Standard Screen or Touring Screen? - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 17Likes

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 PM

Garage
Cool

I also installed the Batzen adaptor. Works great!

Solved all buffeting problems, and you keep the original shield.

100% recommended.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 AM

Garage
MRA Vario & RR rear rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
6ft with std screen. No buffeting and comfortable to ride but quite noisy around the helmet so I am catching something. Not enough wind on the visor to clear rain but you can't have it both ways!
The noise got too much for me in ther end, high speed runs gave me a headache, the turbulence was hitting me at nose level, so Batzen or MRA Vario? Both come with good recomendations, I went MRA in the end, just a roll of the dice! Still need to play with the six different positions on the screen to see which best suits me but I like the look, not too big and mad. 15 minute fit. Note, I kept the use of the four chrome Honda screen bolts, MRA do supply all six black screws if you want to keep it all black.

Went out for a motorway blast, I would say I got rid of 65-70% of the wind noise at high speed (70-80MPH), best result with the variable bit in its lowest position as it happens. I am satisfied with that for the price. It did make low speed riding pleasantly very quiet (as opposed to quiet), I wasnt expecting that. Mirror stems do just hit the screen on full lock which is a little oversight. I have not adjusted the bars and others have reported the same. Its not a big deal but I always expect more of ther Germans!

Not a fan of top boxes either so went for a RR rack for soft luggage. 5 minute fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	13690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	13698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	13706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	13714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	13722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	13730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide7.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	13738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide8.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	13746   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRA Africa Twin MRA.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	13754  
superfunkomatic likes this.

Last edited by eltel62; 01-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:31 AM

I've got the Batzen, original shield and MRA spoiler but the real fix for the annoying vibrations on the helmet was from this post. Makes a big difference.

Vibrations on your (dualsports) helmet? Here is the solution!

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650RRider View Post
I've got the Batzen, original shield and MRA spoiler but the real fix for the annoying vibrations on the helmet was from this post. Makes a big difference.

Vibrations on your (dualsports) helmet? Here is the solution!
My noise was from wind turbulence and I have not sufferred from the vibration that others mention. I don't wear a peaked helmet though. The turbulent air is about another 4" up after fitting the MRA Vario Touring screen so it has partially done its job for me. Not sure I can do any more, never going to get rid of it all.

I had seen this video/solution before, if I cover the gap it makes no difference to me? Maybe one variable (of many) is the preload settings people are using, I prefer my bike setup a little nose down.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM

I also have bar risers and that might be allowing the air stream a straight shot at the helmet. Anything in it's path (phone holder, tank bag, gps mount, etc.) that disrupts the airflow will lessen or remove the problem. I was very skeptical when I first saw the video but a quick ride and placing my hand in that area proved it was my problem.
eltel62 likes this.
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo View Post
Wondering if anyone has had experience riding an AT with both screens. I have heard that the standard screen is good with hardly any buffeting which would make you think the touring screen would be even better. However, I remember seeing a review from an English Journo who suggested he was getting buffeting from the touring screen and he did't like how the edge of the screen was in your line of sight. Didn't expect to hear of buffeting issues with a bigger screen??? Anyones experience in this area would be appreciated.

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!
I have both OEM screens. I'm 1m87 tall, and the standard screen is a bit low to me. It gives a constant windstream on my forehead, a bit like I expect from a racer. The touring screen is much more comfortable to me, although it is not the best in high speed driving. I experience the front of the bike becoming lighter and a bit blurred, let's say, at speeds above 150 km/h. Not a big problem, the bike is still stable at 190 km/h, but the feeling is less encouraging. At "normal" speed the comfort is high. The standard screen gives less comfort to me, but doesn't give the "fading" feeling at higher speed. That's why I have both.... :-)
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM

The bigger the screen, the more vacuum that follows along behind it. I have fitted a
MRA X-Creen Sport XCSA Universal Adjustable to a standard screen. They have a web site . Because the brackets allow the small screen to be stepped forward of the bike screen, it eliminates the vacuum problems. The disturbed air now travels about 100mm above my helmet. I am 6ft. The screen is positioned forward and above the existing screen, but because it is made of a high grade poly carbonate it is clearer than the bike screen and does not effect my vision. The only down side is that rain does not clear my visor at low speeds. Mine looks to be smaller than eltel63's screen and doesn't foul the wing mirrors.
superfunkomatic and eltel62 like this.

Last edited by Kiwi Rod; 01-09-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: adding extra info
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Rod View Post
The bigger the screen, the more vacuum that follows along behind it. I have fitted a
MRA X-Creen Sport XCSA Universal Adjustable to a standard screen. They have a web site . Because the brackets allow the small screen to be stepped forward of the bike screen, it eliminates the vacuum problems. The disturbed air now travels about 100mm above my helmet. I am 6ft. The screen is positioned forward and above the existing screen, but because it is made of a high grade poly carbonate it is clearer than the bike screen and does not effect my vision. The only down side is that rain does not clear my visor at low speeds. Mine looks to be smaller than eltel63's screen and doesn't foul the wing mirrors.
I had one of these lying around and decided to put it on the standard screen. I found it works very well and have used it for over 2000kms so far. If you do decide to bolt it on instead of using the clamps don't tighten them down to much, they will crack the screen around the holes.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:35 AM

On my last 3 bikes I went for an MRA, it has worked every time. I had too much wind on my head with the AT standard screen the Vario sorted that out. I also have cheap mirror extenders as I am a bit anal about seeing behind me so the lock is fine. I had a X-Creen perched on the little pixie hat cowl on my Street Triple and it worked wonders.

I am of the opinion now that if I buy a screen it has to have a spoiler it gives me so many more options to dial in the bike to fit me.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Am 174cm and have the taller screen..(my bike came with it fitted )..,have ridden with both , and have to say, riding in rain at 160km/h, the lower screen clears much better, and is thus safer in my opinion. I do find myself stretching to look over the extended screen.. As I feel the extended one has a "fold fish bowl" effect which distorts your view if you crouch down to look thru it

Just mt 2c worth..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page