Taking AT to Farnce... Advice please - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Taking AT to Farnce... Advice please

I've read that to ride in France you need fluorescent stickers on your helmet ...! Really ? Driven in France a few times , never notices helmets with shiny stickers?
Any one been recently can feed back please?

Hoeing to get down to Andorra and back !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henery View Post
I've read that to ride in France you need fluorescent stickers on your helmet ...! Really ? Driven in France a few times , never notices helmets with shiny stickers?
Any one been recently can feed back please?

Hoeing to get down to Andorra and back !
Nah, don't worry about it, as long as you are well behaved you will be fine.

the law says you need a high viz if you break down but you don't need to carry one (its only difficult if you have a problem)

Personally, i ride a lot in France & never bother as the police there are human and as long as you are respectful you will be fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:14 PM

Garage
Have a look at this site :-

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have heard it said that the sticker on helmet rule can be an issue in the Paris region. See also the regs with regard to bulbs and the Hi Viz jacket. I put the stickers on my helmet a couple of years ago. Not a big deal really.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:44 PM

I'm taking the AT to France next Thursday, have got my little stickers, high-vis etc - it's no big deal and costs bugger all.

You can always meet that grumpy cop on a bad day after all.

England hasn't been flavour of the month these last few days and I arrive the day we may well have effectively told the whole of Europe to sod off, that might effect attitudes to a UK plate...!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:45 PM

Hi I'm going through France next week to go to the moto GP in assen, I've got the hi-vis jackets, but no helmet stickers, your meant to have a spare bulb kit as well but as the AT has LED lights I'm not taking a spare headlight, will prob just put the bulb kit from the car in my panniers in case I meet that pissed off French cop. Remember to take your registration documents with you as that is also on there must have list !.
Ride safe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, taking ferry to st Malo, hoping to get to Andorra, back vi Milau bridge , maybe the Auverne , back via tunnel. Realistic for a coupe, of old boys on a jolly or is it going to be a marathon ?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry..... In a week .....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:03 AM

If you've not travelled to France before, I personally never set goals as that m ans you miss huge swathes of the country on motorways (also tolls), download Michelin map app or website it has green roads which are the scenic ones.
Head in a genaral direction you want, if you get there you do if you see something interesting on the way you might not, don't forget it's a jollY.
Don't forget also travel on nice twisty roads cuts speed and distance you can cover but increases the enjoyment of the journey.
Enjoy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM

We always aim for 200 miles a day, 250 max, that means a 9:30 start and in the hotel by 16:30. That's riding two-up on our own or in a group. We never do motorways and as a previous poster says, use a Michelin map and choose roads with a green line beside them.

Have fun.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM

I drive in France a lot and agree with everything already written. Never had any problems but have always had a fluorescent jacket somewhere on board (car and bike). Spare bulbs too. Have always found the police there to be friendly and helpful, although the they can be a little scary on occasion! (Guns drawn at a road block on the Spanish border a few years back) Usually I try to speak in French with helps. The southern Pyrenees are fantastic and the Cathar castles (Queribus and Peripertouse (spelt wrong I think) are well worth going too. Have fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page