Standard Screen or Touring Screen? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Standard Screen or Touring Screen?

Wondering if anyone has had experience riding an AT with both screens. I have heard that the standard screen is good with hardly any buffeting which would make you think the touring screen would be even better. However, I remember seeing a review from an English Journo who suggested he was getting buffeting from the touring screen and he did't like how the edge of the screen was in your line of sight. Didn't expect to hear of buffeting issues with a bigger screen??? Anyones experience in this area would be appreciated.

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 06:08 AM

I think you should give your height for any reasonable answer to your question. The journo in question was probably just tall enough so the touring screen reflected the wind directly in his face. In all likelihood he may not have complained if it was the standard screen and the wind hit him slightly below his face. Lots of influential factors.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 AM

I'm 5'11'', and on standard seat, i found the standard screen very good, hitting my helmet just above the visor. I then road the bike with a touring screen expecting it to be better. What I found was that it was that the wind no longer hit the top of my helmet, however there was increased turbulence. In balance I found the standard screen so quiet and smooth air, that I am staying with the standard, much to my own surprise (at least it saves me 100.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 AM

I'm 5.11 and found the standard screen pretty decent. I tried a demo bike with the taller screen too, and although the buffeting was reduced, it was a barely noticeable difference
The option for the taller screen is the same price as buying the taller screen later, so save your money initially, and see if you like it, the buy the taller one later if you don't
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm the same height as rjp and graeme so I'll stick with the original screen and order the touring later if it is an issue. Personally, I like the look of the original and being able to see over the screen while on trails would be an advantage. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 04:29 PM

I think a taller touring screen would be great. I suspect that it won't be long before third party touring screens start showing up on the market.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I think a taller touring screen would be great. I suspect that it won't be long before third party touring screens start showing up on the market.
I suspect you're right!

We will most likely offer two or three different heights for the AT once we get our bike in.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Cycle View Post
I suspect you're right!

We will most likely offer two or three different heights for the AT once we get our bike in.
Aha! Well Done! I have National Cycle windshields on several of my mounts. Great Products!
National Cycle likes this.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 09:10 AM

I am 5'9" and have ridden an AT with both screens.

Standard screen - perfect for me. No buffeting and good weather protection.
Touring screen - top of screen cut my line of sight. Good weather protection, but buffeting from the sides. Vibrated a fair bit too.

I think the touring screen was an after thought by Honda. It does not look as good as standard and probably did not spend much time in the wind tunnel.

Standard screen for me.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Windy,

That was great feedback. Not too many people can say they've ridden the bike with both screens so your insight supports my thoughts from what I've read so far. I totally agree, the the standard screen looks better.

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page