ABS+DCT AT - New vs test-ride bike - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

ABS+DCT AT - New vs test-ride bike

Hello everyone.
As I said in my presentation thread, I did a test ride this past weekend. It was a tri-colour ABS+DCT model with the foot gear lever and the slip-on Akrapovic exaust.
I was talking with the dealership and they told me that there is not supposed to be any changes to the 2017 model. The only this expected to be released is a rally version of the AT. If this is what I’ve seen on the web, I have no interest on that rally version.
The person with whom I’ve been talking is going to EICMA and told me that after that he will have everything clarified.
The thing is, a brand new AT ABS+DCT costs here in Portugal around 15.000€. The dealer said that the test drive AT would cost me around 12.500€ (without foot gear lever, and without the Akrapovic slip-on) . It currently has 19##kms on the clock and it can only be released in December. The dealer told me that by then it will have something around 3000km on the clock.
He also told me that the ‘break in’ (I don’t know if this is the correct term - it’s the first 1000km) was done by him on a journey he went to Spain.
I have full confidence in the dealer, he is a very experieced person regarding motorbikes. He even rode a Dakar rally and it doesn’t seem to be the kind of person that would ride the ‘break in’ in a way that it could damage the bike. Nevertheless the bike is a test ride machine and some friends of mine say that usually one someone picks up the bike, they go to highway to check the top speed. Well, not everyone… I did not tested its top speed, though I tested how it was at high speed (170kph).
He also told me that if I would be interested in the foot gear lever and the Akrapovic, he could also make a rebate on their price.
So the rebate with foot gear lever and Akrapovic included would be around 3.000€ less.

I would like to know your opinion regarding buying a new bike 0Km versus the test drive bike, with around three months old, 3000km on the clock, but for less 3000€.

I’m thinking having the bike for 5+ years. Maybe even ten. Who knows, and 3000€ for me is a reasonable amount of money.

Which do you guys think is the best deal?

Wish you all safe and pleasant rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
So new bike is ?15000
Used bike WITHOUT additional gear ?12500

How much is it with the exhaust and gear lever? You said ?3000 less? I'm a bit confused.

Th exhaust is nice, but is it the full system (I'm guessing it's the full system for that price?)? Or just rear can? It's not needed, but it is nice. The factory exhaust is already prett nice. Tho I have also changed over to Arrow end can which only costed around ?350. There are times I think it's just a bit too loud.

As for the gear lever, I have only read once or twice people on the forum with it purchased. I can see the advantages, but I never saw the point really. You buy a DCT to let IT do the work, and when you need to gear up/down, I personally find it less thinking needed when it's just my thumb moving.

But either way, 3000km on a bike isn't too bad. Not test rider will do top speed runs, but you can be sure most test riders will run it when possible to see what the bike can do.
Just make sure the first service was done properly and maybe get him to throw in the 1 year service in for free?
You're saving your self ?3000 plus the first service and remember, (and if it's the same a set Germany, ) your bike should still have warranty until the end of the second year. Any problems will be covered by a Honda.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:30 AM

Manel, I'd say go for it , you still have the warranty should anything go wrong, thats a big saving, I have a DCT Model a fantastic choice wouldn't go back to foot change, don't even know why you'd need a foot gear change on the DCT, IMHO,

Adventure before Dementia,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM

Dear Manel; I come from a bmw gs800 which I bought with 3000km even without seing and tried the bike (i was in Porto and the GS in Lisboa in BMW portugal). I make myself very trust in the dealer where I made that choice and everything went well...
So if you trust that dealer (LOPES&LOPES?) and if you did experiment the bike and you didn't notice any default you should consider that buy because you'll save a lot of €. 3000km in a twin paralell 1000cc is nothing...and for 375€ you can extend de OEM warranty 2 more years... I just bought mine this friday and the dealer has one more brand new available right now. I was wondering as well for the differences for 17 model but he also advirtised me that the models would come unchanged, even the colors, so i made my choice now to avoid the income taxes rise (ISV+price inflation). My advice is that you should take the oportunity (you can pressure the dealer to deliver the bike earlier or even stay at you garage till December and then made the name transfer)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Washryc, sorry.
Here are the prices:
New bike (no extras) 15.000€
Test bike (no extras) 12.500€
New bike (foot gear lever and rear Akra can) 16500€ (aprox.)
Test bike (foot gear lever and rear Akra can) 13500€ (aprox.)

