interested to read your order list of farkles for your yet-to-be delivered AT. How did you decide on Bumot panniers? This is a brand i wasn't familiar with. Did you choose hard or soft? Also, what is the selling feature of the skid plate you ordered? Cheers, Pete
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM

#1 selling point for me is It's a big dirt bike. #2 it was priced like a dirt bike. My plan for this bike was mainly the ability to do long single day rides off-road unassisted (no back up vehicle) I have a 450 for shorter part day and more serious off-road rides. the AT does everything well I have the manual abs model. I currently am using the bike a lot to commute because I am a vehicle down at the moment and it is surprisingly good at that. Main + is off-road ability in my mind an adventure bike has to be off-road worthy or it's just a tourer. I'm also a Honda fan.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 PM

Easily, where can take me. It has opened up a whole new aspect of riding. I can go long distances on road and explore off road at my destination. Also its dependability. I looked at other bikes but service and availability of parts was an issue. There is no ultimate machine but I plan to use this bike for what it was designed for an "adventure" bike.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebcca View Post
James: I was interested to read your order list of farkles for your yet-to-be delivered AT. How did you decide on Bumot panniers? This is a brand i wasn't familiar with. Did you choose hard or soft? Also, what is the selling feature of the skid plate you ordered? Cheers, Pete
Hi Pete,

A bit off topic for this thread so I have responded by creating a new thread at:

Why did I choose BUMOT Aluminium Panniers?

I haven't ordered a Skid plate by the way.

regards
James Mc

Last edited by james.mc; 06-19-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page