Mainly road use. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mainly road use.

I know a lot of people will use their AT for off road use but I was wondering if there are any of you who use it almost all for on road use? And if so what are your thoughts of the AT as an on road bike? Have you changed set up for the road? And if so what have you done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 PM

I use the AT 75% road 25% off road , because in order to get to the good places i have no choice here in europe but ride normal roads , this bike is nearly perfect for me . It handles road work very well and if you have the balls it leaves many bikes behind in the rough stuff .
BUT if i was after a good bike to do 99% tarmac work i would look elsewhere , there are better "adventure" bikes out there ( triumph , bmw , yamaha , ktm ,... even the Honda's own crostourer ) .
If you buy this bike purely for road use you are wasting the true potential of this machine , but that does not mean that the bike will not work for you , just buy whatever you want and be happy .
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:00 PM

My Africa twin commutes, does the motorway miles, copes with the twistys and will cope with whatever roads I find in front of me. It fits me and makes me feel good.
sybjer likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Do you find any difficulties with the larger front wheel?

Last edited by Ulster AT; 06-13-2016 at 06:15 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Do you find an difficulties with the larger front wheel?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:26 PM

Yep, mainly road use, just like all my other Adventure bikes. I like the riding position, the style, the fact that my wrists don't hurt after 10 miles. Always been into trailie style bikes since my Suzuki TS100 @ 17 y.o. I've competed at MotoX and trials, can hold my own off road, and if being honest, I don't really need this type of large Adventure bike. But it's what floats my boat, and isn't that what matters ?
Drago and Dibbs like this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM

I have the DCT version that i use almost always on road, and as other have said with a few adjustments i love it for the road. you would have to ride it a lot harder than me to find the limitations of the bike and i have not had any issues with the larger front wheel. I am 6ft 4 and 110 kg and reckon its great.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 AM

I don't see the 21" front wheel as a problem. The bike is both very flickable and stable and there's no chicken strips on my tyres. Maybe it's possible I could run out of tread, but so far no worries. In fact, my 1190 Adv wasn't as stable when loaded with panniers and would break into a weave once I went past 95 mph. By 105, I was dicing with death and knew I'd lose control which was annoying as fully loaded GS riders would sail past at 110/115 mph seemingly without a care in the world (German autobahns btw). I've had the AT up to a GPS verified 108 mph loaded with panniers and she was as steady as a rock.

As for changing anything for road use....Continental Trail Attack 2 tyres. Brilliant tyre, wouldn't use anything else.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 AM

Hahahahahaha I will also be using mine 70% on road and 30% off road I reckon, but not until ive ruined the oem tyres that came with the bike and replaced them with either Karoo 3 or the new Dunlop adventure ones! I do have chicken strips as well and hope to sort these out with my up coming trip to and along the Pyrenees next week lol... oh and I wont be doing the kind of speeds reported here! (to scary for me) but its nice to know that it can go very fast if required....
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:09 AM

I'm 100% road use, (unless I make a mistake) I don't even notice the 21 inch front wheel, I have 3 bikes on the road, and if for some reason I had to go down to just 1 bike I'd choose the AT,
Like davy, the style of the bike suits me, and there's not really much I needed to change, I think I'll be changing the tyres to Trail Attack 2 in the not to distant future,
The std screen is IMHO better than the tall one, but not quite right for me, so I sent off for the adjustable parts made by Batzen , I hope those do the trick,

Adventure before Dementia,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page