Should I buy? Now having second thoughts! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Should I buy? Now having second thoughts!

Hi All,

Maybe I should not have viewed this forum....

After 16 years of GS ownership I was looking for something with better build quality.

The Honda looked like the one to go to, they are reliable and the build quality has alway been good, but reading about the spokes and gearbox problems and heated grips I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Also the lack of response you guys are having from Honda does not bode well.

I've put a deposit down on a second hand AF. It's having new wheels fitted, but the dealer said that they would be like for like! So how long are they going to last?

Do I loose my deposit or take a gamble on the AF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 AM

Hi Striker

I've had a few falls neutrals and clunckiness the first 500 - 1000 km's, but now everything shifts smooth as butter. And even in those first km's it wasn't worrying.
I can't say anything about the spokes, mine still look like new, even with the bike sitting outside al the time.
Really, I can't find anything to fault it at the moment.

I thing a lot of the service has to do with the dealer.
I've worked in service and warranty for a VW dealership for a few years, and if the person at the desk is willing, a lot is possible.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 AM

Spokes will be sorted, heated grips are sorted, my gearbox after years of Bmw GS is like knife thru butter.
I've had warranty claims on everyone of my 7 BMWs and seen many people at dealership getting new engines,wheels, clutches, switches, gearboxes and chains.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Hi All,

Maybe I should not have viewed this forum....

After 16 years of GS ownership I was looking for something with better build quality.

The Honda looked like the one to go to, they are reliable and the build quality has alway been good, but reading about the spokes and gearbox problems and heated grips I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Also the lack of response you guys are having from Honda does not bode well.

I've put a deposit down on a second hand AF. It's having new wheels fitted, but the dealer said that they would be like for like! So how long are they going to last?

Do I loose my deposit or take a gamble on the AF?
Most people only post when they are having a problem. Those like me who aren't having any problems are too busy out riding this awesome machine. So you are getting a lopsided view of the bike. I have had no problems whatsoever (unless you count a sore butt from riding too much). I have had the bike for 2 weeks and I did my first oil change 2 days ago. Tightened/clean and lubed the chain and adjusted the clutch cable, kicked the tires and back out riding. Now having said that, if your are one of those people that HAVE to have a heated hand-grip then you should stick with a BMW or other luxury cruiser.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM

Garage
Mine has been fine from day 1, spokes fine, no more false neutrals than any other bike I have owned and that is just down to the odd lazy gearchange on my part, it has really not been an issue. As mentioned above, most people highlight problems. I myself have highlighted what I believe to be oversoft rear suspension but this is still the best bike I have ever owned and I can do something about that. I had the opportunity not to buy the bike after a test rides so I can live with the tubed tyres, without the cruise control and all the other things it doesn't have compared to alternatives. As long as you can then thats all OK. There are very few DOG bikes these days and the AT is certainly not one of them.
p2rider likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM

I have done 1400 miles on mine and no issues to report so far. I had the front suspension firmed up a couple of clicks at the first service as I found it was diving a little too much for me under hard braking, but that's probably just taste and riding style. Clutch cable needed a bit of slack taking out after a bit of initial stretch.

Great buke love it, would like another 10% power ideally but probably my only gripe.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:53 AM

I haven't had any problems.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I'll be picking it up on Friday.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Mine's not ready until the middle of October. I'll be going into negotiate me relacing the spokes independently with the dealer picking up the bill before I sign the PCP agreement, though.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Mine's not ready until the middle of October. I'll be going into negotiate me relacing the spokes independently with the dealer picking up the bill before I sign the PCP agreement, though.
I tried to get dealer/Honda UK to agree to that but was told Honda wouldn't do that.
BMW have in the past with a chain for the F800GS.

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page