Should I buy? Now having second thoughts! - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Adjust the suspension and the front will feel a lot better. Lots of advice on here.
I've done this:-
Preload
Rear +15 clicks
Front plus 1 revolution

Front rebound Screw
+1 revolution
Front compression screw +1 1/2 turns

It suits me on the road.

I'm also changing tyres to continental TrailAttack 2, similar bias tyre but excellent reports, and Honda dealer recommendation for road use. I found them excellent on my 2014 1200GS.
If Metzler made a Tourance to fit I would use them as they've always been my favourite and transformed my F800GS.
Doug,
I'm very sorry for the late reply. I've just seen this post.

Before I change anything can I ask, are those settings on top of the factory settings or fully backed off and then set to the above?

I still have not got round to changing my tyres but will do soon.

cheers Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 09:11 PM

Hi
They are adjustments from factory settings.
Continental trail attack tyres fitted now and they transform the bike.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Doug,
I'm very sorry for the late reply. I've just seen this post.

Before I change anything can I ask, are those settings on top of the factory settings or fully backed off and then set to the above?

I still have not got round to changing my tyres but will do soon.

cheers Andy
Having spent the last 3 weeks in total confusion because a Wilbers Instruction manual was ambiguous and then proven incorrect, I have since established that the convention for describing damping adjustments is as follows.
All click adjustments are quoted as being from closed or maximum damped position (the term 'backed off' used above sounds to me like the opposite direction)
Also all adjusters are moved to the closed (max damped) position by turning them in like a screw. This is normally perceived as clockwise but demands a little contemplation for a rebound adjuster that is at the bottom of a rear shock, where clockwise or anticlockwise depends on whether you are looking at the adjuster from above or below.
Mike

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ok a timely update reminder.

Handling, well I'm not totally happy at the moment. The front end seems vague, and when pushed feels like it is washing out. But a lot of people are pointing to the tyres being at fault. So I'll change to them soon and report back.
You probably have this sorted by now but...I can't state this enough, before you change the tyres because of handling really look at the rear preload.

On standard settings my AT handled awfully, I mean really bad, mentioned elsewhere in these forums. I am heavier than most but a common thread on these forums is the rear being too soft. If you are washing out the front end is probably sitting too high. Wind up rear preload a good few clicks, test, wind up more until you are satisfied. You will notice the difference.

Forget all about damping on anything untill you get this preload sorted, that can wait and has much less of an effect on the handling compared to the preload settings. I very much like the handling now (on stock tyres) and it turns in nicely without drama and it is still rock solid at straightline high speed. I dont think the handling will ever be "sportsbikelike" but that must be down to the 21" wheel....can't have it all!
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Garage
If you come from a Gs 800 you'll be in heaven. It's a milestone, a truly magic bike. Just perfect, holistic sum of parts that just hits a spot every time.
If you come from a gs1200 you may miss a few things, particularly if you tour heavy, but gain elsewhere (nimbleness). Gave the keys to a buddy who has a fresh gs 1200 adventure, he went around the block and got off my bike screaming I should have taken a test ride on this one before buying the Gs. The GS now feels like a tank to him. He is an ex racer with a dream collection of cars and bikes. So even if you come from a Gs 1200 you may have a great time. Personally I never fell in love with adventure bikes till I rode the AT. And I borrowed several gs 1200 in different circumstances.
abj and Jackflash like this.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Maybe I should not have viewed this forum....

After 16 years of GS ownership I was looking for something with better build quality.

The Honda looked like the one to go to, they are reliable and the build quality has alway been good, but reading about the spokes and gearbox problems and heated grips I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Also the lack of response you guys are having from Honda does not bode well.

I've put a deposit down on a second hand AF. It's having new wheels fitted, but the dealer said that they would be like for like! So how long are they going to last?

Do I loose my deposit or take a gamble on the AF?
I have gazillions of dirt / adventure kilometers behind me on the BMW, and just recently changed to the AT.

To be honest, there are times where the GS is more comfortable. Long distance on tar and on a good dirt road the GS's mass, and good suspension, makes it feel great. Very often I would get home and could not believe what the bike achieved! BUT I was looking for something beter in more technical stuff. Here the longer travel suspension and 21 inch front wheel comes into its own. Another fact that gets overlooked is the 18 inch rear as apposed to the GS 17 inch. I believe the 18 inch rear helps in the dirt. Don't be put off by the motor's HP output. It is more than what you need for adventure riding.

I was fortunate to have the AT for a weekend before making the switch. From the moment I got onto the bike I felt at home. It is a extremely good compromise on long distance tar. At first I found it a bit 'skitish' on the dirt but that has been sorted out on my own AT by playing with suspension and tyre pressures.

If you are looking for something more dirt orientated and very good compromise to the BM, look no further!

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:51 PM

My thoughts exactly. I test drove the GS, KTM 1190, 1290, Ducati Enduro, Multistrada - price no object, and choose the AT. It just feels right (and contrary to magazine reviews, it is very quick/fast - esp the dct, imho)
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 03:50 PM

Not had any problems with rusty spokes or anything else in the 4.500 miles that I did on my bike in all weathers. I do use liberal amounts of ACF50.

The chai has been the biggest surprise only needed adjusting twice.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:30 PM

Garage
Test drove many adventure bikes over the years and none grabbed my attention as quickly at the AT during my first test ride on it. After ride I purchased a DCT machine and have put 4,300 miles on it since the end of July. No problems, just pure joy!

Steve
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 PM

My AT has been rock solid so far 3200 miles on DCT with no hiccups that you rarely hear about, (spokes, set button stick, DCT problems, cold start) Very happy so far! I purchased before riding as many of us did. I've owned previous Honda's (integra, TL) and were bulletproof. And also (2) BMWs (M3 and X5). Loved the BMWs too, but maintenance and parts $$ were ridiculous, to say the least. That issue alone sold it for me! $550US for a battery was enough for me. After all its in the adventure bike category, we don't want them to break down..........even if we sacrifice somethings for cost ie brakes, high HP etc..... Just my 2 cents for you to ponder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page