Side stand - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Side stand

Waiting for the 1st of April to get mine but wonder what others think of the side stand?

It seems very springy. My concern is when traveling on Brittany Ferries they use a ratchet strap over the seat and pull the bike down. Has any body taken theirs on a ferry yet where they use this method? Is the stand strong enough?

I didn't intend to fit a centre stand and the ferries prefer it on the side stand.

Thanks for any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:26 AM

Well I've used it on the side stand to launch myself on board and off every time , I tweaked my back so its much easier for me to get on and off that way,
I did worry at first it wouldn't be strong enough after seeing it flex, but its been ok over 850 miles of on and off, so I'm feeling more confident now and don't really think about it,
Dibbs, Mad Frosty and xsilvergs like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisto View Post
Well I've used it on the side stand to launch myself on board and off every time , I tweaked my back so its much easier for me to get on and off that way,
I did worry at first it wouldn't be strong enough after seeing it flex, but its been ok over 850 miles of on and off, so I'm feeling more confident now and don't really think about it,
I always stand on mine because I am short (162cm) , I am also fat but the stand seems well able to cope.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:27 AM

out of interest if you had to repair a flat by the roadside, how would you get the wheel off the bike without it falling over? (without a centre stand) ive ordered the centre stand really for this reason, plus the bike will sit in the garage for longish periods of time and I think the centre stand just allows the weight to stay off the tyres thus not creating flat spots etc (I'm so old and this probably doesn't happen with modern tyres anyway!) but humor me.....
Drago likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Centre stand obviously makes chain oiling and general maintenance significantly easier, so was a no brainer for me
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytco0 View Post
I always stand on mine because I am short (162cm) , I am also fat but the stand seems well able to cope.
Any chance you're getting one foot on the ground at 162cm tall?? And can you quantify "fat"? This isn't a fashion show, no judging here, we need these details. Haha!

Current:
'15 KTM Duke 390

Past:
'03 Kawi Z1000
'95 Honda VFR750S
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcruzr View Post
Any chance you're getting one foot on the ground at 162cm tall?? And can you quantify "fat"? This isn't a fashion show, no judging here, we need these details. Haha!
I also have the Honda low seat on the bike and with that I can get both feet on the ground but only on tip toes. I tend to slide slightly off the seat and put one foot down flat when i stop.

Fat is 100kg about 35kg more than I should be.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
out of interest if you had to repair a flat by the roadside, how would you get the wheel off the bike without it falling over? (without a centre stand) ive ordered the centre stand really for this reason
Puncture at the side of the road would be a pain, I'd squirt some foam in as I don't see myself fixing it with a patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
plus the bike will sit in the garage for longish periods of time and I think the centre stand just allows the weight to stay off the tyres
I use paddock stands front and rear if needs or I have a wheel free lift.

I may still order a stand but it's more weight, money and something to scrape on the ground (possibly). Thanks for your opinions it's much appreciated.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvergs View Post
something to scrape on the ground
Not much chance of that unless you've already fallen off!
Elvisto and Drago like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytco0 View Post
I also have the Honda low seat on the bike and with that I can get both feet on the ground but only on tip toes. I tend to slide slightly off the seat and put one foot down flat when i stop.

Fat is 100kg about 35kg more than I should be.
Thanks for the info! I still wonder if I'll be able to flat foot the bike. I'm only 67kg and 1.7m tall. I'm not sure I'll have enough weight to compress the suspension down enough. That and I have a short inseam. Can't wait to see one in person!

Current:
'15 KTM Duke 390

Past:
'03 Kawi Z1000
'95 Honda VFR750S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page