AT vs KTM/BMW - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 23Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

AT vs KTM/BMW

Ned from ADV wrote a brief piece for CW comparing the AT to various other rivals on the market like the KTM 1190 and 1290, the BMW 1200GS and the S10.

As many have said the closest rival is the KTM 950/990.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/12/24...re-bike-world/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:30 AM

I believe the closest rival is the BMW F800GS.....
DiogoCRF likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I believe the closest rival is the BMW F800GS.....
Ned posted this over on ADV

Quote:
I understand the temptation to compare to the F800, but in my opinion, they are only close on the spec sheet. In person they are chalk and cheese. The F800 is vibey and unbalanced to me, with odd ergonomics for standing. The AT is none of those things... It is closer to the 990, with less "I am channeling the spirit of Meoni" and more "Honda polish and reliability".
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...64796/page-707
rider_marc likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:31 PM

Yes, I read that.....But...the 990 is no longer in production, so I base my obs on current new machinery.
rider_marc and Elvisto like this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:48 AM

I was interested in getting the BMW F800GS at one stage but then the total lack of adjustable suspension up front was the deal breaker for me, especially for going off-road(and the price).

Otherwise a decent motorcycle.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 07:42 PM
GSH

Hi, I have an F650GS, the 800cc twin with a lower spec. I use it is Spain mainly - mostly on road but with with some limited rough surface track use. Contrary to the opinion above I don't find it vibey at all. Quite pleasant and rorty to use in all circumstances and fine whilst standing up too. Plenty of low down torque but not a whole lot of top end - but gets to 100mph plus very rapidly nonetheless. My longest single days run was from Northern France to Moraira in South eastern Spain. 850 miles approx and I can't say that vibes were ever a big problem. I am thinking of the new AT as a replacement as I like the idea of the DCT (I've ridden a friends 1200 DCT and liked it - particularly the inability to stall it at low revs.)
I see the AT as an updated and purpose designed replacement for my current bike with more power - especially for two up with my wife, the DCT box and better off road capabilities - but am not keen on the tubed tyres!
I also have to say that the weight of the AT is a big disappointment. How do Honda manage to add so much of it?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSH View Post
I also have to say that the weight of the AT is a big disappointment. How do Honda manage to add so much of it?
They chose strength over weight - things like the subframe are made of steel and not aluminium. It also may have had something to do with keeping the manufacturing costs down to make the AT more marketable in an already crowded market. If they used lighter alloys/metals then you can be sure the AT wouldn't be selling at its current price.

Anyway, from reading the reviews the AT doesn't feel heavy which is a bonus.
Diamondgeezer and abj like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 05:40 PM

I've ridden the F800 and honestly don't know how they can be classed as vibey and unbalanced ? I found it to be really nice and although not super smooth, it certainly didn't give me white finger or tingles in my hands or feet. If anything, it has 'character' !
Still wouldn't buy one tho ' !!!
Sloth likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:01 PM

Hate that beak on the BMW GS.
Dave CT likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page