Terrible news for anyone waiting (myself included) - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:13 AM

All the best anotherbiker - let us know where you end up as I for one would like to know how you get on with your travels.

Love the S10 - good choice. Rumour has it they get the odd rusty spoke too but that's about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:59 AM

Dealer Differences

I called my dealer today asking for the latest news on the Honda plant situation and a realistic delivery time. He said he did not know about the earthquake but did not think it should delay delivery. I ask if he had info on what bikes he was going to get ( red, silver, DCT or standard) in his first delivery and probable ship date. Had no idea but would call the Honda rep and call me back. ??????? (I was the first to put down a deposit for an AT with them).

I'm wondering why some of the dealers seem to know these things AND keep you informed and mine seems to be "in the dark" and tells me nothing. Maybe it's time to look for a new dealer to buy my AT. (DCT a must, color I think Silver but could go with the Red. I would love Red White and Blue.
Up till this I have loved my dealer and recommended them to anyone that asked. And this issue will not effect my other dealings with them. Unfortunately the closest Honda dealer to me has a very poor reputation and my personal experiences with them confirm it. I really would like to get my bike from this dealer but my confidence with their new sales department is low and getting a little lower.

It would help us poor North American AT fans if you lucky guys overseas that actually have them would let us know where you are located, and where you get your accessories. Some may not be available in the US, or just too costly with all the shipping expenses.

We know several countries in Europe already have them available.

You guys are great about sharing info on all the different accessories and upgrades you've added, issues you've found, products comparison with actual hands on reviews.

I want to send you all a "Big Thank You" because your sharing goes a long way to help keep our spirits up while we suffer through the long and unknown waiting period before we too can bring home our AT.

I'll keep riding one of my Transalps (while I sell the other one) while I wait and wait......

Ride safe and often. And keep telling us how much you like the DCT.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to put all this in writing to get it out of my head. I hate negative thoughts, and sharing this has lifted my spirits.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transalp I.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	4242   Click image for larger version

Name:	26de_1.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	4250  
JasonWD likes this.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM

Worth the wait

So worth the wait, picked up my AT manual yesterday, long story but ended up with black rims on a Tricolour as my gold rims got given to a Red and White AT owner. As it turns out I really like the black rims, tones the Tricolour down a notch and the gold rims blinged up the Red and White bike. Have ridden it all day today and didn't want to get off. Have owned over 40 bikes and the AF is just stunning. Most similar bike was my KTM 990 but the AT has the edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	4282  

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the picture Steve. I'm thinking of putting tubeless wheels on mine and I think I might go for black wheels having seen yours. (I might bling them up with red nipples though...)
Steve likes this.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 PM
ojo

Really looks pretty good with the black rims :-)
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Hello guys, I ordered my AT last week (manual tranny in red). Dealer at Pompano, Fl said I was only the 6th in the waiting list but could not promise me a precise eta....could take anywhere from 2-8 months which could well overlap with the 2017 model. So Today, I find myself on a waitlist of eternity, browsing for matching helmet and gear, slip ons and etc....don't know how I will hold on for another 180 days lol. I may need therapy lol, so whoever receives their AF, please post pics and explain your experience .... And that might calm me down.
Cheers
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 PM

Father and son had bought two AT's from my dealer. Son had the red and white manual but wanted gold rims, his Dad offered him his rims off his DCT tricolour only trouble was the dealership were still waiting to get the DCT in. Took wheels off a spare manual Tri to get the sons bike delivered. When I came in the following week to order a manual Tri they said I needed to wait for the next shipment approx at the end of May. Didn't know they had the manual, now with black rims out the back, called in to see what the wait time would be now after the sad news of the earthquake, was told could be anywhere up till December, they just weren't sure. They then said my bike was actually out the back but were waiting on the fathers DCT to get my rims, all of a sudden the black rims looked just fine to me and now I actually really like them. Hoping for every one waiting that the Dec date was an extreme suggestion.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 PM

Interesting news. Thoughts go out to the families in Japan.

Waiting to get my wings back.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:54 PM

Thumbs up

Checked in with my dealer today. I'd put deposit down mid-March on the single DCT they'd ordered for stock, and apparently was the first person to seriously want to buy the bike. Sales guy told me my delivery date is still holding at 5/29. So fingers crossed, all!

"Not all who wander are lost." -- J.R.R. Tolkein
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Alp

I decided today that since Honda UK have no idea when my DCT AT will be available due to the earthquake damage at the factory and that my bike is not included in the 41 currently in transit to the UK I have cancelled my order. No one's fault and the dealer was very understanding and even returned my deposit. I've been investigating alternatives...Multistrada (More power than I can be trusted with, from experience); Triumph Explorer (a bit of a top heavy lump); KTM (coarse engine, characteristics); Yamaha S10 (needs an update); MV 800 whatsitsname (engine sounds like a bag of nails and the company is in dire financial straits); Triumph Tiger 800s (looks like someone has built them in a shed and suspect quality from my experience); Kawasaki/Suzuki (built down to a price). So, it's back to a BMW GS again (had one in 2013) and this time it's a GS Alpine which I pick up later this week with the cast wheels, extra front lights, Akrapovic exhaust plus the bells and whistles I had before. So now I can plan my riding for the summer.
The test ride I had on the DCT AT was very good but I just can't wait indefinitely.
Greybloke likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page