Removing the Rear Shock - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM

The other question i have is with the progressive spring.

Hyperpro manual says to mount the progressive side up. The Honda manual saying to mount the progressive end down? Anyone that's done the swap have the definitive answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apachesmith View Post
The other question i have is with the progressive spring.

Hyperpro manual says to mount the progressive side up. The Honda manual saying to mount the progressive end down? Anyone that's done the swap have the definitive answer?
I think you answered it yourself, if one is up and the other is down, then it really doesn't matter. When I disassembled mine the tighter coils were up on factory springs, so I put replacements in same way. For fork oil measurement, it's prior to the springs being installed and I used the oil level tool with syringe. Makes it so much easier to get correct/equal level. I actually put mine at 160 mm from top. I weigh more than what they are recommending suspension settings for. It's heavier weight oil, so lower height setting.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 01-08-2017 at 01:16 PM.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:10 PM

180mm is on the spring.... seems very low?

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Garage
Once again I would recommend to follow the Hyperpro description and mount the springs in the direction explained by them.

(It's not visible by eye if the Honda springs have the same parameters as the Hyperpro springs).
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
180mm is on the spring.... seems very low?
No fork oil measurements are before spring is installed on both. The factory springs are progressive and the tight wound coils were up on mine upon disassembly. The manual states down and Hyperpro says up.

Their 180mm recommendation is allowing a little more air space (air is compressible), fork oil isn't. You'd prefer the valving did all the work but heavier weight oil is slower traveling thru shim stacks.

I made the tool that screws onto damper rod out of a 2' long 1/2" ODx3/8" ID tube, drilled 1/8" holes thru tube about 1/2" from end and welded a 10x1mm nut on same end. Allows you to stroke that rod up and down and the holes allow the oil to flow out of tube. It's necessary when trying to get spring compressed, so you can get holding tool on.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 01-08-2017 at 01:28 PM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Sorry just to confirm,

Did you measure 180 before or after the spring was inserted?

Thanks
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry just to confirm,

Did you measure 180 before or after the spring was inserted?

Thanks
I just checked the gauge and I set my fork oil level @ 170mm from top BEFORE dropping spring in.

I originally intended to go to 150mm from top but thought it would be easiest to add oil later than trying to remove it. I changed fork oil level several times on XR650R's and re-valved but I'm not planning on taking the Africa Twin thru knee-deep whoops in 4th wide open. I actually like the way it handles with 170mm but haven't really had it off-road but have had it on rutted, wash-boarded, sandy dirt roads and it handles all with ease and better than factory setup.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 01-08-2017 at 04:16 PM.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Ok that's interesting as the hyperpro manual says to measure the gap after putting the springs in.... which is what I've just done.... I'm going to give them a call in the morning as I've had enough of their less than helpful instructions..... Thanks for your help.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Ok that's interesting as the hyperpro manual says to measure the gap after putting the springs in.... which is what I've just done.... I'm going to give them a call in the morning as I've had enough of their less than helpful instructions..... Thanks for your help.
The Hyperpro manual I have on page 10 and it's on page 11 in the link that someone posted previously

"12 Fill the fork to the specified oil level (see frontpage: OIL LEVEL) The oil level (air chamber) is measured with the fork fully compressed and all the loose parts (preload bush, ring(s) and spring) removed. Make sure the fork is
compressed in the hydraulic lock; when the compressing becomes heavier,
push further until steel to steel contact is felt.
"

Maybe your reading the section for Upside down with separate cartridge, which isn't the forks you have.

In the Honda Service Manual page 17-22, shows same thing. Spring, spring collar, spring seat and the cap are all removed and you fully compress the fork, seal will bottom out, then let it set after you've stroked it multiple times to get air out and then measure oil level with it sitting vertical and level.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 01-08-2017 at 07:14 PM.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 AM

I was using USD separate cartridge - I had assumed the cartridge instructions were for the full hyperpro setup including their cartridges.

On my manual and the one posted earlier the detail you describe is under USD with cartridge and is on page 7.

Could you confirm I should be using the USD with cartridge for my reference?

Thanks for your assistance

A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page