New AT versus DL1000? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

New AT versus DL1000?

Hi folks new to the site.

Sorry if this question is a repeat, I did a Google search but came up with nothing (strange I know). Point me in the right direction with links if possible.

Now that Honda Canada has released the pricing of the new AT (~$2K more than the Vee2), I'm now wondering/researching between the two bikes.

I thought the Honda was going to be more like $18K versus the $14K in Canada so it was never part of the equation, I was 100% set on the Vee2, but now.......?

My riding with be 80/20 twisty pavement versus foresty road type gravel. I have a CB500X for the knarlier dirt so this new bike will replace my current cruiser and sport tourer.

I know on paper the Vee2 seems to suit my needs better with the smaller front tire, a bit lighter, less $ etc. But I was trying to keep up with a buddy on his 990 in the paved twisties on my CB500X so I'm not sure the 19" versus 21" arguement on the pavement is such a noticeable difference for my ability level.

I do like that the Vee2 is less $ (I owned a '09 Wee as well), reliable, good support and seems to be a well thought out and performing bike, where as the AT is new out of the box this year and who knows how it is going to make out (but then its a Hnnda so I'm pretty confident in its abilities for a 1st year bike).

Anyways, was interested in your perspectives, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:10 PM

At this point, only two members of the forum have yet ridden an Africa Twin - and only another half dozen or so have seen one in the flesh uh, plastic so you wont get much more than opinions here. Plus, reviews from the South Africa launch are tainted a little by the lust moto journalists feel for new models and good living and that lust has a way of fading the morning after. Wait for responsible sites/magazines to conduct full comparisons of the AT up against the VStrom, F800GS, Triumph Tiger, KTM 1050 Adventure, and other adventure bikes that seem competitive, in environments where they will be used. No hurry to decide, it looks like there wont be a supply of AT's coming to North America for a few months more.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 06:42 AM

You can never go wrong with a V-Twin - love the engine characteristics and the linear torque curve you get through all gears. I will always have a soft spot for Ducati's but unfortunately I can only afford one motorcycle so I have to choose the one that is the most versatile and as close to the type of riding I enjoy. Since I don't like to be restricted to any particular riding style I have to go for the best all-rounder. For me that is the Africa Twin.

Having said that, if I look at the DL1000 in comparison to the AT I'd have to say the AT is more off-road biased and the DL1000 more on-road biased. Not by large margins mind you but enough to effect handling in certain situations. Both are very decent motorcycles.

You should probably make your decision based on the style of riding you are planning on doing before taking into account costs and other factors such as service and your nearest dealers etc. No point in spending a fortune on something you are not going to be 100% happy with when something that costs less would hit all the right spots. It's your decision either way and as already mentioned, take your time, consider all the factors.

My 2 cents.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 AM

responsible answers from the others have left not much else to say ahah, well welcome to the boards.

The storm troopers are top heavy from what I've read...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM

From the lanesplitter review:

Quote:
The Honda Africa Twin is the same weight, power, and price of the Suzuki V-Strom 1000, another bike I love. Itís also about 1,000x better off road. The next off road adventure bikes, at least in terms of price, are the Triumph Tiger CX ($12,500), BMW 800 GSA ($13,695), Yamaha Super Tenere ($15,090), KTM 1190 Adventure R ($16,999), and BMW R 1200 GSA ($18,340).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
My riding with be 80/20 twisty pavement versus foresty road type gravel
I don't think twisty pavement is going to be the strong point of the AT. If the forest roads are likely to be nice gravel then I think the Suzuki would be the better choice (its cheaper and available now and probably better on road).
Of course, the issue with forest roads is you never quite know how rough it is going to get around the next bend...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I don't think twisty pavement is going to be the strong point of the AT. If the forest roads are likely to be nice gravel then I think the Suzuki would be the better choice (its cheaper and available now and probably better on road).
Of course, the issue with forest roads is you never quite know how rough it is going to get around the next bend...
IMO, everything the reviews say indicate the AT will walk away from the Stormtroopers on pavement.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 PM

v-strom 1000 anytime of the day (and night) for built quality and engine torque.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
Hi folks new to the site.

Sorry if this question is a repeat, I did a Google search but came up with nothing (strange I know). Point me in the right direction with links if possible.

My riding with be 80/20 twisty pavement versus foresty road type gravel. I have a CB500X for the knarlier dirt so this new bike will replace my current cruiser and sport tourer.

I know on paper the Vee2 seems to suit my needs better with the smaller front tire, a bit lighter, less $ etc. But I was trying to keep up with a buddy on his 990 in the paved twisties on my CB500X so I'm not sure the 19" versus 21" arguement on the pavement is such a noticeable difference for my ability level.

Anyways, was interested in your perspectives, thanks!
I'm a lucky guy as I own both bikes.

The OP should go with the AT if he needs the extra ground clearance. That's the biggest advantage of the AT over the V2. The v2 suspension is surprisingly good in the rough. The switchable abs of the AT is also a nice advantage over v2 for gravel road riding.

About riding twisties and wheel size: the difference in handling is insignificant to me. However, I have a slight preference for the AT,maybe its because I always ridden bikes with 21-18 in wheels before.

Build quality is pretty much equal. The v2 offers lots for the money. For serious forest roads, it lacks ground clearance and wirie wheels.

For highways, V2 wins hands down powerwise. However, I find the AT seat more comfy and can ride it all day long.

Accessing air filters is a pain on both!

AT has better rear break for sure. Front breaks are equal.

Wind protection: its a tie. I am 5,7.

The AT feels much lighter overall.

Turning radius is MUCH better on the AT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page