Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT SxS price - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT SxS price

Honda has posted information and prices for it's 2016 Pioneer 1000 line here: http://powersports.honda.com/2016/pioneer-1000-5.aspx

Honda Pro Kevin posted a lot more details and insider information on the 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 Side by Side here:
http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2016-honda-pioneer-1000-1000-5-review-specs-video-sxs-utv-side-by-side-atv-sxs1000/ )

Most notable to me, are the prices for Pioneer 1000 models:
2016 Pioneer 1000 Price / MSRP: $13,999 (base model), (Prices for other models with more seating and electric power steering, range up to $18,000.)

So why is this notable? Pioneer and CRF-AT share the same basic engine, and all Pioneer 1000's come with DCT (six speed with reverse). Of course, a side by side UTV is substantially larger, heavier, with more parts and is more complex than a dual sport motorcycle. And naturally, costs more to build. However, the Pioneer is being "made" in the USA with foreign and domestically sourced parts and that might lower costs a little.

So the big question is, will Honda price the CRF-AT commensurate with its cost of production compared to the Pioneer 1000 UTV, or just arbitrarily price it to compete with other ADV models such as Suzuki's VStrom 1000? The VStrom is about $13000 and IMO it would take some serious chutzpah for Honda to set the CRF-AT base model anywhere near that price when, for another thousand dollars, you could get a Pioneer 1000 with DCT and a whole lot more.

Using Polaris as an example of a company making UTV's and motorcycles, and the RZR 1000 EPS (MSRP $20,300) and Indian Scout 1000 (Indian is owned by Polaris) base MSRP is $11,300, we can say that Polaris is demonstrably able to make and sell a 1000cc motorcycle for 56% of the price of a 1000 cc UTV. I'm pretty sure we wont be seeing any CRF-AT's priced at $8000 (56% of $14K) but if Honda can't bring the base CRF-AT to market well under $10000, I will be very disappointed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM

I don't know if you're getting the base AT at sub $10K. In fact I don't think there's a brand new 1000cc bike ont he market that can be had for under $10K...

but I'd happily be wrong...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Dex

I don't think that the ATV using the same engine will really have an influence on the Africa Twin. It's not like people will be cross shopping ATVs and the CRF-AT. They are going to price with consideration to the bikes that it will be competing against.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
I don't know if you're getting the base AT at sub $10K. In fact I don't think there's a brand new 1000cc bike ont he market that can be had for under $10K...

but I'd happily be wrong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I don't think that the ATV using the same engine will really have an influence on the Africa Twin. It's not like people will be cross shopping ATVs and the CRF-AT. They are going to price with consideration to the bikes that it will be competing against.

You both might be right, but if the never ending complaints from political pressure groups in the US has taught me one thing, it's that you don't get if you don't ask. So in my opinion, a good reason for posting on the Africa Twin forum is that Honda marketing guys might actually read our posts, and consider our concerns in taking decisions about things like pricing.

If the consensus here is that paying the same price for the CRF-AT as for a Pioneer 1000 or VStrom 1000 or a R1200GS is the right thing, Honda will have no excuse for making less profit by offering a lower price and might even raise the price to make more profit. If the inmates here push back against paying that kind of money for a CRF-AT for whatever reason (and I have several), Honda might have second thoughts about it. If Honda isn't listening, our buying decisions will speak for themselves.
Nessuno likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBill0 View Post

You both might be right, but if the never ending complaints from political pressure groups in the US has taught me one thing, it's that you don't get if you don't ask. So in my opinion, a good reason for posting on the Africa Twin forum is that Honda marketing guys might actually read our posts, and consider our concerns in taking decisions about things like pricing.

If the consensus here is that paying the same price for the CRF-AT as for a Pioneer 1000 or VStrom 1000 or a R1200GS is the right thing, Honda will have no excuse for making less profit by offering a lower price and might even raise the price to make more profit. If the inmates here push back against paying that kind of money for a CRF-AT for whatever reason (and I have several), Honda might have second thoughts about it. If Honda isn't listening, our buying decisions will speak for themselves.
hmmm...

thinking about it over night...

ABS and DCT equipped bikes will be Hondas margin leaders surely. Honda already knows DCT has a better take rate then MT's when they offer them.

Could they go a little lower on base MSRP knowing full well they make up the difference and then some on the ABS and DCT models???
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
hmmm...

thinking about it over night...

ABS and DCT equipped bikes will be Hondas margin leaders surely. Honda already knows DCT has a better take rate then MT's when they offer them.

Could they go a little lower on base MSRP knowing full well they make up the difference and then some on the ABS and DCT models???
That might have been the plan originally, but now that ABS and TC will be standard on all US AT's, it will all come down to MSRP for the base model.

As for the cost of DCT, it adds $1500 US to the VFR1200 price, and for the NC700, DCT is just $500 more and that includes ABS. Since the CRF-AT will already have ABS, it will be hard to justify charging more than -- shall we say $500 to $750 for DCT? I'm inclined to think that $500 is the more likely amount, if only because Honda seems to really believe in DCT for bikes and could use low cost/high value to increase acceptance by American riders. (Dirt bike riders with Rekluse auto-clutches wont give them up and sport bike guys are loving quick shift systems that blip the engine and permit clutch free shifting once underway, so the tide may be changing in Honda's favor.)
ricecrispy likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 AM

Garage
Well I am a Honda Pioneer guy and I was resheaching this new engine and DCT that they where takeing for the New AT bike and Sticking it in the Pioneer 1000. I have also been planing on buying a duel- sport for some time now and that is what lead my here. Now i think i am sold on the AT!

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejunkiebobby View Post
Well I am a Honda Pioneer guy and I was resheaching this new engine and DCT that they where takeing for the New AT bike and Sticking it in the Pioneer 1000. I have also been planing on buying a duel- sport for some time now and that is what lead my here. Now i think i am sold on the AT!
Are you looking at the DCT as well?

Bill's been telling us about a potential foot shift accessory from Honda, allows you to shift the bike with your foot instead of a thumb flipper... Which if they make available to us I will be taking DCT no issues
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 02:06 AM

Garage
Yes I plan to have the DCT in my AT1000 and my P1000m5. This way I can onestop shop for supplies and learn (repairs) one engine and Trans for both rides.

I hope the Foot shifter pans out for us. I think that will be the gravy onthe brisket!
Paige likes this.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejunkiebobby View Post
Yes I plan to have the DCT in my AT1000 and my P1000m5. This way I can onestop shop for supplies and learn (repairs) one engine and Trans for both rides.

I hope the Foot shifter pans out for us. I think that will be the gravy onthe brisket!
Do we know they'll be sharing a gearbox?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page