Tricolor in the USA - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbeetle View Post
Doubt it. They're probably limiting the color simply to add flavour(marketing) in the following year as they don't expect to sell that many in the US when compared to Africa and Europe markets.
THIS.

next year they add a new colorwave and we can all ouuu and ahhh.

I'd love to see them bring back a few older, high impact liveries for nostalgia
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:56 PM

I mentioned to my better half that I liked the RWB with gold rims. She gave me a slap and told me to stop choosing girly colours - think it was the gold wheels and the white pearlescent that tipped her over the edge. She doesn't do heritage (other than the fact she's younger than me).

She prefers the all black one...
erey likes this.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbiker View Post
What's the purpose of restricting colors in different markets? Not sure I get the point of it... just import a few of the other colors too... is there more to it than that?
It might have something to do with needing to stock replacement body parts for each color option. They (Honda) must consider overhead expenses (storage, tracking, re-stocking) which get tacked on to the price they have to charge us.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
I mentioned to my better half that I liked the RWB with gold rims. She gave me a slap and told me to stop choosing girly colours - think it was the gold wheels and the white pearlescent that tipped her over the edge. She doesn't do heritage (other than the fact she's younger than me).

She prefers the all black one...
well did you kindly inform her that you don't choose the color of her eye shadow...
eltel62 likes this.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

SO I just read over on ADV that the reason no tri-color in the USA is because Honda Europe has exclusive rights to it...

Quote:
Honda EU was the lead on getting this bike build. As such the lead gets exclusive rights to their 1st year color of choice. Honda EU choose tri color & thus Honda NA could not get it even if they wanted it. This is how Honda corp works and is directly from a high level Honda employee.

Not saying it's true, but a very good excuse for 'next year'

Last edited by ricecrispy; 12-22-2015 at 12:51 PM.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
well did you kindly inform her that you don't choose the color of her eye shadow...
Er - no! I wasn't quick enough to think of that riposte! And I quite like the black one too...
ricecrispy likes this.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBill0 View Post
It might have something to do with needing to stock replacement body parts for each color option. They (Honda) must consider overhead expenses (storage, tracking, re-stocking) which get tacked on to the price they have to charge us.
... I think it's simply that the Africa Twin wasn't released in America and so the HRC (red/white/blue) colors hold more heritage interest with European's. I.e. Honda think they can sell more HRC colored bikes in Europe and ship the silver ones that nobody wants to the States without them realizing! But American's also have taste (stop sniggering at the back!) and seem to prefer the HRC colors too!

I spoke with Honda NA HQ this week and the contact I spoke with told me that the first DCT bikes to hit the U.S. showrooms will be silver (presumably these will be used for demo's due to lack of orders, ha!) - shortly followed by Dakar Rally (red) bikes.

However, the person I spoke to, also thought that the HRC colors would become availble in 2017, as they were getting a lot of calls from customers saying they want the (well-received with the media) DCT, but silver is a deal breaker for them.

While I think the silver looks classy in some ways, to me personally it also shouts boring commuter too. Actually, who am I kidding, I'm just trying to be kind to those who like it - I think it sucks!

To me, this bike should smack of at least some Dakar adventure heritage, even if the most off-roading most bikes will see, is from the garden shed, across the garden, to the main road

I'd like an HRC colored DCT, because I'm old enough to remember cooing over the gold accents on the 650/750 first gen. And silver doesn't float my boat personally. But the red/black/white scheme also looks great I think and will be popular in both manual and DCT models.

So this morning I ordered a red one.... well, it's got the word Dakar in its color description, so it must be good right?

marsbeetle and rider_marc like this.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I agree. I think the silver color scheme was designed to be a safe, sensible, commuter option. But as it turns out, Honda have just created a bike that's too exciting to feel right being that understated. Silver works for the NC750 bikes, but not for the Africa Twin.

Still, they've made them now, and have to sell them somewhere so I suppose restricting color options in certain markets is a way to do that.

I'm just glad we're getting the dakar red color this year. I'd have had a really really tough time picking between the tricolor and dakar red, so not having the option at least means I don't have to agonize over that!

If we'd only got the silver in the DCT at launch, I may have given some consideration to waiting another year to buy. That's how much I hate the silver. Sorry silver lovers if you're out there, just my opinion!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:20 AM

Yoo Hoo! 2017 HRC Tricolor!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 AM

I do like the first pic, Green and gold looks Brilliant, what year was that ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page