Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Standard Screen or Touring Screen?

41K views 52 replies 42 participants last post by  richard thomas 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had experience riding an AT with both screens. I have heard that the standard screen is good with hardly any buffeting which would make you think the touring screen would be even better. However, I remember seeing a review from an English Journo who suggested he was getting buffeting from the touring screen and he did't like how the edge of the screen was in your line of sight. Didn't expect to hear of buffeting issues with a bigger screen??? Anyones experience in this area would be appreciated.

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!:wink2:

#2 ·
I think you should give your height for any reasonable answer to your question. The journo in question was probably just tall enough so the touring screen reflected the wind directly in his face. In all likelihood he may not have complained if it was the standard screen and the wind hit him slightly below his face. Lots of influential factors.

#3 ·
I'm 5'11'', and on standard seat, i found the standard screen very good, hitting my helmet just above the visor. I then road the bike with a touring screen expecting it to be better. What I found was that it was that the wind no longer hit the top of my helmet, however there was increased turbulence. In balance I found the standard screen so quiet and smooth air, that I am staying with the standard, much to my own surprise (at least it saves me £100.

#4 ·
I'm 5.11 and found the standard screen pretty decent. I tried a demo bike with the taller screen too, and although the buffeting was reduced, it was a barely noticeable difference
The option for the taller screen is the same price as buying the taller screen later, so save your money initially, and see if you like it, the buy the taller one later if you don't

#5 ·
I'm the same height as rjp and graeme so I'll stick with the original screen and order the touring later if it is an issue. Personally, I like the look of the original and being able to see over the screen while on trails would be an advantage. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

#9 ·
I am 5'9" and have ridden an AT with both screens.

Standard screen - perfect for me. No buffeting and good weather protection.
Touring screen - top of screen cut my line of sight. Good weather protection, but buffeting from the sides. Vibrated a fair bit too.

I think the touring screen was an after thought by Honda. It does not look as good as standard and probably did not spend much time in the wind tunnel.

Standard screen for me.

#10 ·
Thanks Windy,

That was great feedback. Not too many people can say they've ridden the bike with both screens so your insight supports my thoughts from what I've read so far. I totally agree, the the standard screen looks better.

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

#11 ·
I'm 179cm and the standard screen is ok for me. I still get a bit of turbulence - perhaps because I have an Arai Quantum and a reasonably long body. I may get a small extension on the top of the screen. But I've just bought a new helmet so that may be better. We'll see.

On an even more positive note the standard screen is significantly better than the BMW 1200 GS and 1200 GSA screens were when I tried them out.

#12 ·
Picked up my AT this morning from the dealer and went out for a 1st ride. I am 1.90 m (6' 3") and was curious how the std screen would perform w.r.t. buffeting. Big disappointment, turbulance and loud wind noise at the helmet. Did not wear ear plugs on purpose. Stopped and installed the adjustable wind spoiler from my previous bike on top of the screen; spoiler 11 cm high. Huge difference, no buffeting anymore. However I will use earplugs in future because there is still much noise; the exhaust is also pretty loud, but with a very good sound. My feeling is that the spoiler does a better job than the touring screen, which is only 8 cm higher than the std screen (measured at the dealer).

#16 ·
Hi Wadeo,
I have the standard screen on mine and the wind is at a good level of my neck. The helmet is fully in the air stream and feels ok. I have to use plugs for long rides as the noise from the chinstrap is bad but that is just the helmet, and my odd shaped head I'm 6'2" and ride with the visor up all the time. Arai XD 4 helmet. I had a Laminar Lip screen on my Strom which gave me a nice clean bubble to ride in. I might look at one of these again. I'm loving the new thing and have done 80% on dirt roads so far and it is nice and stable.

#17 · (Edited)
Hi Dirt Donkey,

Thanks for your thoughts regarding the screen. I've had my AT for about 6 weeks now and have stuck with the standard screen. I agree that this screen isn't too bad, however I too wear ear plugs on longer rides due to wind noise. Like you, I like to ride with the visor up. I'm 6' so I find I'm up in the wind as well. My greatest fear with a taller screen is having the top of it in my line of site. Especially, if you're in the dirt!

I am a big fan of the AT. The engine to me just keeps getting better. I thought it was sounding great after the first service, but yesterday (now 1600kms) I was in the tight and twisty mountain roads and while chopping back down through the gears for braking, the engine note was just amazing for a stock pipe. Many happy trail rides ahead.

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

#18 ·
Pictures of the adjustable wind spoiler on top of the std screen. Spoiler from my previous NC700X. Std screen disappointing with much buffeting; my length is 1.90m / 6' 3". Huge improvement with the spoiler, nu buffeting anymore. Still wearing ear plugs because of the overall wind noise and relative loud exhaust noise.

Attachments

#20 ·
Body length makes the difference. Indeed this std screen is far better than the (touring) screen I had on my NC700X. Also with the spoiler installed I had a lot of turbulance at the helmet on the NC700X, giving me headache.
The 11 cm high spoiler makes a lot of difference on the AT. Did not expect it. Made my 1st ride on Friday and was disappointed about the std screen; reports on this forum were very positive. Stopped after 10 minutes and installed the spoiler Difference between day and night. Wind noise is no problem, but turulance is very annoying.
When you read forums, wind screens are always the hottest topic.

#21 ·
I always thought buffeting referred to the weird turbulence thing caused by the negative pressure behind the screen?

Either way, whatever it's called, my head being up in clean air is no problem to me. In fact helmet venting works better that way. But the weird negative pressure thing is horrible and gives me a headache. Feels like someone keeps slapping you in the back of the head. So for that reason, even though I'm 6'3" I will stick with the standard screen when I get my AT probably.

#27 ·
Hello,

I'm 180cm/5,91ft tall.
I use the lower seat height.

With the touring screen there is a sweet spot at 70-90 km/h speed. Just silent.
But over 100kh/h the buffeting starts. Very distracting as if someone is slapping on your helmet. I hear this low frequency slapping inside my head even if I use earplugs.

I will try higher seat position. If it doesn't help, I wiil switch back to standard screen. It doesn't have a sweet spot at 70-90km/h, but is doesn't have buffeting as well.
I think std screen is comfortable at a wider speed range.

Rgds,
Fatih

#30 ·
I went through all this on my last bike and ended up buying a secondhand MRA with spoiler. I very rarely needed to close my visor after and the buffeting was gone. Funilly enough i found the spoiler worked best in the lowest position. However we must all realise we are all different sizes and shapes and what works for one person may not suit other users. For example i am finding the std screen as "ideal" for ME ?

#51 ·
Hi,
Just bought a 2018 AT and I am considering the option of taller screen due to buffeting etc....can you tell me which of the MRA screens you used, and type of deflector?? Is it a success?

I am about 5ft 10inch tall and with std small screen seem to get a fair bit of noise and buffetting. Bit disappointing on what seems to be a great bike.
Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.