Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum - View Single Post - Dual Purpose Tyre Choice
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:09 PM
superfunkomatic

I've ridden the Heidenau tires on my KLR and found them a compromise on road and off road - that's my opinion, I know lots of riders love them.

I replaced the Heidenaus mid-trip with Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires and found they were good as a tourer, gravel but not with muck or sticky/wet surfaces offroad.

I have also ridden the TKC80 tires and liked them but I don't think they are as 'magical' as they are made out to be. True to their reputation they are good on the street, good in gravel and offroad, but wore quickly (maybe 6,000 kilometres for the set).

I think the MT90 Pirellis look like a good mix of street and gravel duty for the AT. That's at the top of my list right now, too.

I'm tempted to try the Shinko 804/805 tires as well. I've read mostly good reports of street and offroad riding. They seem to have the benefits of a tire like the K60/TKC80 with good road manners and durability for long distances.

I have a marathon trip planned for the summer. I should be able to use up the stock tires (might as well use them up) and replace them on the second part of my journey.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome