Standard Screen or Touring Screen? - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 17Likes

post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 07:44 PM

I always thought buffeting referred to the weird turbulence thing caused by the negative pressure behind the screen?

Either way, whatever it's called, my head being up in clean air is no problem to me. In fact helmet venting works better that way. But the weird negative pressure thing is horrible and gives me a headache. Feels like someone keeps slapping you in the back of the head. So for that reason, even though I'm 6'3" I will stick with the standard screen when I get my AT probably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:15 PM

I'm trying the new low screen by ermax next week and i'll keep you posted
superfunkomatic and JohnG like this.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeff50 View Post
Pictures of the adjustable wind spoiler on top of the std screen. Spoiler from my previous NC700X. Std screen disappointing with much buffeting; my length is 1.90m / 6' 3". Huge improvement with the spoiler, nu buffeting anymore. Still wearing ear plugs because of the overall wind noise and relative loud exhaust noise.
where did you originally get the spoiler from , I had a screen with one fitted on my varadero and it was brilliant but I had to buy the whole screen

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 AM

I definitely go for the new sports (low) screen by Ermax
better for off-road and for breathing the fresh air of the French countryside :-)
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:09 AM

Spoiler, make Puig Spain. Ordered in Germany. New web site now, http://www.motea.com/nl/. I think spoilers are also made by MRA. Different widths available.
Mad Frosty likes this.

rgds, Fred
(CRF1000LAD, CRF Rally Red, Zumo390)
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM

Hello,

I have standard wind screen and i am 188 cm tall. Standard not good for me. Quite lot of buffering.

What i did, was to order Screen deflector VarioERGO+.

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/scr...varioergo.html

No anymore buffering. I am satisfied with this solution.
Steve likes this.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:19 PM

Hello,

I'm 180cm/5,91ft tall.
I use the lower seat height.

With the touring screen there is a sweet spot at 70-90 km/h speed. Just silent.
But over 100kh/h the buffeting starts. Very distracting as if someone is slapping on your helmet. I hear this low frequency slapping inside my head even if I use earplugs.

I will try higher seat position. If it doesn't help, I wiil switch back to standard screen. It doesn't have a sweet spot at 70-90km/h, but is doesn't have buffeting as well.
I think std screen is comfortable at a wider speed range.

Rgds,
Fatih
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbiker View Post
I always thought buffeting referred to the weird turbulence thing caused by the negative pressure behind the screen?

Either way, whatever it's called, my head being up in clean air is no problem to me. In fact helmet venting works better that way. But the weird negative pressure thing is horrible and gives me a headache. Feels like someone keeps slapping you in the back of the head. So for that reason, even though I'm 6'3" I will stick with the standard screen when I get my AT probably.
I'm with you on this. I'm 6'2 and the standard screen works well for me. No buffeting up to 80mph. I can feel the wind increase from 50 up to 80, small increase in noise, but still smooth air.

PS. Once I finish the break in I'll test it a little faster. :-)

Last edited by Ti04; 06-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 AM

Me too, I bought the higher screen thinking it would best suit my needs, But I'm back with the standard screen now, much less buffeting ,
Think I'll put the tall screen on just for the winter riding , rain , wind, cold etc,

Adventure before Dementia,
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 AM

I went through all this on my last bike and ended up buying a secondhand MRA with spoiler. I very rarely needed to close my visor after and the buffeting was gone. Funilly enough i found the spoiler worked best in the lowest position. However we must all realise we are all different sizes and shapes and what works for one person may not suit other users. For example i am finding the std screen as "ideal" for ME ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page