Heated grips by Honda - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 93Likes

post #21 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:43 AM

I think I may go the route of getting heated gloves instead.

Heated gloves advantages - cheaper, work better as they hear the outside of your hand.

Heated grips advantages - no having to plug cables into your heated jacket liner each time, that can be fiddly. They help you do that last ten miles where the temperature has suddenly dropped in your summer gloves, without having to pull over and change gloves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:54 PM

I have memories of walking away from the bike with the wired intercom still attached - think I'd be the same with heated gloves! Bit uncool if someone sees it.

Depends how cold you go and for how long really - for me as a fair weather biker the grips are to make sure I can still use the front brake on an Alpine descent in the evening rain or fog. Once you've done that with no heat in summer gloves you don't want to do it again.
post #23 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:03 PM

lol... yep, as I say, you sacrifice some of the convenience of heated grips if you go the heated gloves route. Where heated grips really shine is helping you get home / to the hotel when it gets unexpectedly cold. You have to remember to pack heated gloves, but you don't have to remember to pack heated grips.

Even if you have packed heated gloves, you then have to pull over and wire them all up before continuing, so it's far less convenient.

But I'm going to get a heated jacket liner anyway, and the controllers for these things have improved vastly since the last time I wore heated gear (far more wireless stuff now, so not as many cables hanging off you)... so I think I may give it a go anyway.

post #24 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbiker View Post
I think I can probably live without the icon on the screen in return for the cost saving by getting Oxfords plus, you know, the fact that they get hot
... yeah, the Honda grips are expensive and satisfaction with them has always been hit and miss, on all their bikes based on everything I've read over the years.

So I'm with you - I've ordered some Oxford Hotgrips. They're cheap as chips, hot as coals, and I'm getting my dealer to fit them free, as part of the original deal.
post #25 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Spoke to my dealer today and he said that Honda have said there is a problem with the heated grips and are looking into it. It's a bit hit and miss....some that are fitted are getting hot and some just stay Luke warm he advised me not to get them fitted yet and wait to see the outcome !!!!!
zippysworld likes this.
post #26 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:10 PM

My bike's arrived, and the heated grips were on back order until April-ish, so I've cancelled the grips order and got them to fit some Oxford Adventure grips, which at 65 are 200 cheaper than the Honda ones. They may not have the tidiness of the integration of the Honda ones, but at least I know they'll keep my hands toasty on cold days.
The dealer did tell me that Honda know there's a problem with the factory ones (i.e., they'd asked the dealer if anyone had mentioned it on demo rides, especially as these have been during January), but whether they'll sort it out is yet to be seen
Like I mentioned earlier, I used a laser Thermo on the Honda grips once warmed up on their hottest setting and they weren't even 30deg, when the factory ones on my triumph are circa 50deg
Surely, if you're going to have 5 settings on the factory grips, you want the hottest one to be nice and toasty
Diamondgeezer and Sloth like this.
post #27 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:51 PM

It must be an issue with the design of the grips. I had the Honda OEM grips on my VFR and they were plenty warm and they were more comfortable in the hand compared to the Oxfords. I've had Oxfords on two bikes and three sets of them - two of the three have failed over time (different version numbers of the grips, too). So they are cheap but you may end up paying just as much for them in the long run.
Glad to see Honda is looking into it before they ship out more.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #28 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 PM

My dealer here in Japan said the heated grips are on back order till May, so hopefully that means Honda is sorting out the problem.
post #29 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ad Venture View Post
My dealer here in Japan said the heated grips are on back order till May, so hopefully that means Honda is sorting out the problem.

Great just in time for the warmer weather.
post #30 of 383 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Like Erey, Bart and Romulus, my OEM heated grips are fine. Also, I confirm that heat settings are displayed. however, having never had heated grips before, I can only offer the opinion that they are effective3 for me, but i have no comparison with grips on other bikes.
superfunkomatic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page