Extended warranty or no? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By High Country
  • 1 Post By jsb223
  • 1 Post By danwray

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Extended warranty or no?

Just bought a 2016 Africa Twin DCT today. Of course they sprung the extended warranty question on me at the last minute. I convinced them to let me think about it for a couple days.

1yr included
2 yr $450
3 yr $750

Canadian prices. What do you think? Should I go for it or no?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:31 PM

Most of the time you also get a chance to purchase the extended warranties near the end of your warranty period. I usually wait until then to see how things go and if I think I will need it. Is it through Honda?
Malone76 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Through Honda, yes. I would imagine the extended warranty costs more seeing as you're purchasing it later though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixter View Post

Through Honda, yes. I would imagine the extended warranty costs more seeing as you're purchasing it later though.
Not what I was told by the dealer that sold me the bike.
nixter likes this.

The easiest way to turn a dollar into a dime is to pay it in taxes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM

My dealer also said I can purchase the extended warranty at any time in the first year of ownership before the factory included warranty runs out, and I also am waiting to see if there's anything on the bike that causes me to believe a first year model might have issues later on. Within that timeframe, the price does not change. I am of the understanding though that if you wait past that, and the original warranty is allowed to expire, the extended warranty can no longer be purchased from Honda.
nixter likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 PM

I went with a 5 year extended warranty mostly because of the complexity of the DCT.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:09 AM
G20

You don't have to buy the extended warranty from your local dealer. You can shop around at any Honda dealer. Make some phone calls and it will save you some money.

My local dealer wanted over $650 for a 5 year warranty. I shopped around, told the dealer what other dealers were willing to sell the same warranty for and got $250 off of it.

You can also cancel the extended before your original factory warranty expires for a full refund or a pro rated refund after that.

2016 Silver DCT
Snoqualmie, WA
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 PM

One advantage of getting the extended warranty when you buy the bike is that you can include it in the loan, assuming you are taking one out. Let's you spread the cost over a few years if you needed to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page