Removing the Rear Shock - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 AM

Sorry for delay in replying as i was working away. With my mates help we got the shock out without removing the knob. Athough it seemed impossible it does come out by lowering the unfastened shock downwards with a slight anti-clockwise twist (say about 30 degrees) so that the offending KNOB is actually the LAST part of the shock assembly to pass through. Before re-assembly we noticed that screwing the said knob in clockwise to the full pre-load position makes it protrude less from the body of the shock absorber and makes the re-install a little easier so i would recommend applying full preload BEFORE attempting removal to give a little more 'wiggling room'.

I was in the position of being able to adjust things like swinging arm height/position with my electric hoist but even so having an extra pair of hands to help was crucial (thanks JoeR1)

I so wish i had taken some pictures but as per usual my phone decided to self destruct the same day and now needs a trip to Samsung for repair/replacement.

I haven't done the settings yet but after buying Hyperpro 1" lowering springs for the shock and forks i can now just about FLAT FOOT on both sides and feel a lot more secure when coming to a halt. I can live with any loss of ground clearance as i am unlikely to do any extreme off-roading on such a big heavy machine. i always thought even a 450 to be too big when i did some trail riding in the past and settled on a little CRF230 (i have had 3 of them)

Summary:

yes it comes out downwards

yes it is fiddly

yes it is easier with a mates help

yes it was worth the effort

Ian UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM

Garage
Did you change the spring on the bench yourself or take it to a shop for that part?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:09 AM

compressed it easily using 2 x ratchet straps threaded behind the furthest possible coils with the ratchets flat on the outside, just kept tightening each strap a little in turn until the collars were free of the spring

Ian
eltel62 likes this.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM

If anyone has done the front springs i would really appreciate a simple step by step guide as the Hyperpro manual is anything but clear...
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Has anyone replaced the front springs with Hyperpro progressive? Would be very helpful if someone has and I can get a cheat sheet?
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apachesmith View Post
If anyone has done the front springs i would really appreciate a simple step by step guide as the Hyperpro manual is anything but clear...
I did it using the Service manual and Hyperpro instructions. The Service Manual had pretty detailed instructions. In the Service manual on 17-2, it shows several tools you need. I made the tools pretty cheaply and I had a Tusk fork oil level tool {https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/731/10975/Tusk-Fork-Oil-Level-Tool}. I made one but a {https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1056/26539/Tusk-Cartridge-Rod-Holding-Tool} is handy to have. I can't post links so these might not show up.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Garage
I agree with XR650RRider - an original Honda service manual would be extremely helpful. Especially to have the correct torque settings handy.

However, I did find the Hyperpro description

http://hyperpro.com/wp-content/uploa...Manual-ENG.pdf (page 7 onwards)

not so bad at all.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:46 AM

Garage
Hi!

One additional post regarding the rear shock (I've done a change to a Wilbers product 2 days ago for lowering the bike for -30 mm).

I've found a change of the rear shock much easier when uninstalling the rear wheel, remove the axle of the swing arm and bring the swing arm itself some 10 cm towards the rear (fixed with a spanner on the frame).

This are just a few bolts more but, give you much more space for handling.

Cheers, gerhard
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 AM

I'm in the middle of the rebuild now... one issue when it comes to refilling the oil with the hyperpro supplied oil the Hyperpro manual says 180mm from the top the Honda manual says 95mm from the top.... which measurement did you use?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
Hi!

When using the Hyperpro springs and oil I would use the value Hyperpro recommends.

Please check carefully HOW the measurement should be done!!!

WITH springs installed or WITHOUT!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page