Heated grips by Honda - Page 29 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 85Likes

post #281 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbarnett View Post
The OEM grips off the VFR were fitted to the AT. However, the AT does not generate enough power to get them hot enough for cold climates. This was as told to me by a Honda dealer.
That sounds a bit odd considering the AT has a 500 watt power output.

2016 Tricolor DCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Decided to give the Honda grip heaters a pass after reading lukewarm reviews of the latest incarnation. Kijima sells a set similar to the Honda grips with a lefthand illuminated button control but I ended up buying their $50 heated grips with an illuminated dial control so I don't have to mess around resetting the heat after each restart during trips. These are nice and warm with a max temp of 158F/70C.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

abj and DervMan like this.

2016 Tricolor DCT
post #283 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakespaw View Post
JohnG,
Please let us all know how Apollo install & operation goes.. Thx
Jakespaw:
The package arrived yesterday, 5 days ahead of schedule! I am waiting for another GPS wiring loom to arrive, then I can remove all the plastics and do whatever needs to be in one go. When all the wiring is done I will be fitting the Rockfox upper and lower bar.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold

post #284 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM

There is a controller in the grip assembly you will get from Honda and that controller is very vulnerable to water getting in. Have your dealer put a dab of silicone on the controller where the wires go in and save yourself a headache later on. (I speak from expensive experience.)
post #285 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:24 AM

Heater Controller Unit

Has anyone had any trouble with the heater controller unit (under the rear left plastic) going bad. I've fried two????

There doesn't appear to be a short anywhere. I installed the OEM grips myself, but everything was plug and play, so i'm not sure what could be going wrong.

Both times it appears to happen when I start the bike. I'm wondering if i'm getting some weird power surge.

Thoughts?
post #286 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshep1 View Post
Has anyone had any trouble with the heater controller unit (under the rear left plastic) going bad. I've fried two????

There doesn't appear to be a short anywhere. I installed the OEM grips myself, but everything was plug and play, so i'm not sure what could be going wrong.

Both times it appears to happen when I start the bike. I'm wondering if i'm getting some weird power surge.

Thoughts?
So far mine have been working just fine but I've only used them a couple times since a bit over a week ago.

I put up a description of the install on this thread, one page back. I have the newest kit with the wire filter and "white" wire isolation part of the newst instillation instructions.

I will say, if it's only that control unit under the left back side panel, you're getting off easy. That's an easier part to get to.

Don't threaten me with a good time!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #287 of 343 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:28 PM

True true. I'm not sure how many more units I can get from honda. They don't sell the part seperate right now. So to get the unit, they had to order the whole kit and swap out the unit.

I'll run some more eletrical tests on it this week and figure out if there is some sort of spike or short that I am missing.

I did install the one with the noise filter over the white wire....I'm worry, as careful as I was, that maybe i yanked on a wire too hard while installing them. Everything was soo freaking tight.

Ill let you know what I find incase anyone else has a similar issue.
post #288 of 343 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:11 AM

Gents, good news!. The fix to cure the pathetic heat output is out. My bike is going in on the 30th to have it done. I will report back with news, only had to wait 8 months.....
post #289 of 343 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:48 AM

I'm curious what solution they propose.
On mine, by test case, they put VFR800 heated grips. Temperature went from 22C to 34 C. It's better but still not good enough .
post #290 of 343 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:42 AM

Garage
Could someone having the Honda heated grips, measure the voltage of the white wire at the heater control unit connector behind the left back side cover, when the heated grips are at full power.

That white wire goes to heated grips on -symbol at the meter. I'd like to get the symbol working with my
heated grips and I'm planning to apply 12 V to that white wire allways when the heated grips are on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page