HONDA VS HONDA (Crosstourer) - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustPlainBill0

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

HONDA VS HONDA (Crosstourer)

It's not exactly hot news, but the VFR1200X Crosstourer, which has been available in Europe and other markets since 2012, is coming to the US as a 2016 model. http://powersports.honda.com/2016/VFR1200X.aspx - Specifications on the US site are missing important elements, like horsepower and weight but Euro specs for the 2015 Crosstourer can be found here: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...ourer_2015.php

Crosstourer has throttle by wire (no cruise control though) and is available with either DCT or six speed conventional transmissions. It is styled like an Adventurer bike, but, at 600+ pounds wet, isn't well suited to serious off-roading. Programming for the DCT has been revised (same as AT-DCT models) to accommodate uphill and downhill riding conditions.

Pricing for the US is listed as "to be determined" (TBD) but you can be sure it will make the AT look like a bargain in comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Garage
In Europe, CT costs around 15-16k. The dealer I get my bikes and cars said that he sold one with 14000 last year and it had higher windscreen, crashbars (lightbars), topbox and panniers.
Its a really good bike, I considered buying it, but then Honda announced AT. Also, AT has much more comfortable seating position and seat itself. I'm not sure however how good AT is on the road (and offroad), but I've tried CT on light gravel road and it was very OK.

PS! I Did sit on the AT few days ago and I loved every second of it.

CRF1000L, wow
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlanderYT View Post
In Europe, CT costs around 15-16k. The dealer I get my bikes and cars said that he sold one with 14000 last year and it had higher windscreen, crashbars (lightbars), topbox and panniers.
Its a really good bike, I considered buying it, but then Honda announced AT. Also, AT has much more comfortable seating position and seat itself. I'm not sure however how good AT is on the road (and offroad), but I've tried CT on light gravel road and it was very OK.

PS! I Did sit on the AT few days ago and I loved every second of it.
You must be the very first forum member to plant your butt on an AT saddle! Congratulations.

The sport model VFR1200F seems to be priced a little higher (base 16K Euros) than the CrossTourer in Europe. That's surprising and a little bit encouraging. In the US, the VFR1200F base price is 17K USD. Perhaps the price gap between the CT and AT might not be as great as I anticipated. That wont make the Crosstourer direct competition for the Africa Twin, but will fill in the Honda Adventure line with a high end model.
iSlanderYT likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:15 PM

Garage
I might be yes, but not sure I saw AT in Honda HQ here in Baltics. Latvian sales guy actually did the pictures and video and he wasn't allowed to upload them. There are more videos and pictures

CRF1000L, wow
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 AM

How tall are you and did your feet sit flat on the floor?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Garage
I'm 188cm and yes, feet were flat

CRF1000L, wow
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:09 PM

Ergonomics of AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlanderYT View Post
I'm 188cm and yes, feet were flat
188cm is about 6'2" -- How did you find the peg to saddle distance? Cramped or adequate?

Hamburger fattened and in the wind
33K miles on my '12 DR650
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Garage
Very adequate, a bit better than CT.

CRF1000L, wow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page