The Akra is only the rear can.
I know the foot lever is more 'old school' and I'm newbie (got my license two weeks ago), but like the feel of it. It's almost the same as manual but with no clutch, some kind of quickshift alike. I believe that in my daily commute I'll stick to D, but taking it to the twisty roads nerby I'll use it for sure. I used it more than the 'paddles' during the test ride. I can say that I liked it very much, but I recon that its utility is arguable. Since it is installed I can get it for a little less, so maybe I'll stick to it.

The rear can I really like the sound, though I also like the stock. Honestly, visually I prefer the stock because it has that sharp edges, whereas the Akra is round, so the joint between the pipe and the can (that black sharp-edged cover) and then the round Akra don't look very pretty. But I really really, like the sound of it. The one I like the most is the Termignoni exaust, full system, but I think it's about 2000€, so for me it's out of question. At least for the next few years.

Elvisto and Diogo, I'm thinking on getting the H2+ warranty extension (from 2 to 4 years).

Yes Diogo, I went to Lopes & Lopes. I got my scooter there and I fully trust in them. I don't even think on getting the bike anywhere else.
When I got my scooter I went to other dealerships nearby, the price was slightly lower, but I didn't like the way I was treated.

Please take notice I don't have any affiliation with Lopes&Lopes. I'm just a satisfied customer.
At L&L I go there and they know me. I know that they give me the best advise. They are very competent, professional but also very sympathetic. It was Mr. Antonio who 'broke in' the bike, and that gives me a reasonable amount of trust that it was done as it should be.

It's funny Diogo, because one of the competition bikes is the F800Gs, and I was thinking about testing it, but after the AT's test drive my Mrs asked me why should I bother testing other bikes. So you can imagine how I was after riding the AT! Jeeeez... She really knows me.

Curious thing is that she was trying to convince me to get a black or a silver one, but when she saw the tri-color 'live' she changed her opinion.

Guys, thank you for your kind words.
Wish you safe and pleasant rides.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:41 AM

The footshift is a waste of money. I've been riding for 21 years on a daily basis, all manual bikes till my DCT AT, and I can tell you that the hand shifting is way more intuitive once you get a few miles on the bike. It's one of the real pleasures of riding this bike in manual mode. It also makes offroad shifting a lot easier when wearing big boots. Yes, I realize you can still do that with the foot shifter, but why buy something that's not needed.

The Akra might be nice but they can be bought for about $710 delivered on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akrapovic-Ho...xYAQj9&vxp=mtr

2016 Tricolor DCT

Last edited by True Ad Venture; 10-31-2016 at 08:45 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 AM

Dear Manel, I bought a manual gear test bike with 6 months and 2500 Km on the clock. I saved 2500 but I have the constant concern that something went awry with this bike. I experience false neutrals and start failures. There is something squeaking and I could not find what. These nuisances are not constant, so the dealer sees no fault. They changed anyway the start button under warranty, but the start failures happened again. It might had been the same with a brand new bike and actually I do not regret having saved 2500 bucks, but I wonder about the gears. This is visibly not your problem because you get a DCT though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ad Venture View Post
The footshift is a waste of money. I've been riding for 21 years on a daily basis, all manual bikes till my DCT AT, and I can tell you that the hand shifting is way more intuitive once you get a few miles on the bike. It's one of the real pleasures of riding this bike in manual mode. It also makes offroad shifting a lot easier when wearing big boots. Yes, I realize you can still do that with the foot shifter, but why buy something that's not needed.
Yep - my feelings too. I was going to buy one for my NC750 and was sure it would make riding more pleasurable, but as people say it doesn't take long before you realise that it's more intuitive using paddles and much less effort. One less thing to get your bootlaces tangled in as well.
Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 PM

Manel F800GS ias a proper good motorcycle but has bigger defaults. The engine starts vibrate too much after 4000RPM. the suspensions even they are WP they're very poor when compared to showa. If you want to buy something for the GS you kinda should rob a bank or something like that. for example the original metal panniers+top case should cost around 2500€. even the OEM glass need to be changed.
So i made my choice to buy an AT and i am well served.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Hi Diogo.
Indeed I consider the F800Gs a good option. Nevertheless I?ve become aware that there are some issues regarding the electronics, and the current model now features accelerator ?by-wire?, i.e. more electronics. You?ve just confirmed my suspicions that the maintenance is way too expensive, as well as the price for accessories. If you compare it to an AT with an equivalent level of equipment you?ll realise the price is similar if not higher. One curious thing I?ve found while searching some consumption-logging sites is that the F800Gs has a slightly higher consumption than the AT.
For me, IMHO, the AT is a better (if not the best) option.
And I won?t even talk about the looks of both.

Have safe and pleasant journeys, everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page