Any chance of breaking the bead on an AT rear tire without a bead breaker tool? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Any chance of breaking the bead on an AT rear tire without a bead breaker tool?

I'm trying to prepare my tool setup for an upcoming trip and wondering if there is any way to break the bead on that mongo rear wheel without a substantial bead breaker tool.

Has anyone used the BeadBuster XB-450? https://beadbuster.com/product/beadbuster-xb-450/

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:29 PM

I did it with the motion pro bead breaker spoons. They are called Beadpro's and are about 10" long. The spoons on them are great too!. So they are part of my carry kit with a couple of spoons with a 27mm end and a 22mm end. They are very lightweight also.

One thing about tubeless wheels generally is they do not have a bead ridge in the rim and are much easier to take off than a tubeless.
michaelnel likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks! I have motion pro spoons, but not the Beadpros. I'll check them out.
Flyer likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM

+1 For the Motion Pro bead breakers. I was out with a buddy on an AT who got a nail in the tire. The Motion Pro's made bead breaking the rear a snap - literally took 1 press and 5 seconds, and this was the first time I had used the tool. Definitely'y recommend them.
Matt Molnar likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I'll be grabbing a set of these, for sure. Glad I don't need a 3lb. breaker tool.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM

The side-stand method has always worked for me and it doesn't require carrying any more tools. It is easiest to use your riding buddy's bike to do it but if you are alone and have a center stand, just carefully lean it onto the tire to break bead.
Flyer likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
Me too for the MP BeadBuster tire irons. I have the aluminum ones and have used them several times on front and rear AT tires. Work great, don't take up much space.

---
Angels Camp, CA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate all the comments, guys! I'll be picking up a set of the Beadpros.

The sidestand technique is good to know, though it adds a bit more drama to what can be an already difficult task, potentially on the side of the highway, uneven ground, etc.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 PM

Garage
You already said you're gettin' 'em, but I'm gonna +1 the Motion Pro set anyway. I scoured the internet looking for the easiest and most lightweight and compact bead breaker and those are it. The tools are a touch short to use the spoons, but still worth it. I'd like to try using them on a sunny day when my tire has had some sun-time to soften up. And I'd like to see/feel the longer MP tools for weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaelnel likes this.

-motofabio
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:05 AM

Garage
To answer your original question, breaking it without a tool, I stood on my front (I'm 180 lbs) and bounced on it. It let go. My BMW friends couldn't believe it. One break on the rear with the tool and standing on it popped the rest off, which they also couldn't believe. Apparently the bead on their wheels is more prominent and doesn't let go as easily. If you weigh less than I do, I'd say the breaker tool is a must unless you want to start pulling MacGyver tricks on the trail. I'm not a fan of that; having the right tool for the job is *always* the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaelnel likes this.

-motofabio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page