Will More People Choose DCT or Conventional Manual? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustPlainBill0

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Will More People Choose DCT or Conventional Manual?

I ask because on the world Honda page they have a statistic up that claims the majority of shoppers on DCT optional bikes are taking DCT. Its a slim margin, but still a majority...

Quote:
Honda has sold over 35,000 DCT-equipped machines in Europe since its 2010 introduction and in 2015 more people (53% of the total) have chosen DCT over a standard manual transmission on the models (VFR1200X Crosstourer, VFR1200F, NC750X and NC750S) which feature it as an option. The Africa Twin comes with the option of a new evolution of DCT which includes specific off-road capabilities.
http://world.honda.com/news/2015/215...win/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:34 PM

Count me in for a DCT equipped CRF1000L - though I hope a foot shift lever option is available as it is for the NC700 and maybe CTX700 models.

I do know that about half the European VFR1200X Crosstourer riders choose DCT equipped bikes. And, that 96% of new cars sold in the US (2013) are equipped with automatic transmissions. I wonder why that is...
Paige likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBill0 View Post
Count me in for a DCT equipped CRF1000L - though I hope a foot shift lever option is available as it is for the NC700 and maybe CTX700 models.

I do know that about half the European VFR1200X Crosstourer riders choose DCT equipped bikes. And, that 96% of new cars sold in the US (2013) are equipped with automatic transmissions. I wonder why that is...
its my hope that because they're offering both it will be one set of pegs/levers, no need for addition after the fact. Rumoured at $13K, yea that would be nice...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
its my hope that because they're offering both it will be one set of pegs/levers, no need for addition after the fact. Rumoured at $13K, yea that would be nice...
Given what we (think we) know now, and comparing a NC700XD at $8200 to a $13K base price plus $1000 for DCT for a CRF1000F, I'm not sure the added value is there to justify the extra $6K cost. The NC700XD has ABS and the auto tranny. Same as CFR1000F DCT, that picks up 50+ HP, loses 75 pounds, adds traction control, probably switchable power output levels, better suspension, and wire wheels. As nice as those features are, for value alone, $13K seems a little greedy to me. But I feel the same way about the VStrom 1000 priced in that range so maybe I'm just cheap. Or maybe I recognize that by the time you walk out of the dealership with a $14,000 (MSRP) motorcycle, with fees, taxes, license, etc. you will be lucky to have an invoice under $16000.

The DCT foot shift device is a stock looking lever/rod assembly that operates a switch wired in between the paddle shifters and DCT controller, so it isn't something that works on both standard and DCT models. Honda sells it in Japan and some other countries as an optional accessory. IMO, it should be standard and the paddles should be optional.

Bill
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 AM

As someone who's had DCT already, it's a no brainer for me to have it again, a really crackng system!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 AM

The DCT works great on other Hondas. I'm looking forward to trying it on my AT.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:07 PM

Garage
more weight, more complexity. Not for me. I come from a GS and I want more simplicity and to avoid issues in the south of Maroco.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page