will new KTM 1090 Adventure R beat Africa Twin? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 47Likes

post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

will new KTM 1090 Adventure R beat Africa Twin?

Looks like this new bike from KTM very closely competes with new AT.
Way more power, way bigger tank, lighter, probably better off-road as well, so why would chose AT
anyway?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:49 AM

I smell a troll.
james.mc, eltel62 and AdvArt like this.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 AM

Woohoo!!!!

Troll Bait!!!!

Please don't feed the troll! If you search the OPs other threads, comments, thats all they seem to do is bait people saying mostly negative things bout the AT....

Just thought I'd add a cool AT action shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson View Post
Looks like this new bike from KTM very closely competes with new AT.
Way more power, way bigger tank, lighter, probably better off-road as well, so why would chose AT
anyway?
james.mc, Snowbubble and Mudslingr like this.

Last edited by AdvArt; 05-07-2017 at 08:19 AM.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslingr View Post
I smell a troll.
I smell idiots.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM

It seems indeed that the new KTM is a direct response to the AT. About the same price, but you get the crash bars included. Nonetheless, the bigger fuel tanks is because the KTM is a gas guzzler. Therefore you won't go necessarily farther with the KTM. It will only cost more fuel. ;-) Expect to burn 50% more fuel. Power doesn't come for free. 125hp vs 100hp is not the end of the world when torque is what matter most off road. I also wonder what will be the cost of maintenance on the KTM.

What about the network of dealers when you need parts?

1988 RD03 Africa twin
1996 RD07a Africa Twin

https://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1153795721379442
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Reliability is why I went with ANOTHER Honda. When i'm out where there are no dealers, I want the most reliable thing out there. HP is way more than I need. Hard to say that the KTM isn't a sweet bike with an advantage in almost all performance areas. BUT no DCT. Not for all, but so far, I fricken love it!
acarrilho and pvanryn like this.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Because my dealer who sells both Red and Orange recommended the Africa Twin over the orange one, which won't be available in Canada until late May at the earliest.

Another dealer that sells Orange, Green & Blue was pretty emphatic - 1190 had a number of widely reported reliability 'issues' and would be dropped to end the bad press - the EU 1050 updated to address the 'issues' - and released as a 1090, a 'clean sheet' that 'should' be great because Chris Birch had input to the 1090.

Now I look back and see the Troll comments - apologies for continuing this thread.
eltel62, -mek-, AdvArt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by black99S; 05-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 AM

See a normal person who wasn't trolling would simply ask; "It would appear the KTM 1090 is direct competitor to the Honda Africa Twin. Its priced lower, it has a larger tank, and its lighter. What would be the advantage to the Africa Twin over the KTM?"

Thats how someone who isn't trolling would post something. Then to add in "probably better off-road as well" is just pure trolling... Don't be a douche...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson View Post
I smell idiots.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Hi Robson,

I have a foot in both camps, but I must agree with you, its the dog's danglies. Most KTMs are over priced however I think they pitched this one to maintain a commanding position in the sector and imho it will see the AT off.
Having said that I like my Tri colour manual, I had to sort my spokes myself, however Honda replaced the left switch cluster. KTM can be difficult too.

M
robson likes this.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Looks like good competition for the AT. The 21" front wheel will appeal to the 'off road' adventurers and the adjustable screen might give Honda an idea! Anything which keeps Honda on their toes in terms of price and specs has got to be welcomed. I'd still go for the AT, partly for aesthetics, partly for Honda reliability, but the 1090R looks like a seriously attractive package too.

BTW, as this forum section is about the AT vs the competition, accusations of trolling may be a tad hasty. In fairness to Robson, he invites the question 'why choose the AT?' I'm sure there will be plenty of answers......but, hey, fellas, keep the banter friendly and polite......

Last edited by Tigerjohn; 05-07-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page