Heated grips by Honda - Page 34 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 85Likes

post #331 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Hi Bartho

I think the noise filter was to cure a problem where the grips threw up an error code and stopped working completely rather than just curing the poor heat output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Hi
The first time I took the AT and put on the heated grips I had that error code on the dash. I think it was code "E2". When I had cut the contact the code was gone.
Never had that error any more??
post #333 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
So do you have a problem or not? do your Honda heated grips work or not? or do they just not work "well". or are you waiting delivery of an AT and are concerned they might not work after reading the forums. or do you believe Honda will have them fixed by next winter and your bike is parked now? Just asking to better understand your comment.

Oxford grips work well as heaters but really suck as useful grips IMHO - they are large diameter and very hard - compressed the medial nerve in my left hand which resulted in a numb index finger for 3-months of recovery.
That's rather unfortunate with your Oxford grips. I reckon mine are an extra 2mm overall diameter over stock and not very fat. Stock units are quite thin so I found them as hard as the Oxford grips. Are you sure it was the Oxford grips or just 2 days heavy off-roading!

post #334 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
That's rather unfortunate with your Oxford grips. I reckon mine are an extra 2mm overall diameter over stock and not very fat. Stock units are quite thin so I found them as hard as the Oxford grips. Are you sure it was the Oxford grips or just 2 days heavy off-roading!
I've gone the opposite way and use grip-puppies over the top of the Honda heated grips. Takes a bit of getting used to but now I would find it odd to ride with thin grips. I think it gives a bit more delicate control of the throttle too.
And the heat still comes through the grip-puppies although it takes a bit longer to get there (I have the NC750X by the way)
Mike
post #335 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:08 PM

I installed the Oxford Adventure grips a couple of weeks ago on my Red/Manual AT, which come with a control "pad" with buttons for choosing your heat setting. (30,40,50,75,100%) which I mounted on my left handle bar and and can see which setting it is operating at and can reach the buttons of course, very readily. They heat fabulously, no complaints!!

Now joining the search for crash bars
post #336 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Did a couple of hours today at 6 to 7 deg C, with grips set at max (5) hands were fine in winter gloves. That's not to say they couldn't have been warmer but were very comfortable.
I still think that at the ridiculous price the integrgrated grips are they should be totally fabulous, rather than just adequate.
I've told my dealer, he wasn't surprised, along with the corroded spokes and failed "set" button. So when Honda get their act together and sort the issues I'm going to be bike less for a while.
Dissapointing that Honda have not tested properly some of the AT stuff, did they think owners wouldn't notice ?
Elvisto likes this.
post #337 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
I had the Oxford Sport grips on my DR650. They were 2-4mm larger in diameter but solid and hard where the DR grips were cushioned with smaller root diameter.

The only real difference between Oxford Adventure, touring and sport grips is the length - the slight differences in the moulded grip pattern are insignificant. For the DR the adventure grips were too long and I would have cut into the element to get them to fit where with the sports grips I could trim them to fit.

I think it was more sustained use I finally succumbed to - I'd been riding with the Oxfords for a couple of months with quite a bit of off road / standing riding. It was on the 2-day course, first half of the first day when my finger went numb. 3-months later 95% recovered.
eltel62 likes this.
post #338 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 AM

Are the VFR800 grips plug and play on the AT? And if so, do they integrate with the dash?
post #339 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 AM

The 2014 model VFR800 grips are factory fitted and as spare parts are 167 ($200) each, the grip controller is another 52 ($63) unlikely to be just a plug in.
post #340 of 344 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 AM

Ouch, that's steep!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page