Need help with installation of TT Fogs + Honda OEM fog switch - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bartho

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Need help with installation of TT Fogs + Honda OEM fog switch

Hi everyone,

Need your eyes in this silly matter which is confusing the **** out of me, even more confusing after talking to the Touratech workshop guys....

Attached is a photo of the cable spaghetti I got in the TT Fog lights package and additional items I purchased from Honda.

Consist of the following:
1 x HONDA OEM Fog light switch
1 x HONDA OEM 4 pin Splitter cable
1 x TOURATECH cable = fuse - relay - LED controller plug - Battery Pos/Neg - etc

I want to use the Honda Splitter to power the TT Fog lights, and replace the TT flick switch to the Honda OEM Switch.

I know that the front fairing has a power source, I sure already installed the 12v socket my self, and I also know that within the power source, the "Blue/Black" line is for the Fog lights.

But what I don't know is... How this mess is actually connected?

How to I make this work so it's not a massive mess?

I'm told by the TT workshop that the Battery Pos/Neg MUST be connected to the battery(?), as the relay must stay for the Fogs to work. This confused me, as I am trying to power it from the power source from the plug under front fairing.

Also, the flick switch on the TT cable, there is an extra line coming out from it, and it says "connect to POS of headlights"
This also got me well lost.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Maybe a drawing if anyone has the time?
I've done some simple wiring, but not have had to replace switches and work out power units etc.

Thanks!
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1467886588470.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	6362  

Last edited by Washryc; 07-07-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:51 PM

Garage
Try this.
Take the OEM Honda connectors out of the picture and figure out the TT supplied wiring.
It's confusing, because with the OEM plugs, you are trying to use two relays and switches.

The TT solution (wiring) is for a bike without the OP connector and is powered by
the headlight wire, into which they expect you to splice into.
Here, once ignition is on, the headlight wire will power the TT relay, and provide current for the fog lights.

Once you understand the wiring kit TT has sent you, you can replace the tacky toggle S/W with the OEM Honda S/W by simply matching wires.

Final decision is whether you want to use TT relay or the original OEM accessory plug (OP) behind the dash. The latter requires you to cut out the TT relay and wire the
terminal in the correct terminal of the OP.
Here, you can choose how the fog lights will come on/off.
Some like to have the fogs come on with HI-beam.
Some like to have the fogs on all the time etc.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
Try this.
Take the OEM Honda connectors out of the picture and figure out the TT supplied wiring.
It's confusing, because with the OEM plugs, you are trying to use two relays and switches.

The TT solution (wiring) is for a bike without the OP connector and is powered by
the headlight wire, into which they expect you to splice into.
Here, once ignition is on, the headlight wire will power the TT relay, and provide current for the fog lights.

Once you understand the wiring kit TT has sent you, you can replace the tacky toggle S/W with the OEM Honda S/W by simply matching wires.

Final decision is whether you want to use TT relay or the original OEM accessory plug (OP) behind the dash. The latter requires you to cut out the TT relay and wire the
terminal in the correct terminal of the OP.
Here, you can choose how the fog lights will come on/off.
Some like to have the fogs come on with HI-beam.
Some like to have the fogs on all the time etc.
Thanks for the reply.

But I was under the impression that I would need the relay to power the fog lights(?)

What I basically want to do is : turn the fog light on and off with the Honda OEM switch, by replacing the TT toggle switch. I don't need it to be off the headlights or Highbeam.

Also, this is the first time I've read I'll need to cut out the relay from the harness...

The more I read, the more confused I get tbh.

Is the following installation correct?

1) Cut off TT toggle switch and replace it with the HONDA OEM switch.
2) Connecting power using the 4pin connectors.
Connect the Harness RED (positive) to 4pin RED/YELLOW.
Connect the Harness BROWN (negative) to 4pin GREEN
Connect a wire from HONDA OEM switch 12V to 4pin BLUE/BLACK (this is so the FOG indicator will display on the dash)

I could be completely wrong here tho...
Still searching for the ONE answer.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM

Look at this blog from a forum member. You can download the fog light installation guide and you have a list from all parts needed.
Ho yes fog lights are: feux auxiliaires.

http://africatwin1000.blogspot.be/20...ation.html?m=1
DCTFAN likes this.

Last edited by Bartho; 07-07-2016 at 06:11 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM

Garage
Nice resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
Look at this blog from a forum member. You can download the fog light installation guide and you have a list from all parts needed.

bien! tres bien!
better resource than Honda

Washryc, you've been reading about the mysterious third OP connector
that HUB*** was trying to explain? All he found was the remnants of the fog kit- someone left behind the fog lamp sub-harness and he assumed it was OEM.
Guess he bought his AT used. Mystery solved.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Excellent. Thanks for link, Bartho.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartho View Post

Thanks for the info. I have the Honda off already and have gone thru it before.
Unfortunately my set up is not plug and play like the Honda one.
Some wires to be wires to different places etc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Hi....i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the TT solution is for a bike without the OP connector and is powered by the headlight wire, into which they expect you to splice into.Here, once ignition is on, the headlight wire will power the TT relay, and provide current for the fog lights.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Interesting that on my bike that the purple wire in the accessory plug (by the speedometer/dash connection) is the fog return and the blue/black is the high beam. Is that a North American thing? I tried the blue/black wire when testing and blew a fuse on my fog lights.

The Denali lights come with a pre-made harness complete with relay and trigger wire if you don't want to make your own harness or you can cut their harness apart and make your own (like I did) - works great. You can attach it to the OEM fog light switch and have it show up on the dash as well. Very slick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	17554  

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page