will new KTM 1090 Adventure R beat Africa Twin? - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 47Likes

post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLrOHPx4oc

Lets see what some journalists think about it.

I'd take either one and ride off into the sunset. Which one you taking, the blond or the brunette?

Ultimately, KTM's reliability issues, most recently with the 1190, the quick succession of a 1290, 1050 and 1090 just don't leave me with much faith in the company's vision or commitment to the customer. KTM had plenty of tricks in the box and more than a year to specifically target the AT's market and the best they could do is squeeze more horsepower by pushing the compression ratio to 13:1 and offering more expensive suspension. Orange fan boys and those who have to have the latest will probably buy it for those reasons but good sense still says the AT is a solid buy as a do it all bike.
Djairouks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Garage
No DCT!!!!!!!!!
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 PM

Having owned both (1190 ADV R and 2017 AT)their are advantages and disadvantages: KTM, side stand bolted directly to crankcase, 20 drop, bike is totaled with 3k miles, limited dealer network, taller in seat, slightly top heavy, Tubeless, FAST FAST FAST, hydraulic clutch
Honda: had to buy center stand and power outlet (I hear thats the same for the 1090 so it's a wash), less top end torque (just an overall observation), cheaper, smaller tank that looks big, narrow overall , no hydraulic clutch (bummer), no factory adjustable windshield mechanism, crappy factory tires

Both bikes will do the job, the KTM is definitely more dirt oriented

Last edited by johnnylu62; 05-15-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: edit text

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylu62 View Post
Having owned both (1190 ADV R and 2017 AT)their are advantages and disadvantages: KTM, side stand bolted directly to crankcase, 20 drop, bike is totaled with 3k miles, limited dealer network, taller in seat, slightly top heavy, Tubeless, FAST FAST FAST, hydraulic clutch
Honda: had to buy center stand and power outlet (I hear thats the same for the 1090 so it's a wash), less top end torque (just an overall observation), cheaper, smaller tank that looks big, narrow overall , no hydraulic clutch (bummer), no factory adjustable windshield mechanism, crappy factory tires

Both bikes will do the job, the KTM is definitely more dirt oriented

Are you serious, they design their bikes absolutely for dirt domination and the side stand is bolted on the engine !!!?
There are flaws on the Honda too, but that to me is really a bad engineering choice for a dirt oriented bike, that will fatally being droped more than once in it's life.

I read on ADV pulse, that also the Brembo brakes are ectually a lower specs on these 1090, compared to the 1290 and in the video posted above, they say these were not nice, that would explain this !
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM

KTM totally dropped the ball on the engineering on the side stand, 3K miles, slow drop and then I get a $16k check from insurance because the damage was almost $9k. Every bike has shortcomings but this has been an issue going back to the 990's (had one of those as well), I like the KTM but can't imagine being 40 miles into a desert ride, dropping it and having to wait for a buddy to go back, get a truck and try to load it.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 AM

Garage
Went and test-ride the 1090, but my camera failed: https://youtu.be/7eswdsGf_r4
So did my mates camera. It seems that KTM dealership here is cursed :P Also people hate my video, it's currently most disliked video I have from this year

But I liked how the 1090 felt, I like 1290 power, but I would still choose Africa Twin. I got to ride the DCT and I loved it. https://youtu.be/jjurU0j3UDs

CRF1000L, wow
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 PM

I just bought an africa twin 2 weeks ago and read everything I could find on both the AT and the KTM, went and rode both and actually hoped I would like the KTM more as I love the look of it. Anyway, I will say the I rode the AT, 1290 and the 1090 back to back. There is only about 15-20 lbs difference in the two KTM's and both are comparable to the AT in weight, at least on paper, but in real world feel, the AT feels 80 lbs lighter as the both KTM's carry their weight very high. The AT is much more nimble. I will admit the power of the 1290 is unreal, and the 1090 is nice as well, but the 1090 isn't a huge difference in power from the AT. The lighter feel of the AT was a big part of why I chose it; the other considerations were the amount of electronic rider aids on the KTM; they are nice but will they be working 5-10 years from now. I do realize the AT has some electronics as well but not nearly to the degree the KTM's do. And reliability; to get 125/160 hp out of a 1090/1290 the engine has much more stress on it (13 to 1 compression vs. I think 9 to 1 on the AT), so I felt like long term reliability could certainly be better on the honda. Don't get me wrong, that 1290 was a blast to ride with such amazing power, but beyond that, it felt like a top heavy pig. The 1090 felt like a top heavy pig with less power, so much so that I feel I would not be comfortable with it in an aggressive off road situation. (I should qualify that last statement, I am an avid off road rider but this is the first adventure bike I've ever owned, I've had many motocross bikes so thats all I could compare them to as far as off road goes and obviously there is no comparison.)
All that said, I would say if you like the KTM you should definitely give the 1290 a look, it seems better in every way than the 1090. Just my .02 cents. I have put just over 300 miles so far on the new AT and love it.
james.mc, -mek-, Djairouks and 2 others like this.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les P View Post
......... I would rather walk in the rain with a AT windscreen on my head than buy a KTM based on that and put my money ($18528) where my mouth was.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:47 AM

After 3 months on the road, last sunday passing all bikers outside, no one following me until a nutjob cut a 180 corner and did about 160 to pass me... I didn't have a good look but I think it was a 1190 or 1290 KTM, so I'm still pretty happy with my Honda. As a side note in switzerland the secondary roads limit is 80 so this guy if caught would be jailed, fined with retinue depending your salary every month and the bike most likely sold by the state...

Went in a cow pasture then, mountain roads and was amazed how easy it felt and I have absolutely no experience in offroading, I just stood up, put TC at 1 and let the bike find its way in the rocks, just avoiding the huge potholes.

So I'd say the AT competes **** well with any motorcycle out there and I'm happier every day !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page